Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week includes one bundle and nine sequels:

1. Arma II
  2. Max Payne 3
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. Portal 2
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  6. Left 4 Dead 2
  7. The Bethesda Softworks Collection
  8. Anno 2070
  9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
  10. Saints Row: The Third

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 05:38 Jerykk

$5 for FNV is a crazy good deal, especially considering FNV is the best RPG of the last ten years. Throw in the DLC and mods and you have a no-brainer if you haven't yet played it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 05:01 Dev

Someone was asking for fallout, here it is.

8 hours more from this post time, FO:NV for $5 or $10 for the version with all DLC

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 03:20 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 01:33:
I didn't know that you needed to have an online GFWL account to use DLC, so I played through Arkham City with an offline account. Turns out that your saves are linked to your account too, so when I made an online account and logged in, I had 0 progress. Luckily, I was able to bypass that bullshit by figuring out what my offline account ID number was, then copying my save to a folder named after my new account ID number.
I'm going to pass that info into the steam forum thread that cutter linked, in case anyone else wants to convert the saves. Sounds like its a common issue.

Edit:
Found this in the same thread:
http://www.gamesave-manager.com/
Looks quite useful. It supports over 1200 games already, but I have a ton of old saves, maybe I can pass the save info onto them from old games they don't yet support.
Click EXPAND PANEL next to the feature list on the home page to see the extensive list of features. I need to check and see if it takes into account XP vs vista/7 folder differences, and if you connect an external hdd if it can handle that. And whatever it can't handle, I can report it in their forums so they can add to next version

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 03:36.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 01:33 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 22:13:
Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 22:09:
In case you don't know how to get the DLC installed with shitty GFWL bullshit this thread will walk you throuigh it...

How to install BAC DLC.
Thanks for reminding me what a FRACKING PAIN that gfwl is.
Thanks MS for rededicating yourself to us PC gamers a year or so ago. We've got so much to show us how much you love us.

Yeah, it is a complete waste of space. I didn't know that you needed to have an online GFWL account to use DLC, so I played through Arkham City with an offline account. Turns out that your saves are linked to your account too, so when I made an online account and logged in, I had 0 progress. Luckily, I was able to bypass that bullshit by figuring out what my offline account ID number was, then copying my save to a folder named after my new account ID number.

Also, it took an amazingly long time to install the Harlequinn DLC. I really have no idea what it was doing but it took a good 10-15 minutes.

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 01:29 Dev

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 23:21:
It looks nice, the fights are fun if you can avoid getting slaughtered (which isn't easy in the later levels) and some of the weapons are pretty cool. I paid 15 bucks for the whole pack (not realizing that all the DLC is multiplayer only. Sigh) and I think if you get it at the 7.50 or 10 buck mark you'll get your value out of it. But it definitely seems like one of those games that was designed by a checkbox committee, and nobody ever actually bothered to test and make sure it was FUN to play.
Thanks for the mini review!
Bucky wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 22:36:
I decided to play through Arkham Asylum again before diving into Arkham City, and I thought I was going to have to break something by the time I was done messing with GFWL.
Don't worry, if you don't break anything, GFWL certainly will break something, either a game or something in your computer. I've had it do both.

For all my complaints about the clunky interface of steam, at least it WORKS (unless there's a big sale), and lets you play your purchased games.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 00:37 coolkev99

Trine 2 is great! Not a very long game, but more than worth the current price. Jaw dropping visuals. I suggest playing through with a friend(s) on Hard difficulty.  

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 00:31 Cutter

Apologies, Bats and Krow, didn't mean to leave anyone out. Still it's a great thing and it'd be cool if we can make it grow.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 00:12 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 20:53:
Prez's Play it Forward was a hoot last year

Indeed it was!

So far I have:

Toy Soldiers
Hard Reset
Skydrift + DLC
Dynamite Jack
Satazius
Wizorb
Snuggletruck
Choplifter + DLC
Witcher 2
Killing Floor Complete
Saint's Row DLC

Actually, to be fair....it was Krovven, Prez, and myself. Krovven's idea inspired by Prez....private invite only. Prez injected a LOT of course, and I hope we have another successful year.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/playitforward2012xmas

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 23:34 Sepharo

So I was away from my computer today but thanks to the nifty Steam mobile app got to vote for the Community's Choice and add to my haul:

Darkness II (ROW)
Gothic Complete Pack 2011
Tropico 4
Sam and Max: Seasons 1-3 (owned 1st season on GameTap bleh)
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012)
Trine 2
Syberia Collection (already owned boxed)
SpaceChem

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 23:21 Creston

Been playing Space Marine.

It's a fairly decent title, but it seems to wobble between fun and just annoying. There are some fun levels where you can lay waste to entire armies of orcs in fun and spectacular ways, and then there are levels where every room you enter has 10 snipers, hallways where a bomb-hound drops basically right on top of you (which kills you at difficulty normal or higher), areas where rocket nobs are shooting at you and you can't kill them (which has to be my absolute favorite.)

It also has absolutely bizarre pacing issues. You'll be fighting orcs for a good ten minutes straight, and then suddenly you go into a ten minute stretch where all you do is walk into a room, go to the door with the green button, hit the green button, watch it open, go into the next (basically identical) room, go towards another door with a green button, hit the button, watch door open, go into 3rd room, look for door with green button, etc.

The game helpfully auto-saves in about every other room, because God forbid you lose progress in empty rooms. Then you come upon a mega battle, followed by a miniboss at the end, and it refuses to auto-save anywhere, so if you die, yeah, you get to kill all the 2000 orcs again before you get another shot at the miniboss.

And then there's the elevators. About a million of them. Each of them goes slower than Mass Effect's elevators, and especially in level 5 or 6, you have to go onto about 12 of them in fairly short succession. I think I spent three hours just standing on a fucking elevator...

Combine that with the rather inane method of healing: I don't mind that your space marine doesn't regenerate health (even though he DOES regenerate armor? WTF?), if the method for regaining health wasn't so nonsensical. In order to regain health, you have to execute an enemy. How do you execute an enemy? Well, first you have to stun them by using a combination attack + stun. The combo for these is fairly finnicky, as you need to time them quite precisely, otherwise the combo doesn't work, and you just do a normal attack.

So here you are, low on health, in the midst of an orc horde, and you need to regain health. Okay, chop chop stun. Shit. chop stun. shit. Chop chop chop stun. Hey, a stun worked!

Then, the enemy that you stunned (and is ready for execution) typically falls at least 10 feet back from where he was standing, so you need to run over to him and execute him. The execution typically takes 5 or so seconds (10 in case of a Nob), during which you happily continue to take damage from the 30 other orcs around you.

If you're lucky, you will regain a nice chunk of health. (a nob will completely heal you, but smaller enemies give you about 25% or so) Most of the times, however, you'll regain a little bit and you need to start to try to stun something again.

It's beyond me how on earth a developer came up with that system and didn't think "you know... if a player is low on health, maybe forcing him to run into a horde of Orcs and try to pull off our finnicky combo's in order to regain some isn't really the best system..."

Also, in chapter 2 you get a jump pack, which is glorious, GLORIOUS fun. Raining death from above on your enemies is fantastic, it controls like a charm, it's awesome. Seriously, it was at that point where i was like "Okay! Now the fun is STARTING! THIS GAME FUCKING ROCKS!"

And then five minutes later you have to take it off again, and then you get it back... well, I dunno, really. Edit : I'm in chapter 10 now, and I've still to see it. I was actually in chapter eight, and five minutes after I quit last night, I got the damn thing back. ARGH! Anyway...

Same developer: "Hmmm, the jump pack is WAY too much fun. Let's immediately take it away again! PEOPLE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN PLAYING THIS GAME!"

Fucking hell...

It looks nice, the fights are fun if you can avoid getting slaughtered (which isn't easy in the later levels) and some of the weapons are pretty cool. I paid 15 bucks for the whole pack (not realizing that all the DLC is multiplayer only. Sigh) and I think if you get it at the 7.50 or 10 buck mark you'll get your value out of it. But it definitely seems like one of those games that was designed by a checkbox committee, and nobody ever actually bothered to test and make sure it was FUN to play.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2012, 14:48.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 23:07 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 21:36:
Glad people are posting what they are buying - I had forgotten to grab the DLC for Dead Island, and there is only 3 hours left...

Ya, I had a very similar experience (saw it on a friends bought list, not here)... And grabbed the same one...

Looking forward to trying it... Hope it's worth the $4 I didn't spend on Vessel instead...

-Alamar

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 22:36 Bucky

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 22:13:
Thanks MS for rededicating yourself to us PC gamers a year or so ago. We've got so much to show us how much you love us.

I decided to play through Arkham Asylum again before diving into Arkham City, and I thought I was going to have to break something by the time I was done messing with GFWL.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 22:13 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 22:09:
In case you don't know how to get the DLC installed with shitty GFWL bullshit this thread will walk you throuigh it...

How to install BAC DLC.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 22:09 Cutter

How to install BAC DLC.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 21:48 SpectralMeat

I was hesitating too much and missed out on Anno2070. I am hoping it will go on sale again. Also wanted to grab theatre of war missed by a minute damn it.
Is tropico 4 worth it? I've never played any of the tropico games before but it looks interesting.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 21:54.

Steam: SpectralMeat

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 21:43 sauron

I think I'm done. My budget was $50 and for that I've gotten Skyrim + Witcher 2, + KOTOR 1 (gave my old copy to bro-in-law in South America some time ago, nice to have it again). I think it's a good deal all around and comes in at $48.50 or thereabouts.

Must admit I'm intrigued by Trine 2 though - the gameplay looks great, and if you add in co-op, and all for $2.49, then hmmm, pretty nice package. We'll see - maybe I can stretch to $51.

Kittens!

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 21:36 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 21:28:
I'm officially cutting myself off, with the exception of Hard Reset.

Hahahahaha...just one more hit and I swear I'm done.

bah, no one is stopping, we aren't even half way!

Just over $40.00 here.....

Glad people are posting what they are buying - I had forgotten to grab the DLC for Dead Island, and there is only 3 hours left...

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 21:47.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 21:28 nin

I'm officially cutting myself off, with the exception of Hard Reset.

Hahahahaha...just one more hit and I swear I'm done.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 21:20 Bucky

I haven't sat down and listed everything, nor figured out the damage. Lets see what we have:

SpacChem DLC
Crusader Kings 2 + DLC
Warlock: Master of the Arcane + DLC
Saints Row: The Third + DLC
Sanctum DLC
Trine 2
Binding of Isaac DLC
Alan Wake + DLC
Frozen Synapse DLC
Dead Island + DLC
The Witcher 2
Civilization V Gods and Kinds DLC + Korea DLC
Batman Bundle
Serious Sam 3

Total: $167.01.

Stunned Sweet baby Freeman. I'm officially cutting myself off, with the exception of Hard Reset. I've gotten everything I wanted, and my Steam backlog is so long now I'd need a year off just to catch up.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 21:19 ASeven

Add Frozen Synapse Red DLC to my list.

And some more gifts.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo