Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Linux Plans

Steam’d Penguins on the Valve Website has new details on Valve's progress in adding Linux support to Steam and their games. Here's word on their progress on a Linux Steam client and a Linux edition of Left 4 Dead 2:

The goal of the Steam client project is a fully-featured Steam client running on Ubuntu 12.04. We’ve made good progress this year and now have the Steam client running on Ubuntu with all major features available. We’re still giving attention and effort to minor features but it’s a good experience at the moment. In the near future, we will be setting up an internal beta focusing on the auto-update experience and compatibility testing.

Since the Steam client isn’t much without a game, we’re also porting L4D2 to Ubuntu. This tests the game-related features of the Steam client, in addition to L4D2 gameplay on Ubuntu. Over the last few months, excellent progress has been made on several fronts and it now runs natively on Ubuntu 12.04. We’re working hard to improve the performance and have made good progress (more on that in a future post). Our goal is to have L4D2 performing under Linux as well as it performs under Windows.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

28. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 13:40 theyarecomingforyou

Trashy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:27:
First off, Linux is just the OS kernel.. it doesn't look like anything it just boots up the Operating system whether it's a GNU/FOSS distribution or Android.
You know very well what I meant, so let's not play the "act dumb" routine. I was referring to Linux distributions.

It can look like anything you want there are plenty of nice looking Windows managers.
And it's the same with Windows, as there are a variety of skinning applications and alternative shells. But I haven't found any that compare to Windows 7 / 8 or Explorer. Ubuntu has improved a lot over the years and I like the concept of the side app bar but the UI still looks nowhere near as clean or elegant as Windows.

Also Linux for me is more of a office work and programming platform which if you need to get shit done you do it in Linux.
It doesn't support most productivity applications - from Adobe's Creative Suite to DAW software like Cubase or Protools. It supports office apps and programming but those are achievable via web browsers anyway and the Windows alternatives - like Office - are better than the Linux offerings.

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:44:
It actually has pretty wide and varied driver support these days
Yes, but still inferior to Windows by a large margin.

It doesn't have a "poor user experience" either, you can build a completely idiot proof Linux box and there are several distros to do just that with a simple flash drive install.
Yet despite all the improvements that have been made it is still far from as simple and easy to use as Windows.

It doesn't have poor support for applications, it has poor support for commercial Windows applications which is kind of a DUH thing to say.
No, as even Macs have decent application support - from Adobe Creative Suite to DAWs, etc. Linux simply doesn't have close to the same application ecosystem.

It has an objectively superior permission environment to Windows.
Yes, but that alone does not make it a good operating system, let alone a superior one.

Windows - despite all its problems - offers a considerably better experience than Linux. I could not switch to any Linux distro and still do most of the things I do with my PC. Sure I could browse the internet or create word documents but my sound card isn't supported, I can't record and mix audio projects, I can't do gaming worth a damn, etc.

Agrajag wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 09:20:
Case in point: my technophobe grandmother's last 2 computers have been Linux netbooks... (First a EeePC, then a Dell, both pre-installed with Linux...) She manages to use them just fine... (Of course, pretty much the only 2 apps she ever uses are Firefox and OpenOffice, but that's all she has any need for, too...)
As I said, if all you need is a web browser and a basic word processor then Linux is fine. But if that's the case then you might as well just use Chrome OS and do away with the rest of the operating system altogether - just have the web browser.

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 09:01:
Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc.

Wow...thank goodness none of that is based in fact.
So most hardware manufacturers ship and maintain drivers and utilities that match their Windows counterparts now? So I can run Max Payne 3 on Linux? So there's now a credible alternative to Cubase / Protools on Linux? So there's now a Linux version of the bus routing and drivers for my Saffire Pro 40 soundcard? For me OSX is just as bad for my needs because it doesn't support most games but it at least handles all the rest of my needs. Linux doesn't.

I don't hate Linux or even dislike it. It just offers me nothing but disadvantages over Windows. I mean, this post is talking about porting a three year old game so that it might approach performance similar to that of Windows. It's a step in the right direction but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty pointless in and of itself. I'm glad that Valve is trying to improve gaming on Linux and Mac but they've got a LONG way to go.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 13:11 Boston

Makes sense. This has to be Valve's long term strategy for survival. If Metro takes off and Windows users use Metro almost exclusively, they won't use Steam and rather use Microsoft web store to buy games and apps (because 3rd party app stores are not allowed under Metro interface).  

26. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 12:54 Dunkirk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:07:
Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc. To claim that it is superior to Windows is laughable. That's not to say it doesn't have many merits but if you want to do anything practical with your computer then that pretty much rules out Linux.

The year 2000 called. They want their anti-Linux flamebait back.

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

25. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 09:20 Agrajag

It doesn't have a "poor user experience" either, you can build a completely idiot proof Linux box

Case in point: my technophobe grandmother's last 2 computers have been Linux netbooks... (First a EeePC, then a Dell, both pre-installed with Linux...) She manages to use them just fine... (Of course, pretty much the only 2 apps she ever uses are Firefox and OpenOffice, but that's all she has any need for, too...) She would not be any better off in the slightest way with a Windows computer instead... And, I don't need to worry about her accidentally downloading and running the latest Windows trojan of the day... (Go ahead, and try to get her to load an xterm and "chmod" your Linux trojan so she can run it!)

24. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 09:12 kookaveetsa

Hey M$ trolls, you're not using so stfu and gtfo. Cool  

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

23. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 09:01 nin

Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc.

Wow...thank goodness none of that is based in fact.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 08:44 Verno

Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc. To claim that it is superior to Windows is laughable. That's not to say it doesn't have many merits but if you want to do anything practical with your computer then that pretty much rules out Linux.

I don't agree that Windows is "inferior" either but your post is full of ignorance and doesn't really do much to help address what he said. Linux doesn't "look like ass", it's a kernel. It actually has pretty wide and varied driver support these days, even things like Nvidias binary drivers have come a long way. It doesn't have a "poor user experience" either, you can build a completely idiot proof Linux box and there are several distros to do just that with a simple flash drive install. It doesn't have poor support for applications, it has poor support for commercial Windows applications which is kind of a DUH thing to say. It has an objectively superior permission environment to Windows.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

21. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 08:27 Trashy

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 03:01:
With all that in mind, it makes sense that serious computer users who also happen to be gamers would love to finally be free of Windows once and for all. It's not about fighting the power -- although maybe it is for some people -- it's about not being stuck with an inferior OS simply because you like to play games.

That said, I support any attempt to improve the gaming situation on Linux (and on Macs) and am glad that Valve is leading the way. Improving game support would diminish one of the main advantages that Windows currently has and can only help improve competition in the OS market.

First off, Linux is just the OS kernel.. it doesn't look like anything it just boots up the Operating system whether it's a GNU/FOSS distribution or Android.. It can look like anything you want there are plenty of nice looking Windows managers. It is superior to Windows in usability and functionality.. Ubuntu has made good strides of opening things up for the general user. It's different, but not necessarily hard to use. Also Linux for me is more of a office work and programming platform which if you need to get shit done you do it in Linux.. Honestly I don't really care if Linux becomes mainstream, I'll still use it as my Primary operating system like I have for the past 12 years.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 08:36.

20. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 08:07 theyarecomingforyou

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 03:01:
With all that in mind, it makes sense that serious computer users who also happen to be gamers would love to finally be free of Windows once and for all. It's not about fighting the power -- although maybe it is for some people -- it's about not being stuck with an inferior OS simply because you like to play games.

That said, I support any attempt to improve the gaming situation on Linux (and on Macs) and am glad that Valve is leading the way. Improving game support would diminish one of the main advantages that Windows currently has and can only help improve competition in the OS market.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 07:51 wtf_man

Games on Linux (Desktop) make about as much sense as games on OSX... and I've had an iMac for my non-gaming needs since 2007. I run zero games on it.

As mobile games get more robust (Android and IOS), an emulator that properly adjusts for screen resolution, keyboard, and mouse makes more sense for gaming on the non-windows platforms, rather than full blown *nix desktop games. There really just isn't the support, nor the momentum for them.

18. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 06:32 Agrajag

finga wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 04:41:
Well, and nearly all game developers have to ditch DirectX and use OpenGL instead. This is not trivial. There's no "Build for Linux" button.

True, but if they're already releasing a MacOSX version, they're presumably already using OpenGL anyway, so doing a Linux port won't be much more effort...

17. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 06:09 Silicon Avatar

Command line Windows/Windows Server and the different variants of Unix and BSD can do about the same stuff. It's just a matter of what you want to use and who you want to pay (or not pay).

If the rumors of Valve console are true then it would make sense for them to use some sort of Linux to save money.

16. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 04:41 finga

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 21:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 21:20:
Don't games have a HELL of a time working under Linux? Would they then make sure all their games worked? Seems pretty difficult to muster doesn't it? Or what? Have L4D2 work and that is it? pfft. Not worth the effort....
]

Not really, its just a different OS more then anything.
Well, and nearly all game developers have to ditch DirectX and use OpenGL instead. This is not trivial. There's no "Build for Linux" button.

15. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 03:01 Scottish Martial Arts

ChaosEngine wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:55:
Yeah, fight the power! After all these years, maybe you'll finally defeat the evil M$ and maybe even lose your virginity too.

If you actually know anything about computing, then by and large Windows is, and always has been, a highly unsatisfying experience. Macs are a bit better but they're too expensive, are a closed system, and are permanently wedded to the GUI, which is hardly the power user's native environment. That leaves Unix/Linux, which also happens to be by far the most well designed operating system around. With all that in mind, it makes sense that serious computer users who also happen to be gamers would love to finally be free of Windows once and for all. It's not about fighting the power -- although maybe it is for some people -- it's about not being stuck with an inferior OS simply because you like to play games.

14. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 02:18 Dev

Yeah, fight the power! After all these years, maybe you'll finally defeat the evil M$ and maybe even lose your virginity too.

They are pretty nasty. Look at how they've basically done their best to kill PC gaming to try and get more console sales.

Whats hilarious is how some of the crap and stupidity they've done is coming back to bite them. Splitting off from NBC, losing over $10 billion in their online divisions (such as bing, etc) its fun watching them go nuts.
Now the latest with tripling the OEM price for windows 8 phones (its like they don't want to actually sell any they are so greedy), and trying to make all windows apps go through the new MS marketplace, etc. Maybe they figure people will just suck up and take anything they throw at them.

13. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 01:45 Kitkoan

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:29:
BUT Linux and Mac OS are very similar in terms of graphics and so it really isn't "hard." Really worth it if we can leave M$ behind and get our own "Gaming OS."

Will that include fighting the evil O$X empire too? All from the comfort of my parents basement?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

12. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 01:44 Kitkoan

Slashman wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:26:
headkase wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:27:
Good news for me. I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 as my only operating system. I also have a huge library of Steam games that I'm currently not using as per the previous sentence.

Perhaps I missed something...but why would you have a huge library of Steam games and still be running only Linux?

First thought is all those Humble Indie Bundles, they all (but the first I think) had Steam keys. Now what will make this really interesting is that all those Humble Bundles had Linux games AND Steam keys. What this means is that every Linux gamer that put money to those Humble Bundles can possibly look forward to 50+ish Linux games ready and waiting for them on Steam for Linux Day 1 and they are all already in their account, not waiting to be purchased.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

11. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 00:55 ChaosEngine

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:29:
BUT Linux and Mac OS are very similar in terms of graphics and so it really isn't "hard." Really worth it if we can leave M$ behind and get our own "Gaming OS."

10. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 00:39 headkase

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:19:
headkase wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:53:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:36:
Have you tried using PlayOnLinx? Its pretty much an installer for Windows games with a preset Wine setup. So it will install your Windows game with the best working version of Wine for that program and the extras it needs.

Just installed it now, thanks. I remember trying it ages ago but at that time I already had a Crossover license so I didn't stick with it. This new version I just installed, after a few years, looks good - I'll have to kick the tires and see how good..

Works good for me. I remember when it first came out... wasn't good but glad to see it's improved.

Yes, last time I tried PlayonLinux it was pretty primitive: right away I can see that it is much more polished.

Slashman wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:26:
headkase wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:27:
Good news for me. I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 as my only operating system. I also have a huge library of Steam games that I'm currently not using as per the previous sentence.

Perhaps I missed something...but why would you have a huge library of Steam games and still be running only Linux?

Because I haven't always just run Linux as my only OS. For a while I ran it in a virtual machine, then I dual-booted, and now it is all that is installed. It's a gateway OS I tell ya..

9. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 00:29 UConnBBall

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 21:20:
Don't games have a HELL of a time working under Linux? Would they then make sure all their games worked? Seems pretty difficult to muster doesn't it? Or what? Have L4D2 work and that is it? pfft. Not worth the effort....

Actually Linux isn't hard its the graphics drivers that can cause the issues. Thank You NVIDIA! Google Linux creators love for them. Anyways I still can play a ton of FPS and other games at a good FPS in Linux running Wine so it is worth the effort.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo