Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends

The Ubisoft forums have an apology from Ubisoft for an outage in the Uplay service, which failed to live up to its name as Ubi's online DRM servers went down over the weekend, preventing their games from being authenticated and leaving them unplayable. Word is: "The Uplay PC service should now be up and running properly. Please try logging into your game and let us know if you have any issues," and word on Destructoid is that this us due to demand from the ongoing Steam sale, supported by Steam Support's retweet of Ubi's tweet about the outage (thanks Chris via Reddit).

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 19, 2012, 10:40 Ant

DRM FTL!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: And... Jul 17, 2012, 11:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Closed Betas wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 18:55:
Blizzard has no excuse for D3 being online only? Are you a Baboon who learned how to type? Here's one reason.. Server side control of drops, which alleviates all types of hacking, duping, and online auction house protection..

Diablo 3 is already one of the most hacked games, all time, regardless of it being online only. I'd think this was a sarcastic remark if not for the personal insults. Widespread duping of gold and items, auction house exploits that are STILL unpatched(as of last night, patch day today)... I actually laughed out loud when I read the above post.

Then of course the rampant botting and macroing, which seem to go entirely ignored by Blizzard, who is busy trying to find ways to nerf MF,

Don't get me wrong, I have hundreds of hours in D3 at this point, 3 chars in Inferno Act2+, but Blizzard obviously failed utterly at any attempt to curtail hacking. The whole online only thing still smells like just an attempt to encourage people to use the RMAH(which is unnecessary, even the GAH! )

As far as the actual topic, I was going to buy From Dust, but saw on the Steam forums that no one could even start the game after buying it. Avoiding that game like the plague still because of the UPlay problems.

48. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 23:36 Prez

Dades wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 19:14:
Closed Betas wrote:
Server side control of drops, which alleviates all types of hacking, duping, and online auction house protection.

That's working out really well for them so far.

Seriously. I had to re-read his post like 5 times. Surely he can't be for real, can he?

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

47. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 22:36 Sepharo

edit: derp

Fletch you have your quote attributed wrong.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 23:42.

46. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 22:31 SimplyMonk

Closed Betas wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 18:55:
Sorry, blithering idiot alarm has sounded.

Oh. Offline characters wouldn't be able to get achievements, join Battle.Net games (could join LAN games maybe) or participate in either the Gold or RM Auction House. Sorry. I thought that was pretty clear that those things were possible and wouldn't cost much money (given Blizzard's profit margins) to implement.

I really need to get my hearing checked. I didn't hear the "blithering idiot alarm" till you joined the thread.

45. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 19:48 Dev

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 17:55:
So Ubi says Uplay is necessary because PC gamers are unappreciative thieving whores. Yet the steam sale sells so many Ubi games that it breaks the protection they created to ensure people buy their games.

I find that funny somehow. In a guy going "up yours!" and then falling flat on his face kind of way.
HAHAAHAAH, thats a great point.

44. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 19:32 Fletch

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:52:
Blizzard has no excuse for D3 being online only? Are you a Baboon who learned how to type? Here's one reason.. Server side control of drops, which alleviates all types of hacking, duping, and online auction house protection.. Sad you don't get to play D3 offline, but being a moron to condemn it... Sorry, blithering idiot alarm has sounded.

Hey fanboy, take that shit back to YouTube. But, before you go, please explain to the rest of us idiots why we would need ANY of the "benefits" you mentioned to play a single player game on our own fucking computers.

You see, it's been talked about ad nausea here. I'm sure everybody else understood he was talking about either single player or the way previous Diablos had both B-net characters and off-line characters. Maybe you're just a little slow on the uptake? Let's see how many members here you impress enough to support your ridiculous attempt at a flame. How embarrassing for you...

Buuuuuh-BYE!

PLONK!

43. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 19:14 Dades

Closed Betas wrote:
Server side control of drops, which alleviates all types of hacking, duping, and online auction house protection.

That's working out really well for them so far.

42. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 18:55 Closed Betas

Luke wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:25:
I guess you play Diasko 3 ?and if so forget about this "Hopefully they will get rid of this DRM" because you accepted it with one game tho not the other....Thats wierd don't ya think

Although you can draw a comparison between Uplay and Battle.Net, it really isn't that cut and dry. Even though anti-piracy is a big win for the publisher in how B.Net functions, it at least makes a honest attempt of giving the user features and security in exchange for the annoyance that is DRM. Blizzard has no legitimate reason for not offering an offline mode to D3, but to say their DRM scheme is the same as Uplay when it comes to user acceptance leaves out the added value B.Net offers.

I suppose though, in the end they are both still shackles that hamper your gaming experience, and a solid gold shackle with gems and shinies in it isn't much better than a cold iron one, but at least B.Net makes an effort to make up for it. If that effort isn't enough for you though... Well, don't buy any of their games. Problem solved.

Blizzard has no excuse for D3 being online only? Are you a Baboon who learned how to type? Here's one reason.. Server side control of drops, which alleviates all types of hacking, duping, and online auction house protection.. Sad you don't get to play D3 offline, but being a moron to condemn it... Sorry, blithering idiot alarm has sounded.

41. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 18:51 Closed Betas

Bahahaha, is all I can say... I hope all you single player idiots that support this company got a good taste of the bullshit piracy crap this company has been touting for years..

I can with a smile say i was unaffected and never will be..

On another note, UBI sales might be hurting and this might be staged, so they can squirm out of the announcement of the DRM removal...

Cuz its obvious apologies and admittance of being blithering idiots from a company such as this is never going to happen.. And definitely wouldnt help, we will still spit in their faces.

40. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 17:55 NegaDeath

So Ubi says Uplay is necessary because PC gamers are unappreciative thieving whores. Yet the steam sale sells so many Ubi games that it breaks the protection they created to ensure people buy their games.

I find that funny somehow. In a guy going "up yours!" and then falling flat on his face kind of way.

39. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 17:29 Dev

Verno wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:15:
Steam itself had some problems too so I don't see the big deal.
I've never known steam to go down an entire weekend (probably from ubi not bothering to make any special trips on their days off to fix them), or even a multiple day outage. And in the very rare cases when all of steam does go down, in general offline still works. With ubisoft always on DRM, you are just screwed.

On the other hand, this is the second time in a few months that ubisoft DRM has been down for an extended period (that I know of anyway, since it was posted on blues, I got annoyed with uplay always on DRM in settlers since it liked to stop me from playing my game and stopped playing it. So if they've had other outages I haven't taken note). The first time was announced because of a server migration, that was supposed to make things better. Obviously it didn't, since it happened again.

38. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 17:20 ldonyo

The DRM outage ended, the DRM glitch continues...  

37. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 17:16 Ruddrage

I guess one of the conclusions we can draw from this is that nobody who works for UBI actually play their games, otherwise they would have noticed that the DRM server was offline over the weekend.  

36. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 17:12 Endo

Draugr wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 16:45:
briktal wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 16:09:
If D3 was instead the first game in a new IP from a new developer, people would almost certainly be less angry at the lack of an offline mode.

The correct conclusion to that statement is everyone would have seen diablo 3 for the terribad game that it is. Diablo 3's success has everything to do with its name and the name of it's devleoper.
I wouldn't know, I haven't so much as watched someone play it nor watched any gameplay footage. That's how little I care about it.

35. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 16:52 Beelzebud

Blizzard isn't perfect, but I know for a fact they would not let Battle.net go down for a full weekend, and not bother to fix it. Battle.net has problems, but they always have someone working on it immediately when it happens.  

34. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 16:45 Draugr

briktal wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 16:09:
If D3 was instead the first game in a new IP from a new developer, people would almost certainly be less angry at the lack of an offline mode.

The correct conclusion to that statement is everyone would have seen diablo 3 for the terribad game that it is. Diablo 3's success has everything to do with its name and the name of it's devleoper.

33. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 16:33 Endo

No offense, but this is the consequences for doing something stupid like buying a single-player game with always-on DRM.  

32. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 16:09 briktal

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:14:
Although you can draw a comparison between Uplay and Battle.Net, it really isn't that cut and dry. Even though anti-piracy is a big win for the publisher in how B.Net functions, it at least makes a honest attempt of giving the user features and security in exchange for the annoyance that is DRM. Blizzard has no legitimate reason for not offering an offline mode to D3, but to say their DRM scheme is the same as Uplay when it comes to user acceptance leaves out the added value B.Net offers.

It may not be that cut and dry, but when you launch D3 to play for a half-hour and it tells you you can't, it's as fucking cut and dry as can be.
I've shelved that piece of shit game.

A lot of the anti-DRM response to D3 is because a) the previous games in the series had offline gameplay b) Blizzard is a "big developer" and c) Blizzard is related to Activision. If D3 was instead the first game in a new IP from a new developer, people would almost certainly be less angry at the lack of an offline mode. However, if another company made a 3rd person action game or shooter or single player strategy game with always online DRM, they'd get just as much anger as ubisoft.

31. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 15:14 wonkawonka

It may not be that cut and dry, but when you launch D3 to play for a half-hour and it tells you you can't, it's as fucking cut and dry as can be.
I've shelved that piece of shit game.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo