Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guncraft Open Beta

Though the news is not yet reflected on the Guncraft Website, Exato Game Studios tell us open beta testing of this upcoming Minecrafty shooter is now underway. "With the availability of this open beta we welcome the feedback and participation of a much wider audience", noted John Getty, Executive Producer. "For fans of both Minecraft and modern warfare games we offer a unique experience not found anywhere else."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 17, 2012, 00:36 Sepharo

For the original Red Faction I would only play the tech demo level. You could dig using explosives until you hit some sort of memory limit, but it was pretty damn high. I could build connecting tunnels, big caves, etc.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 23:53 Axis

Cmon Halfelf that's borderline trollmongous hilarious. Are you being serious?

They couldn't have " come to mind" because you never played either of them. Second, if you had you'd know that they are not anywhere close to a destructible environment. Placing a "destructible wall" here and there like Red Faction has been done in many games, and I already mentioned about the series.

Having a deformable model has been done even more, shit almost every game in 3d has some form of shit falling off or deforming or something, so deformable ships (or cars/tanks/trucks/whatever) is not even close.

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 20:48 The Half Elf

2 games come to mind. 1) the Original Red Faction 2)Star Trek Bridge Commander.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 20:20 Axis

I meant that for Space Captain Lorc.

I was talking about his "point" where he thinks developers choose voxel as an artform rather than a required due to current processing/programming limitations.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 20:28.

Yours truly,

Axis

14. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 20:17 Lorcin

Axis wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 20:20:
I meant that for Space Captain Lorc.

ok will remove my rant then

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 20:23.

13. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 19:55 Axis

Lorcin wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 18:51:
space captain wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 17:24:

http://www.starforge.com/

anyway, believe whatever you want.. enjoy yourself

Very nicely made point - except that still looks crap. Yes it's a jump forward from minecraft but it's a very long way from being 'impressive'.

That said whilst minecraft undoubtedly did get a target audience I have to say guncraft is not as much of a jump forward. It looks like modern warfare with duplo with a lot of post edit effects added on top.

Um it's in PRE ALPHA. ie Unreleased, ie nothing is out there, ie your still wrong. Jeez is it so hard to admit when people make fools of themselves with invalid points?

Had to dig deep in the google search to even come up with that...

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 19:02 Lorcin

WyldKat wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 17:42:

Right. I'm sure they went through the trouble and money to get permission to use it. ACDC being owned by Sony's music group, I'm sure they're happy to just hand over rights for free to people using it for commercial purposes.

In a trailer? yeah they probably are. Sony pull the track from the trailer or insist Exato pay for the rights they make nothing or a few bucks and a load of bad PR. If for some reason the trailer goes viral Sony will love the royalties from the increased album sales.

It's a no brainier as far for sony as I can see - but yeah putting it unlicensed into the full game with a full track would undoubtedly lead to court.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 19:20.

11. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 18:51 Lorcin

space captain wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 17:24:

Very nicely made point - except that still looks crap. Yes it's a jump forward from minecraft but it's a very long way from being 'impressive'.

That said whilst minecraft undoubtedly did get a target audience I have to say guncraft is not as much of a jump forward. It looks like modern warfare with duplo with a lot of post edit effects added on top.

10. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 17:42 WyldKat

Axis wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:23:
WyldKat wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:14:
Wow... a tiny little indie game nobody ever heard of that was able to license ACDC for their trailer. Oh right, they probably didn't. These guys are full of class.

They don't need to license it, only need permission to use it.

Right. I'm sure they went through the trouble and money to get permission to use it. ACDC being owned by Sony's music group, I'm sure they're happy to just hand over rights for free to people using it for commercial purposes.

9. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 17:24 space captain

Axis wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 12:34:
So Mr "Do I not see this", what game other than minecraft features every part of the game to be fully destructible/buildable?

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 15:23 Axis

WyldKat wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:14:
Wow... a tiny little indie game nobody ever heard of that was able to license ACDC for their trailer. Oh right, they probably didn't. These guys are full of class.

They don't need to license it, only need permission to use it.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 15:14 WyldKat

6. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 14:49 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 12:34:
So which game features fully destructible environments aside from minecraft?

Someone just needs to take the Minecraft engine, multiply the number of blocks the specific units of environment and objects consist of from 1 to about 1 million and there you go. Fully destructible environment and objects.

Oh. A good theoretical quantum computer to run that game wouldn't hurt either.

5. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 14:08 Fantaz

anyone try this? i like these games  

4. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 12:34 Axis

space captain wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 12:07:
Axis wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:53:
It's not the 'art' design that makes these games compelling,

thats bullshit because you can easily make games where you build stuff in destructible environments, and it looks nothing like minecraft

this is specifically designed to look exactly like it, and they say so on their webpage

do you seriously not see this? wow
'utilizing the voxel style' is BECAUSE it has to to be fully destructive, seems you are a sucker for marketing speak.

So which game features fully destructible environments aside from minecraft?

Games like Red Faction series only has destructible units, not the environment. From Dust is the closest thing, but that is not the environment, just the particle physics on top of stuff.

So Mr "Do I not see this", what game other than minecraft features every part of the game to be fully destructible/buildable?

None is your answer, so wrong you are.

Sure I'd prefer a proper fully destructible game without the voxel, but that won't be happening today. I also don't give a shit about 'art', all I care about is gameplay. I don't play FPS's to enjoy the scenery, I play them like a sport.

Yours truly,

Axis

3. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 12:07 space captain

Axis wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:53:
It's not the 'art' design that makes these games compelling,

thats bullshit because you can easily make games where you build stuff in destructible environments, and it looks nothing like minecraft

this is specifically designed to look exactly like it, and they say so on their webpage

do you seriously not see this? wow

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 11:53 Axis

It's not the 'art' design that makes these games compelling, it's the ability to build and destruct the entire world, which is still only possible with more simpler building blocks as you see in these games.

I think there's a good minecraftish fps game to be had eventually, not sure where tho.

Brickforce is pretty terrible, I haven't tried this but I do intend to.

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Guncraft Open Beta Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 space captain

this and some other combat game are using the minecraft "style" of giant cube polys as their art design... which is by far the least interesting part of minecraft, some might say its the really bad part

but seriously, its mind boggling that this "art style" is appealing outside of that particular game... i dont fucking get it, also get off my lawn

Go forth, and kill!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo