Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: etc. Jul 18, 2012, 00:58 Sepharo

That's basically my story but 5 years earlier. We lanned CS like 50 times in 2000. Had friends that were sponsored by LAN centers, other friends who "ran" LAN centers at like age 16 for Koreans who could barely speak English. Somebody was always building a new machine which always seemed to be a group effort. 1999-2002 were damn fun years with CS, Q3, tribes 2, and BF1942.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2012, 23:49 jimnms

The best year in gaming history for me had nothing to do with the games that came out and more to do with my gaming experience. All of my good friends I met pre-internet era through a local BBS where we would arrange Doom 2 matches playing over direct modem connections, which led to 4 player lan parties with Doom 2 and later Duke Nukem 3D.

Enter the internet era, we all had tech jobs in town, a few of the guys started a local computer shop selling custom built systems and offering tech support. We starting having LAN parties there occasionally on weekends. At first it was small, usually 6-8 of us and, then somehow word got out around town and eventually it became a regular weekly event with 16-20 people just showing up. We would split up into teams and played Threewave CTF and other mods for Quake, then eventually moving to Quake 2 once good mods were out for it. To me that was the best year(s) in gaming history.

I don't know how long it lasted, at least a year or more before they closed the shop when a CompUSA opened up. Those are the year(s) I'll never forget.

Steam Profile

2. Re: Best Year In Gaming History Jul 17, 2012, 17:57 Luke

Prez wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:19:
It might be nigh impossible to get everyone to agree on a single best year of all time, but I find it hard to beleive that anyone would argue that there has ever been a 24 month period as prolific as the '98/'99 era in the history of gaming.

When games were made with passion and talent , not like todays "wannabe" making games for the stockholders.

1. Best Year In Gaming History Jul 17, 2012, 17:19 Prez

It might be nigh impossible to get everyone to agree on a single best year of all time, but I find it hard to beleive that anyone would argue that there has ever been a 24 month period as prolific as the '98/'99 era in the history of gaming.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo