Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2012, 00:51 jimnms

When I'm really into a game, I just forget to eat. Even when my stomach starts to growl, I'm like ok, let me finish this level, map, round, etc. and I'll go get something. Even then I keep putting it off because shit keeps happening to keep me from leaving, like if it's a MP game, the server switches to my favorite map or something. Eventually I begin to wonder why the game switched to B&W mode, and then I finally realize I'd better stop and go eat.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2012, 00:20 eRe4s3r

same here, I'd be far too lazy to buy all the crap people eat during movies, for me its 3 meals a day and some (very irregular) snacks that I like and that's it. I never eat during movies, unless I watch one during meals.

That said, I do have to get coffee and that's 30 stairs for each cup, 30 stairs to the kitchen and back up in my office, that is, over the day I think I manage to walk around 500 stairs and that is sufficient movement for my taste.

10. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 23:25 Sepharo

I've been on a no-shopping diet for 3 years.

It's hard to pig out on snacks when you don't have any. I go out for lunch with coworkers and get Subway for dinner. I'm lazy as hell sure, but I don't gain weight. Also forever alone

9. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 20:55 xXBatmanXx

Ant wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 20:48:
Man, I misread that as more calories are burned. Hahaha!

When I am in a chaotic exciting game.....my heart rate actually gets going pretty good. I use my exercise heart monitor to watch the spikes. ie: About to cap the last flag or return the flag in CTF....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 20:48 Ant

Man, I misread that as more calories are burned. Hahaha!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 20:04 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 17:51:
Mostly wet, or sorta wet? And really how wet is something when it's damp but not nearly soaked?

We'd be happy to look into this matter in more detail. Please submit how much you are prepared to offer us for funding and your desired result.

- Quboid

6. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 19:35 eRe4s3r

Here is their conclusion
"What we're finding more and more is that TV is uniquely awful for you," said Lyons. So even replacing a portion of your viewing time with an active game could be beneficial, she said.

"But the recommendation is: Get that food away from you! Don't have it on the couch with you, because you'll look up 10 minutes later and it'll be gone."

It's good to see that common sense still counts as science. But I assume the Huffington is spinning this study wrongly. They tested how active games compare to passive TV and found that passive TV is... worse for you than active games. They had to provide food or there would be no clear distinction for what they tested for. (Active vs Passive entertainment)

And that is imo a pretty important distinction. As usual, the head-line is sensationalist and only in the last paragraph does the Huffington even say what the study was REALLY about.

They found that watching TV causes you to eat more food than if you play active games

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 19:44.

5. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 18:54 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 17:51:
Mostly wet, or sorta wet? And really how wet is something when it's damp but not nearly soaked?

......Moist?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 17:51 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 17:35 Quboid

This just in: water is wet!  

- Quboid

2. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 16:20 Prez

Who fucking pays for these idiotic studies? I suppose that for the next study they are going to put some sex-starved pubescent teens in a room with smoking hot Swedish babes and be amazed when the dudes try to have sex with them.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2012, 15:36 Krovven

They asked them not to eat for 2 hours before the mealtime-scheduled appointments, recorded their appetite level before each session began, and then observed them playing games or watching TV for an hour.

So, they put hungry people alone in a room, with video games and food. The outcome, they ate while playing video games. Shocking!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo