Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE

David Goldfarb has left developer DICE, where he served as lead designer on Battlefield Bad Company 2 and lead single-player designer for Battlefield 3. "It was time to move on for me," Goldfarb told Kotaku. "Fans have nothing to worry about." EA has not yet responded to the site's request for comment.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 13:11 Dmitri_M

It's amusing how posters here presume he was booted out. It's likely he did leave on his own volition. Or if they decided not to renew his contract because a SP component wasn't required, I bet they're sending him on his way with a great reference. Companies don't operate like internet forums "YOU SUCK LEAVE JUSTICE IS SERVED FOR GAMERS EVERYWHERE!". Only on the internet do people think that happens

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 05:44:
But who plays BF3 or BC2 for the SP ... it makes no sense. These games are 100% true MP games, all SP is just going to be some superficial crap no matter who does it.... Heck look at COD and it's whack-a-mole SP , at least compared to that BC2 was hilarious and BF3 was pretty epic.

I played BF3 till level 50 on MP then stopped. Didn't once try the SP component. I completely forgot it even had a SP component till the posts in this comments section reminded me..

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:39:
Ledge wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:22:
the reaperbot in quake, gave you a run for your money.

I forgot about the reaper bot, good call. Also the Omicron bot was pretty good too if I remember correctly.
Both great bots. The current two best are Frogbot and Frikbot. They have waypoint maps for nearly every custom Quake map out there. Playing Frog on Aerowalk it feels like you're playing against a human, really lifelike.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 12:57 Jackplug

What annoys me is that within a year its dead on its back, mp is so shit and hacked hell. Maps are boring with no imagination, mass destruction was a lie, also no map editor so fuck em!!  

21. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 12:19 DarkCntry

Ventura wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 11:15:
Single player is just something you can play by yourself. You get that, right? Whether or not it's just a simulation of a game's multiplayer mode doesn't mean a damned thing.

Uh...no, unless we're using some bastardization of the terminology here.

20. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 11:15 Ventura

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 03:55:
How can you say that bots on multiplayer maps creates a single-player experience? Last I saw, single-player games generally have, well, purpose other than to create an offline version of the online component....

Single player is just something you can play by yourself. You get that, right? Whether or not it's just a simulation of a game's multiplayer mode doesn't mean a damned thing.

You could probably count the number of people on the planet who played the BF3 campaign through completely from start to finish twice over on the one hand. They really fucking dropped the ball, but I'll bet this guy who left didn't make that call. It'd have come from higher up in a desperate attempt to compete with CoD.

The Battlefield franchise used to have so much character at the lans being able to fire up bot matches. They were stupid, sure, but trying desperately to hold a spawn point from dozens of bots approaching your position was a rush.

Such a pity.

19. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 09:58 Omni

Time to leave before bf turns into another cod, ohhh wait a min...  

18. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 08:39 RaZ0r!

Ledge wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:22:

I forgot about the reaper bot, good call. Also the Omicron bot was pretty good too if I remember correctly.

17. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 08:22 Ledge

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:03:
I've owned and played every Battlefield PC game except BF3 since it's not on Steam, and every Call of Duty PC game. (The first Medal of Honor too!) The one thing they all have in common for me is I have never touched the single-player in any of them.

I'm glad they put it in there for the people that want it, but it does nothing for me. I'd much rather go up against real people then a lame scripted AI anytime. I think AI has a long way to go for shooters, that or they don't put enough effort into it.

I will say though, the bots in the original Unreal Tournament were not too bad. It was actually enjoyable firing up a bot match on UT.

16. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 08:03 RaZ0r!

I've owned and played every Battlefield PC game except BF3 since it's not on Steam, and every Call of Duty PC game. (The first Medal of Honor too!) The one thing they all have in common for me is I have never touched the single-player in any of them.

I'm glad they put it in there for the people that want it, but it does nothing for me. I'd much rather go up against real people then a lame scripted AI anytime. I think AI has a long way to go for shooters, that or they don't put enough effort into it.

I will say though, the bots in the original Unreal Tournament were not too bad. It was actually enjoyable firing up a bot match on UT.

15. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 05:55 El Pit

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 05:44:
But who plays BF3 or BC2 for the SP ... it makes no sense. These games are 100% true MP games, all SP is just going to be some superficial crap no matter who does it.... Heck look at COD and it's whack-a-mole SP , at least compared to that BC2 was hilarious and BF3 was pretty epic.

What? Did you play the single player part of B:BC2? It was good!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

14. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 05:44 eRe4s3r

13. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 05:43 Fantaz

Probably left after he found out anyone can get into the Battlefield 4 beta by pre-ordering MoH Warfighter.  

12. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 03:55 DarkCntry

Ventura wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 03:23:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 02:40:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 02:38:
Ventura wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 02:31:
I bought BFBC2 and BF3 for the single player content

Yousaidwhat

Furthering that, somehow I missed something in the translation in that they considered the bot matches in BF2 (and prior) to be a single-player experience of sorts... Wtf

Haven't really been playing pc games for all that long, have you?

How can you say that bots on multiplayer maps creates a single-player experience? Last I saw, single-player games generally have, well, purpose other than to create an offline version of the online component....

So yea, I guess I'm brand new to this new-aged PC gaming stuff Hahaha_no

11. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 03:23 Ventura

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 02:40:

Yousaidwhat

Furthering that, somehow I missed something in the translation in that they considered the bot matches in BF2 (and prior) to be a single-player experience of sorts... Wtf

Haven't really been playing pc games for all that long, have you?

10. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 02:44 El Pit

I like the single player portion of B:BC2, but after I read that the single player in B3 would be more or less tacked on and half-assed, I didn't buy B3. But what his team and he did for B:BC2, was fun.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

9. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 02:40 DarkCntry

Yousaidwhat

8. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 02:38 Sepharo

Yousaidwhat

7. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 02:31 Ventura

I bought BFBC2 and BF3 for the single player content, and I definitely wouldn't hire him. Call of Duty has been owning the Battlefield franchise in this department ever since they dropped bots from the feature list.

Such a pity.

6. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 00:45 finga

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 21:15:
Gee, must be a real challenge essentially making the same game year in and out.
No, BF3's single player is the first game DICE made that directly tries to copy Call of Duty.

5. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 00:17 Flak

Wow, I didn't even play more than 10 minutes of the single player. Once I got to that little parking lot area and realized that if I didn't kill everyone and ran to the end of the parking lot, I could look down an alley way and watch endless streams of 'enemies' spawn out of thin air and just run towards me like idiots with no tactics or anything. Seemed like a really, really half-assed version of a Call of Duty 'single player' game.

I haven't put down a single player portion of a game faster than that since Halo Reach (yes scold me for playing it on 360). Luckily the multiplayer aspect of BF3 isn't horrible if you're playing with friends on a decent server.

4. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 13, 2012, 23:46 eRe4s3r

Given the fact that there are so many FPS games that suck (unlike BC2 and BF3) I would say.. yeah, it seems to be a real challenge indeed.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo