Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Linux Plans

Steam’d Penguins on the Valve Website has new details on Valve's progress in adding Linux support to Steam and their games. Here's word on their progress on a Linux Steam client and a Linux edition of Left 4 Dead 2:

The goal of the Steam client project is a fully-featured Steam client running on Ubuntu 12.04. We’ve made good progress this year and now have the Steam client running on Ubuntu with all major features available. We’re still giving attention and effort to minor features but it’s a good experience at the moment. In the near future, we will be setting up an internal beta focusing on the auto-update experience and compatibility testing.

Since the Steam client isn’t much without a game, we’re also porting L4D2 to Ubuntu. This tests the game-related features of the Steam client, in addition to L4D2 gameplay on Ubuntu. Over the last few months, excellent progress has been made on several fronts and it now runs natively on Ubuntu 12.04. We’re working hard to improve the performance and have made good progress (more on that in a future post). Our goal is to have L4D2 performing under Linux as well as it performs under Windows.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 19, 2012, 22:18 2nd_floor

I think Unix/Linux does a good bit to help Valve and others, and not only run their businesses, but basically keep their 24/7 incredible profit generating services going. Enough people have asked for Linux support from Blizzard, Valve, Rockstar, Bungie, etc..., and for the amount that these companies depend on Unix/Linux, they have more than enough resources to release Linux versions, as a way of acknowledging the free OS.

Blizzard and Bungie made Mac versions of their games, because they wanted to. But I think we'll find that it's important to thank and give back to what you use and depend on, and in this case that means Linux games. Just watch

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 19, 2012, 10:10 Ant

Yay! I used to play Quake 3 Arena, its mods, Enemy Territory, RTCW, etc. in Linux (Red Hat). It's a lot work! Ugh. I tried Diablo 2 and others with Crossover's WINE or something. It lost speed, and visual and audio effects.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

66. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 18, 2012, 11:25 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 10:03:
Well the genesis of this thread was a guy advocating command lines over GUIs. I don't think the average user would fare better with a CLI. I don't have a problem with someone saying a CLI is more powerful and efficient than a GUI but was just riffing on the idea of someone capable with a CLI "flailing" with a mouse.

I was commenting specifically on the video link, not the GUI vs CLI argument. He's right in the sense that most people do "flail about with the mouse" but wrong in the sense that a CLI would be any improvement for those folks. Most people are like that and just need a basic GUI. Whether that GUI is Ubuntu or Windows doesn't really matter anymore thanks to web based applications seemingly becoming the future for many companies. It's a shame because computers have advanced so far and all people seem to want to do with them is post 140 character messages about Kim Kardashian.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

65. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 18, 2012, 10:03 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 09:41:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 06:55:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 20:08:
I'm picturing the part in infomercials where the scene goes black and white and the person is shown to be incapable of doing simple things.
I'm pretty sure he thinks we're all like this.

Haha you've obviously never worked in a big company or done any significant IT work with the public. I've got news for you, the average user is pretty much that person. In fact most people don't have his patience. There's a reason Mac devices are becoming so successful and it's not just the Apple catchet. Just looking up your favorite game on PC forums can be infuriating at times because the forums are filled with people like that who need support or don't understand something.

Well the genesis of this thread was a guy advocating command lines over GUIs. I don't think the average user would fare better with a CLI. I don't have a problem with someone saying a CLI is more powerful and efficient than a GUI but was just riffing on the idea of someone capable with a CLI "flailing" with a mouse.

64. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 18, 2012, 09:41 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 06:55:
I'm picturing the part in infomercials where the scene goes black and white and the person is shown to be incapable of doing simple things.

Haha you've obviously never worked in a big company or done any significant IT work with the public. I've got news for you, the average user is pretty much that person. In fact most people don't have his patience. There's a reason Mac devices are becoming so successful and it's not just the Apple catchet. Just looking up your favorite game on PC forums can be infuriating at times because the forums are filled with people like that who need support or don't understand something.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

63. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 18, 2012, 07:55 Beamer

2nd_floor wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 21:58:
Go to www.netcraft.com, and in the upper left hand corner under "What's that site running", type in Valve's URLs.

Valve have generated billions of dollars and huge market share by running Linux on their servers. Yet, they have never raised a finger to help Linux, or acknowledge it for the success they have enjoyed due to it. (neither have any other companies that run Linux on their servers either, it's not just Valve by any means.) These companies would not be what they are today without Unix/Linux.

Unfortunate for these companies. Don't expect other people to do your work for you.

Yeah, man! And I also heard that Gabe has a TomTom and uses it when he travels, which means it made Valve what it is, but they haven't ported Half Life to it yet!
Companies need to support every single thing that they ever touch in a business setting or else they're jerks! Port TF2 to your TI-95 you lazy jerks!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

62. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 18, 2012, 07:30 Dades

theyarecomingforyou wrote:
We're not starting that up again.

I think you deserved that for the retarded Linux looks like ass comments. You keep insisting you use Linux but have been wrong on several points, only refer to it in vague terms and show no practical knowledge of it.

As for being concerned about Windows 8 being a "turd", I don't think that's a serious concern. Windows ME and Vista didn't send people running to Macs or Linux; they simply stuck with the existing version of Windows that they had.

The landscape of computing today is a lot different than Vista was released. Microsoft is competing for mindshare with mobile operating systems, living room devices, tablets and more. Much like RIM once seemed untouchable in the mobile space and is now on a downward trend, Microsoft won't get a free pass forever because of Office and Windows.

I doubt Linux will be a threat to that but it doesn't have to be the only one, it will be a bunch of different things chinking away at their armor. People have stabilized their needs and most of them only need a web browser and very basic office productivity software. Even Linux can deliver that without issue. Gaming is one of the last exclusive havens and Microsoft has totally neglected it in favor of a console market that they still haven't won. I think Valve is being cautious, not just fishing for more customers.

61. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 18, 2012, 06:55 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

60. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 21:58 2nd_floor

Go to www.netcraft.com, and in the upper left hand corner under "What's that site running", type in Valve's URLs.

Valve have generated billions of dollars and huge market share by running Linux on their servers. Yet, they have never raised a finger to help Linux, or acknowledge it for the success they have enjoyed due to it. (neither have any other companies that run Linux on their servers either, it's not just Valve by any means.) These companies would not be what they are today without Unix/Linux.

Unfortunate for these companies. Don't expect other people to do your work for you.

59. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 20:08 Sepharo

Trashy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 20:01:
Yes I am suggesting CLI is better and I guess we disagree.. It takes me less time to type out what I need than it does to flail around with a mouse and navigate menus.

58. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 20:07 Trashy

Agrajag wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 19:45:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:45:
GUIs have their uses, I don't dispute that.

Yes, mainly for running a bunch of simultaneous xterms... ;-)

This!

57. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 20:06 Jay

Have you guys tried Windows's new PowerShell? It's pretty good, IMO.  

56. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 20:01 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 19:27:

I'm sorry but if you're suggesting that a CLI is a better way to manage files than a GUI then we fundamentally disagree. And you'll find few who will agree with you.

Yes I am suggesting CLI is better and I guess we disagree.. It takes me less time to type out what I need than it does to flail around with a mouse and navigate menus.

55. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 19:57 Sepharo

What're you moving so many files around for? Just do it right the first time geez  

54. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm sorry but if you're suggesting that a CLI is a better way to manage files than a GUI then we fundamentally disagree. And you'll find few who will agree with you.

Only because they've never properly learned how to use the Linux shell. Need to find a file containing the string Bob in a huge mess of directories?

ls -R | grep Bob

Want the results sorted? Use the history functionality to repeat the last command and pipe it to sort:

fc -s | sort

Want all the pdf files displayed in the current directory?

ls *.pdf

Want to remove exactly those files that the previous listing brought up?

fc -s 'ls=rm'

Hey that last one seems like it could be useful on a regular basis, why don't we alias it?

alias del='fc -s ls=rm'

Now we just have to type del to get the same functionality.

I could go on -- through regular expressions you can match just about any pattern -- and this is completely ignoring the programmability of bash. You can create scripts that completely automate complex file management. Need to rename all the files in a database containing tens of thousands of entries? Spend 10 minutes to write the script, a few seconds to execute the script, and you can accomplish what would literally take months to achieve manually.

53. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 19:45 Agrajag

GUIs have their uses, I don't dispute that.

Yes, mainly for running a bunch of simultaneous xterms... ;-)

52. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 19:27 theyarecomingforyou

It's an aesthetic call so we'll have to agree to disagree. Ubuntu's implementation of Gnome isn't the only desktop environment in the world of Linux however, and before you dismiss a monolithic Linux as being ugly and difficult to use, you might want to examine some of the other distros and desktop environments. Maybe KDE is the desktop environment you've always dreamed of but never knew to try.
I regularly check out some of the main Linux distros, usually due to reviews and previews on tech sites. My decision wasn't basely solely on Ubuntu.

Not in the Unix CLI. Between regular expressions, recursive copying, and filepath completion, you can accomplish very complex file management tasks quickly, easily and efficiently. Toss in some aliases, and scripting functionality, and GUI file managers look downright primitive in comparison.
I'm sorry but I completely disagree.

Trashy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:48:
Not necessarily true, for example if you only need to copy specific file names or a specific type.

say you have 300 files of varying file types in a folder, you only need to copy the PDF files that start with bill_

you can copy them to a folder with this quick command
cp bill_*pdf /home/username/blah/

or you can spend 2 to 5 minutes arranging your file explorer to show what you want to see and then ctrl or shift click your way to select all the files you want.
Navigate to folder, sort by file type, shift-select files (which are automatically sorted by name) - that takes seconds. Plus you can type the same expression into the search bar and drag-select the files should you desire. And GUIs are much better when you're not exactly sure of the files you want. More importantly GUIs expose functionality rather than requiring you to memorise every command you'll need, as well as allowing for customisability to better suit your needs.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

51. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 19:17 Dev

Dades wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:03:
Do you think Valve decides to commit millions in resources to development on inferior operating systems going nowhere if they could just stick with Windows and not worry about it? Maybe like many other people, they are worried about Windows 8 being a turd.
Since they mostly do stuff thats interesting to them, without much regard to the expense... yes, they may well do that.

Valve could completely stop developing games and live off of steam income for the foreseeable future, and still not have to worry about their income stream.
Trashy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:57:
Due to the sensitivity of my work I can't use google docs nor any other cloud based storage site that would put any kind of work specific data outside of the corporate firewall, It's in my company's corporate policy. Even if I could, I wouldn't trust google with handling any of my work.
And all those concerns are just about the normal cloud stuff like someone accidently sharing. In addition you never know if hackers will steal stuff. Plus that doesn't even count the intentional problems. Companies like MS sometimes put in their TOS that they get unlimited rights to proprietary stuff that goes through their servers (which means they could patent or trademark or copyright stuff just because it was sent in the cloud)

50. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 18:48 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:27:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:33:
You seem to be making the argument that user-friendliness is superior to utility. A simple tool, while easier to learn, has fewer uses than a complex tool. The reality is that while GUI's are easier to learn, they are by definition less useful. Rather than telling the computer what to do, the computer presents you with options and you pick among them.
You speak as if CLIs are inherently faster and most efficient for everything. If I want to copy files from one folder to another it is much quicker to do so via Explorer than CLI, especially if the folders are several levels deep and have long file names. You also get graphical previews, meta information and selection tools (like inverse select) to speed things up. For most of the tasks an average user carries out (copying, transfers, app launching) it is much quicker to use a GUI than a CLI. So if it's more user friendly and more efficient then surely that's a win-win?

Not necessarily true, for example if you only need to copy specific file names or a specific type.

say you have 300 files of varying file types in a folder, you only need to copy the PDF files that start with bill_

you can copy them to a folder with this quick command
cp bill_*pdf /home/username/blah/

or you can spend 2 to 5 minutes arranging your file explorer to show what you want to see and then ctrl or shift click your way to select all the files you want.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 18:59.

49. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 18:45 Scottish Martial Arts

If I want to copy files from one folder to another it is much quicker to do so via Explorer than CLI, especially if the folders are several levels deep and have long file names.

Not in the Unix CLI. Between regular expressions, recursive copying, and filepath completion, you can accomplish very complex file management tasks quickly, easily and efficiently. Toss in some aliases, and scripting functionality, and GUI file managers look downright primitive in comparison.

As nice as all that it is isn't relevant to 95% of computer users.

Maybe not. My contention however is that for enthusiasts it's entirely relevant and in fact decisive in determining which OS to use.

Yet look at the "serious" uses for GUIs - movie editing, graphic production, 3D modelling, audio production, medical equipment, office work, finance / accounting, print media, architecture, etc.

GUIs have their uses, I don't dispute that. I do believe however that the CLI is going to be the tool of choice of anyone that takes the time to learn how powerful it is.

The link doesn't work but I was going by images like this and this. I just don't think it looks at all refined, from the colour scheme, to the icons and borders, to the top bar.

It's an aesthetic call so we'll have to agree to disagree. Ubuntu's implementation of Gnome isn't the only desktop environment in the world of Linux however, and before you dismiss a monolithic Linux as being ugly and difficult to use, you might want to examine some of the other distros and desktop environments. Maybe KDE is the desktop environment you've always dreamed of but never knew to try.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo