Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ars Technica - What happened to the stereoscopic gaming revolution?
Looking back today, it's hard to tell what all the fuss was about. While stereoscopic 3D is definitely present in today's gaming landscape, it has decidedly failed to become the revolutionary, must-have feature that seemed to warrant so much industry attention just a couple of years ago.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2012, 10:39 Ant

3D doesn't work for my old compound eyes.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 19:27 Beelzebud

It ended in a massive migraine headache.  

19. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 18:56 ViRGE

The article isn't wrong, but it's very North American-centric, which is an important point when discussing S3D. S3D sales are much higher in Europe; everything from tickets for S3D movies to S3D monitors has been selling far better over there than it ever has over here. S3D may have fizzled in NA, but it's still alive and well in Europe, so it's hardly dead overall.  

18. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 18:33 PHJF

You just need permanent 3D glasses, then! It'll make IRL look AWESSOOMMMEEE.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 18:32 Ray Marden

3D? Displays? From an industry that cannot make monitors that go above 1080p at any decent size or price? With terrible dot pitches? Consoles that strugle to go above 720p? Movie theaters that charge 25%, 30%, 40% or more for 3D movies? Companies that add 3D after filming? Blu-Rays that cost twice as much?
Or the failure rate and quirks of those Sony monitors?
No, no idea why it has not taken off...

Not a fan of having glasses atop my glasses either,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

16. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 17:05 Warskull

avianflu wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:15:
3D only looks truly compelling if it encompasses your *full* field of vision.

The 3DS is actually pretty interesting. The 3D effects are done very well in Super Mario 3D Land. That extra sense of depth feels good with the 3D platforming. It just needs some more games.

15. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 16:33 Earlyworm

Well, stereoscopic gaming is ok, I have a PS3 in the living room hooked up to a 55" 3D TV and it is fine for occasional playing. At least it gets used more for gaming than 3D movies (fargin premium price of 3D blu-rays)

I got a benefit when using it with Hustle Kings (pool game) and I liked the increased immersion in The Fight: Lights out

But stereoscopic gaming is just the beginning, we will really see the benefit next year when proper HMD's come to the market (i.e. Oculus Rift v2) with head tracking.

14. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 16:05 Crustacean Soup

Shutter glasses mean 60Hz strobing, which I do not want (I hate using 60Hz CRTs for that very reason). They also darken the display which kind of sucks. Passive displays generally have limited resolution, which I also do not want, and suffer from limited viewing angles / head tilts and screen darkening. Both suffer from ghosting ('response time' for both, and 'leaking' on the passive displays unless your head is tilted perfectly). Autostereoscopic displays only work from a set of narrow angles.

We've had stereo gaming via shutter glasses for more than a decade. That's a long time for it to not catch on. Stereo gaming won't take off until we get some sort of new tech.

13. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 15:15 avianflu

3D only looks truly compelling if it encompasses your *full* field of vision.  

12. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 13:11 Leper

I get enough regular headaches just watching regular TV.

I used to get headaches playing regular PC games, but it turns out I just needed glasses. I don't suffer from migraines, however.

11. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 Mordecai Walfish

I just bought my first "3D" monitor last week, finally upgrading from my old 60HZ Asus. I settled with a BenQ XL2420T which has true 120hz and 1920x1080 in a 24" screen. Turned out to be the perfect pick for me... this monitor is fantastic, and much closer to the CRT's I grew up gaming with.

I bought the version of the monitor that does not have 3D Vision integrated though, as I would likely never use it really. It just takes too many resources to do 3D gaming currently, to the point that it makes it more of a hindrance than an enhancement to most users in the long-run. Almost halving your performance to enable it, needing multi-gpu setups to run it well with newer games (which are honestly the ones people want to experience this tech most with-- the most cinematic and stunning titles).

Maybe when I SLI my GTX 480 I will be able to get away with some limited 3D gaming on this monitor, but when I purchased this "3D monitor" I honestly couldn't give 2 shits about the 3D portion of it, I just wanted a great monitor with quick response.. And I'd imagine many other PC gamers are passing up this tech for what really matters, as well. (though it's awesome that 3d helped push 120hz lcd/led)

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 10:34:
fake 3d is fake 3d - nothing will ever change that (besides the fact that fake 3d makes you literally sick, just some slower than others). Holo deck or Holo tech or nothing.

More like-- we take steps in the right direction now, then we may have a possible future with a holo-deck/tech.

10. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 12:54 Bodolza

Been happily gaming in 3D for a years now and loving it. I've played a bunch of PS3 titles. That's in the living room hooked up to a big screen DLP set, which has zero ghosting and no limitation on viewing angles or number of viewers.

My computer monitor is also 3D. It's passive, so it has some ghosting, but the glasses are feather weight. Platform games, like Portal, really benefit from 3D. The only problem I have is that my current machine isn't fast enough to render at the highest settings in 3D, but that's easily fixed with an upgrade.

9. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 12:03 TheEmissary

3D in the home has a few problems that need to be resolved such as price, limitations of the technology, and health issues. The price of 120hz or 3D televisions are still priced at a premium so it will be long time before casual users buy those sets. The 3D effect is often limited to the user and requires specialized glasses or certain viewing angles. Most console games have a social aspect which 3D doesn't cater to all that well. Then there is the health issue where certain percentage of the population gets headaches or nauseated watching 3D content.

I think 3D gaming is far too new and too much of a premium right now to say it is failing. I think maybe in 5-10 years when the current HDTV owners upgrade their sets it might be a different story.

8. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 11:21 jacobvandy

I enjoy using 3D Vision well enough, but I haven't in a long time because my primary monitor is an older 26" that doesn't support it. The 3D effect is quite good in most games, but there is still an issue of the monitor's "refresh rate" (talking about LCDs, so I guess pixel response) being too slow. Alternating frames so quickly often means you'll see lots of ghosting, especially in brighter scenes. Maybe that will be fixed when they start putting out 240Hz monitors, because 120Hz is apparently insufficient.  

7. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 11:16 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:06:
I think the stereoscopic gaming revolution was a solution in search of a problem. The only people I know who were excited about 3D and really liked it were the ones who were trying to sell something. None of the players or viewers I ever talked to seemed that enthusiastic or were only enthusiastic about where the technology might be going.

I just didn't care.

I came to post a bunch of stuff about this but you summed it up perfectly, well said.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

6. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 11:06 NegaDeath

Pretty simple, the tech still isn't there. Oh sure it's a lot better than the old anaglyph method, but it induces eye strain and can be glitchy. I still think 3D is a natural fit for gaming but not until it's as painless as watching a standard 2D screen.  

5. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 11:06 Silicon Avatar

I think the stereoscopic gaming revolution was a solution in search of a problem. The only people I know who were excited about 3D and really liked it were the ones who were trying to sell something. None of the players or viewers I ever talked to seemed that enthusiastic or were only enthusiastic about where the technology might be going.

I just didn't care.

4. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 10:52 InBlack

Let me try to answer this question with two very simple answers:

Microshaft - i.e. Xbox, etc....

Sonyhole - i.e. PS, PS2, PS3, etc....

Or we can simplify the answer even further using only one word.

Consoles.

Thats what happened.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 10:47 Narf2029

Fuck 3D. I get enough regular headaches just watching regular TV. The last time I tried to watch something in 3D I got a migraine so bad I was babbling for hours and I stabbed myself in the leg with a dinner fork. I'd bet 90% of the people who say they get migraines don't - the pain from a real migraine can make you do some crazy shit.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

2. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 10:34 eRe4s3r

fake 3d is fake 3d - nothing will ever change that (besides the fact that fake 3d makes you literally sick, just some slower than others). Holo deck or Holo tech or nothing.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo