Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So "crating" the Gunnar-man up in my office has worked as a practical solution to him marking in the house, even if it doesn't address the root cause. He seems to enjoy feeling special, the AC up here doesn't hurt, and Hudson the wonder dog doesn't seem to mind him leaving her alone during the day, as that suits a terrier, especially an elderly one. Of course, there's always a twist to be found. We were up here when Hudson started pawing at the door, and when I opened it, she was there in a huge puddle of *her* urine! I barely had time to register the odd question of whether it was actually her peeing in the house, when her nemesis the smoke detector chirped the low battery warning that she hates so much, at which point she ran upstairs, leaving me with the solution to the mystery of what happened, and a big puddle to clean. As my nanna used to say... it's always something.

Wet Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Glean.
Ice Breaker: The Red Clan.
Links: Comic-Con- Who, Thrones, SOA & More TV.
World's First LEGO Colosseum Is a Museum Exhibit.
Stories: Six Careers for People Who Don't Like People.
Science: Scientists take a birdís eye view to prevent bird-aircraft collisions.
Can non-Newtonian fluid behavior explain stuck ketchup bottles.
Emoticons: A translation.
What is This: The Oregon Trail?
Media: Robert Downey Jr. At Comic Con: Iron Man Dances To Luther Vandross.
Mudslide Caught On Camera In British Columbia (Canada). Thanks nin.
Dentally Disturbed.
Follow-up: Honest Trailers: The Dark Knight. NSFW.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2012, 09:53 Verno

I haven't seen that one but I have seen "BUY DIABLO 3 GOLD!!!!" ads which are really kinda iffy IMO.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 22:52 MisterBenn

Is anyone having trouble with the "Curry's Knowhow" adverts on this site? They make both my cores stick at 100% and I can barely scroll the page. I am on Firefox 14 on Windows 7 x64, and have never had this trouble. The top, top right and sidebar adverts were all Curry's at once, and the Flash player pluging saturated both CPUs and was consuming about 75Mb memory. I killed the player but when I came here to post all 3 ads reappeared on the new page and the same problem repeated. Not that I trust Adobe Flash player 100% at all but I've not had something like this before...

Edit: I tried again, also no other adverts rotate in at the moment, it's just Curry's! It's also not a bug, if I don't kill the ads and navigate away the resource usage returns to normal. The ads simply consume that much PC it seems. This is my main gaming PC and the ads slow down the loading of the page a lot and allow me about a screen update every 3 seconds when I try to scroll.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 22:40 Mr. Tact

Being an introvert doesn't mean you don't have good communication or social skills. Just that you prefer to exercise them in small groups.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 22:13 Sepharo

Longswd wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 21:42:
Six Careers for People Who Don't Like People.

That's not a story, it's a full page ad.

It's also bullshit. I can't speak for the rest of the professions, but if you're a software developer, unless you're working alone, you better have people skills. You don't need to be sociable but you need to be able to communicate and collaborate better than you would in most careers.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 21:55 eRe4s3r

Imo given the world situation not having children is doing the world a greater favor All children today will experience is crisis after crisis and dwindling democracy and capitalism.

That said I admit, I may be over-estimating the hassle of dogs. To me, a cat is a nice enough thing to have. Besides, my cat is fluffy!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 21:47 Sepharo

Dades wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 21:46:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 20:58:
I feel like I haven't seen a glass bottle of ketchup in a decade.

I see them all the time at restaurants and grocery stores.

I seem to only go to places with squeeze bottles or they get fancy and bring it in a little dish. edit: Oh I forgot giant dispensers. Need a dispenser here!

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 21:56.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 21:46 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 20:58:

I see them all the time at restaurants and grocery stores.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 21:42 Longswd

Six Careers for People Who Don't Like People.

That's not a story, it's a full page ad.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 20:58 Sepharo

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 20:50 nin

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 20:35:
nin wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:11:

If you tap the glass Heinz bottle on the neck, right where the little "57" stamp is, the ketchup will flow freely.

Indeed. Works like a charm...

I'm always amazed how most people don't know that trick.

I find folks all the time that haven't heard of it. Of course, more and more we're seeing the plastic/plant squeeze bottles around here.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 20:35 Cutter

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:11:

If you tap the glass Heinz bottle on the neck, right where the little "57" stamp is, the ketchup will flow freely.

I'm always amazed how most people don't know that trick.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 19:00 space captain

wild dogs are trained by the elders of their pack, who were trained by their elders and so on.. the socialization goes hand in hand with instinct... which modern man has lost all connection to, at least consciously

it takes animal nature to communicate with animal nature.. you wont convince a dog of anything by reasoning it out or trying to rationalize your way through it

you have to BE the leader, not just put up a convincing argument.. talk is cheap and ultimately meaningless in this context - only action counts and that means when you want to set an example, you live and breathe it

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 17:41 Hoop

So did it flash through your mind "Did I pee in here at some point?".

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2012, 01:14.

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 15:11 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 14:42 NegaDeath

Dogs are awesome regardless of the stains they can leave. It's been about 5 years since mine passed but I still miss her (got her as a kid, I was the one she stuck to the most). She was a best friend for about 12 great years. I'd get a new dog but being single, working lots and living in an apartment isn't fair to an animal like that. The thing I probably miss most is coming home after a terrible shift and she was always there happy to see me and able to make me smile and forget the troubles of the day.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 14:08 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:41:
That and blues regular tales is why I would never keep such unstable animals.

Dogs are like many other rewarding things in life that can also be a responsibility. They require work, love, patience and attention. In return you get a companion who unreservedly loves you back. If a bit of dog piss on the floor scares you off then do the world a favor and don't even entertain the idea of having children.

Best post on dogs ever. When I get home, there is nothing better than 3 the lab monsters to give me more love than I could ever deserve.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 14:00 Killer Kane

...and Blue leads such a glamorous life

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 13:44 Mr. Tact

I like dogs, and my family had one when I was growing up, but the "maintenance effort" required is too high for my tastes... and no, I have no intentions of ever being a father.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 13:56.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 13:18 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:41:
That and blues regular tales is why I would never keep such unstable animals.

Dogs are like many other rewarding things in life that can also be a responsibility. They require work, love, patience and attention. In return you get a companion who unreservedly loves you back. If a bit of dog piss on the floor scares you off then do the world a favor and don't even entertain the idea of having children.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2012, 13:02 SimplyMonk

kanniballl wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:12:
Seriously, he enjoys hanging out in the Den and stays there almost ALL day. But close the kitchen-door to the Family Room (still giving him access to Den AND Kitchen) and he wants out.

We have two huskies and it is the exact same thing. They will lie under my desk or under my fiance's desk for hours on end in different positions. Close the door to the office and they just sit right in front it whimpering like it is the end of the world. Open it and they will run around like crazy for a few minutes until they figure out nothing changed.... then come right back into the office and plop down.

kanniballl wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:57:
Nah, dogs are awesome pets.

Can't agree more. Dog parks are great for getting a lot of the socialization problems out of the way. Once our pups were vaccinated we started taking them down there and that helped work out a lot of the issues with other people and other dogs. You have to be very mindful though of your pup and other pups at the parks though because other people usually aren't or their dogs don't socialize well and things can get very ugly to the level of blood and police being involved. If you see a hint of a problem, it is usually best just to pack your pup up and go for a walk. That being said, our pups are now great with kids and have no problems on walks when most other dogs are encountered.

The best thing I could ever suggest for a dog owner is to establish a regular pattern with your pup. Make it active, involve them in the little things in your life, but keep the pattern of exercise/feeding/bathroom basically the same and you won't have many problems once they learn the rituals.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo