Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter

This Kickstarter looks to jumpstart development of Defense Grid 2, a sequel to Hidden Path Entertainment's tower defense game. This one has an interesting approach, as there are funding goals to hit along the way. So if they raise $250K, they will create an eight-level expansion for the original Defense Grid; if they raise $500K they will build a new engine for a Defense Grid 2 remake with co-op multiplayer; at $750K they will add a level editor and other platforms; and if the campaign hits the $1M mark, they will be able to create the full sequel of their dreams. Thanks Bob.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

20. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 13:14 dj LiTh

Loved the original, still got it installed, and its perma installed on my older laptop, hope they get funded!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 13:12 Prez

I feel it is a problem. Kickstarter is (to my knowledge) supposed to help finance those who have tried and couldn't get financed, a last choice option.

That would be the source of our disagreement. I don't subscribe to your vision of kickstarter at all. Way too narrow and exclusive for me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:55 theyarecomingforyou

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:35:
This doesn't sound like some small Indie company that would be hard pressed to find funding or have issues with balancing a budget nicely
Even developers that produce successful games still need publishers to finance future games, which means that there are lots of strings attached and they rarely have complete creative freedom. Using KS avoids that, as well as rewarding the fans of the original.

At the end of the day it is up to individuals to determine whether it is worth funding. I loved the original game and am 100% happy to fund this KS, even if it only achieves the lowest tier of funding. If I didn't have any interest in supporting developers then I'd simply pirate all the games I wanted to play.

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:43:
I feel it is a problem. Kickstarter is (to my knowledge) supposed to help finance those who have tried and couldn't get financed, a last choice option. Now bigger players are seeing it a a first choice because they don't have to pay back loans so they can maximize profits. Kinda like taking from the poor to help the rich
This isn't EA or Ubisoft we're talking about. This is a developer that produced one successful game and achieved most of that through high profile sales on Steam. And again, if it achieve funding it means that a) there is demand for a sequel, and b) that they don't have to worry about investors meddling with the game design.

I couldn't care less whether other people think it's a good or bad idea. I'm happy to fund it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:53 Paketep

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:17:
PHJF wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:03:
You already had a kickstarter. It was called Defense Grid: The Awakening.

I completely agree with you there. A sequel is supposed to be financed by the original. If you need a kickstarter to make a sequel it tells me either the original didn't sell well enough to merit a sequel, or your sloppy with money/sales of the original and don't deserve to be kickstarted.

They were very clear on what they want the money for and how they're going to use whatever they get.

Don't want to contribute?. Don't contribute. I loved the original and have no problem contributing to a new one.

16. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 Paketep

Already sent them some money. Defense Grid was (and still is) fantastic.

More DG!!

15. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 Bucky

I have an extra copy of Defense Grid sitting in my Steam inventory, if anyone wants it.  

14. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:43 Kitkoan

Tumbler wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:40:
People keep pointing this out like it's an obvious problem...when it's not. Game development is funded by someone. If users want to step up and be that someone and the company continues to deliver then I see it as a positive.

I feel it is a problem. Kickstarter is (to my knowledge) supposed to help finance those who have tried and couldn't get financed, a last choice option. Now bigger players are seeing it a a first choice because they don't have to pay back loans so they can maximize profits. Kinda like taking from the poor to help the rich

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

13. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:43 Tumbler

If they reactivate the $20 tier, I'll bite.

I think they should leave that tier open until they fully fund. Once fully funded anyone else who wants in loses that special pricing. There were like 40 spots left when I jumped in and I don't think it'd been up that long.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:40 Tumbler

This doesn't sound like some small Indie company that would be hard pressed to find funding or have issues with balancing a budget nicely

Sounds a lot like Doublefine. They have projects running on the more traditional fronts and are considering this option for a project in the future.

People keep pointing this out like it's an obvious problem...when it's not. Game development is funded by someone. If users want to step up and be that someone and the company continues to deliver then I see it as a positive.

11. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:37 El Pit

If they reactivate the $20 tier, I'll bite.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:35 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:17:

To say that a sequel shouldn't need to be kickstarted is a bit dubious - maybe they only broke even on the original? Indies don't have publishers fronting them money for new projects regardless of how well received the original was. I am fully behind this project.

Well, Microsoft promoted them at the Game Developers Conference in 2009 (months before they sold the game). And they are currently working with Valve on their Counter Strike games. This sounds like not your usual Indie company. It was created by Mark Terrano, the lead designer of Age of Empires 2 and it used the Gamebryo engine (Elder Scrolls 4, Fallout 3). This doesn't sound like some small Indie company that would be hard pressed to find funding or have issues with balancing a budget nicely

9. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:26 Tumbler

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:17:
Defense Grid is still my favorite tower defense game, though Sanctum came close to beating it.

Sanctum...isn't that on sale on steam? *Checking*

Almost as fun as defense grid for $2.49? Ok sold. And DLC is $0.50? Ok, fine, you get $3.

*Sigh of relief* almost didn't buy anything on the first day of the summer steam sale...feels good.

Wait...what is this sanctum collection for $5...*reading*

Oh god the savings, the savings feel so good. $5 cha ching.

8. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:19 Tumbler

I got in on the $20 tier a couple of days ago. I really, REALLY hope that this game achieves funding for the full sequel.

Same. I was scoffing at the idea of funding this until I saw that you get all the DLC for the first game when you donate for the 2nd. I'm shocked they already delivered the codes since if it doesn't get funded I dont' get charge and worse if I choose I can pull my donation...

The same deal applies for a $30 donation right now, the $20 price was an early bird special. I really like the early bird special stuff. I'm all for giving people who donated before the project was full funded a bigger reward.

I'm excited to see what they deliver and playing through all the map packs on the first one is going to be a lot of fun!

7. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:18 Quboid

If the goal was $1m and they only raise $999,999.99, then the whole thing would be off. This way, they'll probably at least get something out of it.

This should be against the Kickstarter rules IMHO. The title of the Kickstarter should represent what the goal will achieve which is not the case here.

- Quboid

6. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 Prez

Defense Grid is still my favorite tower defense game, though Sanctum came close to beating it. I'm in on this for $50.

To say that a sequel shouldn't need to be kickstarted is a bit dubious - maybe they only broke even on the original? Indies don't have publishers fronting them money for new projects regardless of how well received the original was. I am fully behind this project.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 Kitkoan

PHJF wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:03:

I completely agree with you there. A sequel is supposed to be financed by the original. If you need a kickstarter to make a sequel it tells me either the original didn't sell well enough to merit a sequel, or your sloppy with money/sales of the original and don't deserve to be kickstarted.

4. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:06 KTR

What a misleading kickstarter. The project is for DG2, though their set goal of $250K does not get you DG2. Why not set the goal to $1mil?

Anyways, $55 from me (for 3 copies).

3. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:03 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 theyarecomingforyou

I got in on the $20 tier a couple of days ago. I really, REALLY hope that this game achieves funding for the full sequel.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 11:53 Verno

Great game, definitely gonna throw in on this.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo