Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I picked up a new printer a week or so ago, replacing the old one that died. We have the worst luck with printers here, at least partly due to not using them enough, which causes the inkjets to clog. Today we were at the big box store, so I picked up ink for when the starter cartridges run out, and the cost of the double-capacity XL cartridges came out to the same cost as the printer itself (which is noted for its low cost per page). This should not be a surprise with how some PC vendors have been pushing "free" printers over the years on the razors/blades model, but it is hard to not suffer sticker shock when that occurs.

R.I.P.: Sylvester Stallone's Son Dies At 36.

Inky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Hexagon Planet.
Bubble Fighting Tournament.
Stories: Australia surfer bitten in half by shark.
Science: Feces Fossil, Stone Tools Found In Oregon Caves Dispel Theory About First Americans.
Media: How HL2- Ep. 3 will end. Perfect. Thanks Cutter.
Seinfeld's New Show...About Nothing.
Adult baby outside fire station prank fails.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 18:15 Creston

I've had my Brother laser printer for going on 7 years now. It cost ~130 bucks when I bought it. Never changed anything in it, and it still prints like a charm. The only trouble I have with it is actually hacking a driver that'll work in Win7, since Brother never bothered to create one.

Inkjets are technology from the 90s. Time to move on, Blue!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 15:23 Krovven

Alamar wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 22:47:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 17:12:
Walking Dead Season 3 trailer has been been released.

Thankie : )

I like this show : )

-Alamar

I like the show, but it's been a love/hate relationship, kind of like Lost was. I'm hoping, based on this trailer (which looks fantastic) and Darabont no longer being the showrunner that things will pick up.

PHJF, this is the Comic-Con trailer. And yes TV shows have had trailers forever.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 14:17 DrEvil

Seriously, what the others said. Get a laser printer and never look back. If you need to print color, just drop by a FedEx/Kinko's with a USB Flash Drive and print there, it's way cheaper.

I paid $79 for a Brother HL-2270DW on sale at Staples; it's even wireless! Haven't even finished the starter cartridge yet and it has printed a few hundred pages this year.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 12:37 Creston

at least partly due to not using them enough, which causes the INKJETS to clog.

Well, there's your problem.

Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 02:59 beigemore

I had one of those Samsung ml2010's for several years but it finally bit the dust after 5 years of use on one toner cartridge. Now I'm using some wireless laser made by Brother that I got for like $100. I'd never go back to wet ink printers. They cost a fortune to use and don't last as long.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 02:29 theyarecomingforyou

I picked up a Brother HL-2035 laser printer years back and it's still going strong on the starter toner. A while back it gave me a warning light and then stopped printing but if you got up the hole at the side of the toner cartridge it just keeps on going (they claimed it was to ensure print quality... yeah right). The reality is that laser printer companies still pull as much anti-consumer shit but if you buy unofficial toner they are ridiculously cheap.

There really is no excuse to still be using inkjets nowadays. Heck, colour laser printers are really cheap now as well and the quality is superb.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 01:15 jimnms

DG wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 17:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:35:

Considering how cheap a good laser printer will cost these days, you might want to consider grabbing one of those the next time you need a replacement. Especially with the cost of toner cartridges. I picked up a Samsung CLP-320 for $120 last year and I'm still on the starter toner kit, and I've already printed double what the starter kit listed for the number of pages would print. They listed 2000 b/w and 400-500 colour. I've gotten ~4800b/w and around 650 colour so far.

And considering the toner cartridge is around the same price each for a single colour pack these days, I still end up coming ahead when I did the math.
+1

Picked up a super-cheap Samsung ML-2010 maybe 5 years ago and never looked back. I'm still using the toner that came with it, it's much faster, print quality much higher and more reliable. Can be slightly fussy with paper though.
+2

Inkjet ink is a scam. If don't use your printer for a couple of months, the ink dries out anyway. I rarely ever print anything, but with ink cartridges drying out after about 3 months, whether I used them or not, I was spending over $1 a page in ink. I bought a Samsung printer-scanner-copier for < $100 a few years ago. The starter toner didn't last long, but the replacement cartridges are only about $20 more than an ink cartridge and are good for 5000 pages. Luckily I managed to find three cartridges at CompUSA on their last day open and bought them for 90% off. I think I'm set for life with toner.

Steam Profile

15. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 14, 2012, 22:51 jdreyer

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 21:39:
Laser toner never dries up its powder. You will save a ton.
My first toner cartridge in my HP laserjet lasted 6 years with intermittent use. I rec a laser printer.

Also, too: Go Huskies !

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 22:47 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 17:12:

Thankie : )

I like this show : )

-Alamar

13. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 14, 2012, 21:39 UConnBBall

Laser toner never dries up its powder. You will save a ton.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 18:58 nin

Fang wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 18:48:
Ah, it was the Consumerist that infected me just now. I blamed all of the other ones. My antivirus stopped the first infection, but the second one got through. I think I'm all cleaned up now. That notice looks like it says its one of Consumerists ad servers that is infected.

Interesting, as they were down for half a day the other day. Wonder WTF they're doing over there...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 18:48 Fang

Ah, it was the Consumerist that infected me just now. I blamed all of the other ones. My antivirus stopped the first infection, but the second one got through. I think I'm all cleaned up now. That notice looks like it says its one of Consumerists ad servers that is infected.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 18:23 Sepharo

Scud wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 18:09:
Since when is the Consumerist considered an attack page? Anybody know more about this?

I'm getting the notice through Chrome as well.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 18:09 Scud

Since when is the Consumerist considered an attack page? Anybody know more about this?  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 17:42 PHJF

TV shows have trailers now? (especially shows as bad as that one)  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 17:21 DG

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:35:

Considering how cheap a good laser printer will cost these days, you might want to consider grabbing one of those the next time you need a replacement. Especially with the cost of toner cartridges. I picked up a Samsung CLP-320 for $120 last year and I'm still on the starter toner kit, and I've already printed double what the starter kit listed for the number of pages would print. They listed 2000 b/w and 400-500 colour. I've gotten ~4800b/w and around 650 colour so far.

And considering the toner cartridge is around the same price each for a single colour pack these days, I still end up coming ahead when I did the math.
+1

Picked up a super-cheap Samsung ML-2010 maybe 5 years ago and never looked back. I'm still using the toner that came with it, it's much faster, print quality much higher and more reliable. Can be slightly fussy with paper though.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 17:12 Wallshadows

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 17:05 Fang

It was probably an ad on the yahoo or huffingtonpost link then.

Maybe the "all clear" from yahoo in the safety dance section wasn't accurate.

I quickly blamed the the steam community link because it failed to load. It was probably the virus loading in from the yahoo or huffingtonpost link causing things to fail.

Can't do much about ads on major networks if they are infected.

I'm typing this on an iPad, my main machine is running malwarebytes.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 16:52 Dades

Fang wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 16:39:
I just picked up a virus from one of the links here. I believe it was the How HL2 will end link. It didn't load for me, instead it went to a steam community files link, and it started loading virus popups soon after that.

Just a warning for anyone else. Hopefully, it can prevent others from losing an afternoon.

You're probably compromised from a different source, I couldn't find any ads or external content on that link and scans shows it as clean. I would look into localized malware using MalwareBytes but if you already cleaned your machine, the actual source is likely gone already.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 16:42 Rattlehead

Whoa that's messed up, I can't imagine the pain and hurt of losing a child.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo