Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week includes one bundle and nine sequels:

1. Arma II
  2. Max Payne 3
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. Portal 2
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  6. Left 4 Dead 2
  7. The Bethesda Softworks Collection
  8. Anno 2070
  9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
  10. Saints Row: The Third

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

96. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 17, 2012, 08:47 nin

Ouch. THree $9.99 titles today.

Think Monday was the first day I actually didn't buy something...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 17, 2012, 02:34 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:01:
Maybe they are having issues though, which is weird cause they are in their low point of usage today at just over 3M users. I notice my wishlist doesn't have any pricing at the moment, and about 20 minutes ago I lost connectivity to Steam....

Well if they were smart, they'd do maintenance at that time

Also about the download speed, sometimes if you change your region, you can speed up your downloads again. Ideally by checking the steam content server stats and picking a region with less load.

94. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 17, 2012, 00:01 xXBatmanXx

Maybe they are having issues though, which is weird cause they are in their low point of usage today at just over 3M users. I notice my wishlist doesn't have any pricing at the moment, and about 20 minutes ago I lost connectivity to Steam....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

93. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 23:59 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:15:
Dev wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:06:
Prez wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 22:56:
Picked up The Darkness and Off the Record today - getting great DL speeds too. Would have bought Fable 3 but even on sale the price was too high - I doubt I'll ever spend more than 5 to 7 bucks on an over-hyped Molyneux game again.
What, don't tell me you aren't going to buy the $100,000 DLC for that other game?

Okay, I admit it. I already pre-ordered!

My DL speeds have crapped out today. I wanted to play AoE III, Krovven and I installed at the same time, he is already playing, and mine has been going for a couple hours and is only 25% done. Usually I would be done DL something that size in a few minutes.....oh well. Probably better I sleep anyway!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

92. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 23:15 Prez

Dev wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:06:
Picked up The Darkness and Off the Record today - getting great DL speeds too. Would have bought Fable 3 but even on sale the price was too high - I doubt I'll ever spend more than 5 to 7 bucks on an over-hyped Molyneux game again.
What, don't tell me you aren't going to buy the $100,000 DLC for that other game?

Okay, I admit it. I already pre-ordered!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

91. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 23:06 Dev

90. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 22:56 Prez

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 23:06.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

89. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 20:58 xXBatmanXx

Ouch. THree $9.99 titles today.
Was going to get just F3AR, but the whole pack is only another 5 bucks, so I can toss my CDs and I didn't have everything before....I noticed on the Fear 1 pages it says "Multiplayer is no longer available this is SP only". Crazy. Should have updated the game to have our own dedicated servers.

Grabbed AoE III Complete (been waiting for that one to go on sale) and Dead Rising Off The Record which is a great price even though I already have it on XBOX, it is such a fun damn game.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 21:04.

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 19:53 Dev

I'll probably pick up Dead Rising 2: Off the record, since its on a flash sale at $10, which is about the right price for something that SHOULD have been a large DLC add on for the original, instead of reselling most of the content as a new game. I think my opinion is shared by many others too, since its reflected by the significantly lower metacritic rating OTR gets.
I had a lot of fun with DR2, so I should enjoy the added content of OTR.

Of course capcom didn't put the DLC on sale, and they also didn't bother to put at least one of the DLC into steam (its on xbox marketplace though). I shouldn't be surprised, it doesn't look like they bothered to add the DLC from original DR2 into steam either. But it does look like they added the DLC from original DR2 into the base game of OTR.

Prez wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 14:47:
I voted for Jagged Alliance Back in Action on the last community choice vote - as disappointed as I am that they screwed with a perfect formula, I am still interested in playing it. It's just not worth much more than 10 bucks to me. I would have been thrilled with a fully 3D, modern remake of JA2 and would have gladly paid full price, but NO! They had to mess with what was already a perfect game, so now they get $10 (if it ever reaches that point).
My thoughts and my vote as well.

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 09:05:
Speaking of Play It Forward, I've posted a comment on the wall guys, take a look at the games I have and let me know if you'd like any of it.
Same, I posted some extras I have.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 20:29.

87. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 19:13 xXBatmanXx

oh man! Going to get spendy now.....2 flash deals that I want and a few games on the daily sale......  

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 17:42 Prez

Rage isn't that bad. It can be pretty fun at times. Just be prepared for some incredibly jarring texture pop-in and some really boring chatting with useless NPC's. Had id tried to do anything interesting with the story or dialog, the game could have been great.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

85. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 17:16 goatee21

loomy wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:01:
goatee21 wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:29:
I spent twenty on the operation arrowhead and am using arma II free for the rest. I've EASILY enjoyed twenty bucks worth of game time in dayz. It's been a lot of fun so far. Most people who have complained about the game are whiners who probably got killed or think the game is too hard.
The game IS brutal, it's supposed to be. Death sucks, it's supposed to. it takes a long time to run across the map, it's supposed too. Guns attract lots of zombies, they are supposed to. Trusting or not trusting other players is a difficult choice, it's supposed to be.

arma 2 is one of the worst games ever, and dayz cant fix that.

in dayz you run around collecting stuff on the ground. the game ends when someone sees you before you see them.

what a tour de force. dont believe the dayz hype

Loomy, this kind of game obviously isn't for you then. It's ALPHA and there are already so many features I won't bother listing them all.
tension
real weather effects
dehydration
hunger
shaking from pain
drivable vehicles
tension
zombies
small things like filling water bottles from ponds, combining clips, retrieving arrows from zombie corpses, on and on
PERMADEATH - this is what gets most whiners like loomy. If you run around like a COD fan boy you WILL die...over and over and over and over.
tension
A near constant state of dread.
An absolutely pounding heart when you see another human.
Conflicting emotions.
Absolute gaming euphoria the first time you fight off someone trying to kill you and YOU instead are the victor and take their life giving gear.
Even in alpha the bugs in this game mostly revolve around inventory. It's pretty easy to make some of your gear disappear. But if you play it smart, get out of heavily populated areas, you can be nearly fully geared inside of twenty minutes.

Dont listen to loomy, he probably played twenty minutes, got killed, didn't read any directions and rage quit.
day z is a LOT of fun.

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 17:04 Dades

Rage sucks for $5 because you'll get more fun out of your money from pretty much any other $5 game in the steam sale. It's also a really mediocre game that id put out and left to die after getting their first month sales.  

83. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 16:53 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:54:
Do I buy a $10 Rage?
Do I wait for a $7.50 Rage?

I think I'd play it for either of those. Then again, my $7.50 Far Cry 2 from last year got 1.2 hours of play. Rage may get about the same...

When I am on the fence about a game, I will usually look at the friend's activity page that shows me how many friends own it and how much time they put into it. I was going to skip Red Faction sale, but saw a number of people put some serious time into it (Cutter the most I think) so decided to get it for $4.99. Looks dated, but worth a shot.

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 15:54 Beamer

Do I buy a $10 Rage?
Do I wait for a $7.50 Rage?

I think I'd play it for either of those. Then again, my $7.50 Far Cry 2 from last year got 1.2 hours of play. Rage may get about the same...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

81. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 15:14 nin

in dayz you run around collecting stuff on the ground. the game ends when someone sees you before you see them.

There's been lost of comments, including from players here, that would disagree with that. Yours is one of the few negative I've seen here.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 15:01 loomy

goatee21 wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:29:
I spent twenty on the operation arrowhead and am using arma II free for the rest. I've EASILY enjoyed twenty bucks worth of game time in dayz. It's been a lot of fun so far. Most people who have complained about the game are whiners who probably got killed or think the game is too hard.
The game IS brutal, it's supposed to be. Death sucks, it's supposed to. it takes a long time to run across the map, it's supposed too. Guns attract lots of zombies, they are supposed to. Trusting or not trusting other players is a difficult choice, it's supposed to be.

79. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 14:47 Prez

I voted for Jagged Alliance Back in Action on the last community choice vote - as disappointed as I am that they screwed with a perfect formula, I am still interested in playing it. It's just not worth much more than 10 bucks to me. I would have been thrilled with a fully 3D, modern remake of JA2 and would have gladly paid full price, but NO! They had to mess with what was already a perfect game, so now they get $10 (if it ever reaches that point).  

- Mahatma Gandhi

78. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 13:41 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 23:21:
Been playing Space Marine.

It's a fairly decent title, but it seems to wobble between fun and just annoying. There are some fun levels where you can lay waste to entire armies of orcs in fun and spectacular ways, and then there are levels where every room you enter has 10 snipers, hallways where a bomb-hound drops basically right on top of you (which kills you at difficulty normal or higher), areas where rocket nobs are shooting at you and you can't kill them (which has to be my absolute favorite.)

It also has absolutely bizarre pacing issues. You'll be fighting orcs for a good ten minutes straight, and then suddenly you go into a ten minute stretch where all you do is walk into a room, go to the door with the green button, hit the green button, watch it open, go into the next (basically identical) room, go towards another door with a green button, hit the button, watch door open, go into 3rd room, look for door with green button, etc.

The game helpfully auto-saves in about every other room, because God forbid you lose progress in empty rooms. Then you come upon a mega battle, followed by a miniboss at the end, and it refuses to auto-save anywhere, so if you die, yeah, you get to kill all the 2000 orcs again before you get another shot at the miniboss.

And then there's the elevators. About a million of them. Each of them goes slower than Mass Effect's elevators, and especially in level 5 or 6, you have to go onto about 12 of them in fairly short succession. I think I spent three hours just standing on a fucking elevator...

Combine that with the rather inane method of healing: I don't mind that your space marine doesn't regenerate health (even though he DOES regenerate armor? WTF?), if the method for regaining health wasn't so nonsensical. In order to regain health, you have to execute an enemy. How do you execute an enemy? Well, first you have to stun them by using a combination attack + stun. The combo for these is fairly finnicky, as you need to time them quite precisely, otherwise the combo doesn't work, and you just do a normal attack.

So here you are, low on health, in the midst of an orc horde, and you need to regain health. Okay, chop chop stun. Shit. chop stun. shit. Chop chop chop stun. Hey, a stun worked!

Then, the enemy that you stunned (and is ready for execution) typically falls at least 10 feet back from where he was standing, so you need to run over to him and execute him. The execution typically takes 5 or so seconds (10 in case of a Nob), during which you happily continue to take damage from the 30 other orcs around you.

If you're lucky, you will regain a nice chunk of health. (a nob will completely heal you, but smaller enemies give you about 25% or so) Most of the times, however, you'll regain a little bit and you need to start to try to stun something again.

It's beyond me how on earth a developer came up with that system and didn't think "you know... if a player is low on health, maybe forcing him to run into a horde of Orcs and try to pull off our finnicky combo's in order to regain some isn't really the best system..."

Also, in chapter 2 you get a jump pack, which is glorious, GLORIOUS fun. Raining death from above on your enemies is fantastic, it controls like a charm, it's awesome. Seriously, it was at that point where i was like "Okay! Now the fun is STARTING! THIS GAME FUCKING ROCKS!"

And then five minutes later you have to take it off again, and then you get it back... well, I dunno, really. I'm in chapter 10 now, and I've still to see it. Same developer: "Hmmm, the jump pack is WAY too much fun. Let's immediately take it away again! PEOPLE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN PLAYING THIS GAME!"

Fucking hell...

It looks nice, the fights are fun if you can avoid getting slaughtered (which isn't easy in the later levels) and some of the weapons are pretty cool. I paid 15 bucks for the whole pack (not realizing that all the DLC is multiplayer only. Sigh) and I think if you get it at the 7.50 or 10 buck mark you'll get your value out of it. But it definitely seems like one of those games that was designed by a checkbox committee, and nobody ever actually bothered to test and make sure it was FUN to play.

Creston

Er... what he said!

I didn't buy the DLCs, so I think I paid a fair price for what it is. I do hate the difficulty swings (which you so eloquently related in your post), but what I'm really missing is the drive to play it. The WH40K universe is cool, so I should be chomping at the bit to play again. But not so much. In fact, I'm thinking of restarting the game in easy mode, just so that I can enjoy the feeling of badass I expect from an Ultramarine...

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 12:57 Beamer

So far:
M&B Warband (grew very tired of M&B after 20 hours, but now I can run the good mods)
Payback
Tribes Ascend Starter Pack
Darkness II
Dead Island Complete
Killing Floor
Jagged Alliance 2 (which I had on GOG anyway)
Ghost Master
Complete Shooter Pack
Bob Came in Pieces
Zombie Driver
Caster
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Nimbus
Back to the Future: The Game
Sol Survivor

Realistically, JA2 may be the only one of these I put more than 10 minutes into, but I hope to be surprised.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo