Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Previews

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Previews Jul 15, 2012, 12:29 coldcut

ShootMania looks like it's set sail for fail. Blacklight: Retribution is a really good FPS, and it's free to play (but not pay to win).

I don't know how it can be played "competitively", but the game as is really rocks the joint right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Previews Jul 14, 2012, 19:16 Jerykk

The problem with trying to make a modern twitch shooter is that Quake and UT pretty much perfected the genre over a decade ago. If you're going to make something that won't immediately be flagged as a Quake or UT-clone, you need to do something new, like Tribes did.  

4. Re: Evening Previews Jul 14, 2012, 11:41 Axis

Esoteric wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 00:03:
I just got into the Shootmania beta, played it a bit tonight. The engine feels nice enough for instagib (which is the true test of a smooth/reactive engine IMO). I haven't played the other gametypes yet, but the engine is the most important thing for a competitive FPS. Maps/game modes/etc can all be added easily through modding. So far I like what I see. Still have 7 more days to check it out, though, we'll see.

I've been waiting for a really good skill-based FPS since UT2k4. Tribes Ascend is pretty nice, but I really prefer instagib, and Tribes has no modding.

I play Tribes Ascend quite a bit, that and the occasional quakelive (bit tired of playing quake maps for the last 15ish years tho...).

I always hope for the best with these new guys who claim to make a game for oldschool pure twitch, but rarely do they get it right.

This post pretty much sums up how I felt playing it:

http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12065

Yours truly,

Axis

3. Re: Evening Previews Jul 14, 2012, 00:03 Esoteric

I just got into the Shootmania beta, played it a bit tonight. The engine feels nice enough for instagib (which is the true test of a smooth/reactive engine IMO). I haven't played the other gametypes yet, but the engine is the most important thing for a competitive FPS. Maps/game modes/etc can all be added easily through modding. So far I like what I see. Still have 7 more days to check it out, though, we'll see.

I've been waiting for a really good skill-based FPS since UT2k4. Tribes Ascend is pretty nice, but I really prefer instagib, and Tribes has no modding.

2. Re: Evening Previews Jul 13, 2012, 22:35 Jerykk

Looks like the Dishonored port will be very well done. Has just about every option you could ask for and a custom PC UI.  

1. Re: Evening Previews Jul 13, 2012, 21:36 Axis

Shootmania needs a ton of work, it's no where close to quake-type games.

I'm so sick of these noob reviewers acting like they know wtf is up.

Yours truly,

Axis

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo