Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year

During a Comic-Con panel today, Epic Games revealed that Fortnite will use the Unreal Engine 4, and that their Minecraft-style building and survival game will be released for PCs in 2013. They offer a few Fortnite screenshots showing off the game's visuals, and word from the show is: "Attendees also received a first look at Fortnite’s building system, which is designed so that players can use scavenged materials to quickly build and renovate structures of varying materials and complexity."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 14, 2012, 14:40 Razumen

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 13:31:
id only thought to attempt a cash in on the post-apocalyptic popularity. Epic really knows how to pander!

Post Apocalypse: Check
Zombies: Check
Minecraft: Check
TF2 art style: Check

All that remains is them to reveal the micro-transaction model for this "free to play" game. After all the sucking up to Tim Shaffer that CliffyB has done lately, I'm sure he'll also call this an indie title.

Exactly, even though they're obviously trying REALLY hard to ape TF2, it just doesn't have the same charm. The characters are generic edgy/grunge/hipster/blah and the setting is even more uninspired. Even Minecraft's block worlds are probably more fun to explore than this.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic though, despite all this, it's just in my nature. :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 14, 2012, 13:31 Beelzebud

id only thought to attempt a cash in on the post-apocalyptic popularity. Epic really knows how to pander!

Post Apocalypse: Check
Zombies: Check
Minecraft: Check
TF2 art style: Check

All that remains is them to reveal the micro-transaction model for this "free to play" game. After all the sucking up to Tim Shaffer that CliffyB has done lately, I'm sure he'll also call this an indie title.

24. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 14, 2012, 06:29 fox

I expected some kinda of Samaritan like game but this is really shifty piece of crap. Many thanks Epic.  

23. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 18:24 Dmitri_M

Theo wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 17:12:
I am confused, is there a source that says its a PC exclusive?

Fortnite is Epic's first Unreal Engine 4 game and it'll ship "exclusively for the PC," Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinksi said today during a San Diego Comic-Con 2012 panel. "We're here and we're announcing that this is a PC-designed game, it's shipping exclusively for the PC," he told a crowd of attendees.

Joystiq source article

Apparently he later stated on Twitter that:
"We wouldn't rule out the possibility of other platforms later," he wrote. That is, while Fortnite will be "primary and first" on PC, it may not be exclusive to the platform forever."

Theo wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 17:12:
but i dont get the hate for Epic
Spiffy and Rein have on multiple occasions made remarks that amount to: "We sell more silly cover shooters on console so therefore PC is dead" and "PC is dead because people buying low end laptops with integrated graphics can't run our games". Google search 'disparaging remarks by Epic about PC' will turn up multiple articles dating back years. Statements like this are ridiculous and pure spin, why don't they just admit it's easier developing for consoles? Instead they choose to slam the PC platform as a whole.

Now with this lame kiddie looking game they're back claiming that the PC IS NEXTGEN because UE4 won't run on current consoles. Then in two years time when the new consoles hit they'll be saying "PC gaming is dead".

A major developer with PC roots makes a point of saying that PC gaming is dead. It isn't dead. These statements by major players in the industry are completely self-serving and don't help anyone trying to develop for the PC.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 18:44.

22. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 17:12 Theo

I am confused, is there a source that says its a PC exclusive? cause i always got the impression it would land on consoles, and the PC would get a "tuned up version" post that.

I am not saying in any way that i am right, i just always had that impression and dont know where i got it from. Also in the above text there is *nothing* to suggest a PC exclusive; just a note saying it will come to PC and use UE4 on pc (porting between the 2 really shouldnt be overly taxing).

Also, i know this will be a bit of a "burn the heretic" moment, but i dont get the hate for Epic, yes they have been doing console games for sometime, but gears3 was lots of fun if you like "chewing gum dude bro shooters" and dont take it overly seriously. I certainly enjoy it anyhow.

Seems like Epic get most heat because CliffyB talks a bit o shit from time to time, but lets face it; he is just 1 part of a very large wheel, and at least you dont tend to hear him shit talking other developers; he's usually pretty respectful of other IP's and development houses.

seems like a lot of panties in a twist about the whole "omg console releases".

That ramble aside, i'd be interested on the original source for the article above - as like i said, i always got the impression it would be a multi-platform thing, i am more than happy to see epic back on the PC action.

If anything, i was upset i didnt get to play gears 3 on a PC; was a decent fun shooter.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

21. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 16:48 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:13:
necrosis wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:07:
Is this some kind of joke? THIS is the PC exclusive Epic is bringing us?

They revealed this as what it was months ago.
Almost definitely a $20-$30 game that was the idea of a few guys and is being used to stretch some unused muscles and to fill time between UE4 being ready and new consoles coming out. They're trying something completely new for them as an experiment. Could be pretty fun.

Could be. Or it could be another "AAA" game studio unwilling to take a chance... delivering only a pale imitation of a genre that they think will be the new smash hit...

Looks like Minecraft is the new WoW. I suppose it'll take two dozen lame ripoffs before various industry giants realize that you can't catch lightning in a bottle after the stroke has fallen...

Dunce

20. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 12:46 space captain

art design is worse than some high schooler shit  
Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 Cutter

Omni wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:16:
Epic can suck my balls, epic is nothing but a whiny bunch of greedy cunts there goes where the money is.
Fortnite is prolly not even worth pirating.

Epic can suck all our balls, sir! Every single one!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 10:13 Beamer

necrosis wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:07:

They revealed this as what it was months ago.
Almost definitely a $20-$30 game that was the idea of a few guys and is being used to stretch some unused muscles and to fill time between UE4 being ready and new consoles coming out. They're trying something completely new for them as an experiment. Could be pretty fun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 09:44 MattyC

Omni wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:16:
Epic can suck my balls, epic is nothing but a whiny bunch of greedy cunts there goes where the money is.

Yeah, screw those guys that gave us solid editors, mod support, and free mini-expansions. I am totally not going to even pirate their game. What jerks!

16. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 09:16 Omni

15. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 09:07 necrosis

14. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 08:27 SpectralMeat

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 21:37:
It looks like an Epic take on a Valve game. Visually at least.
My thoughts exactly, TF2 came to mind as soon as I saw the screenshots. Especially the one with the character with the pylon on the head as a hat.

I am expecting an announcement that this will be a free to play game.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 08:37.

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 04:27 hello newman

Ugh..

Is THIS the PC exclusive CliffyB was talking about some time ago ? a minecraft clone with pretty graphics!?

There's no bottomless mug-o-inspiration it seems....

12. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 04:06 Dmitri_M

Perhaps these shots were intended for print. The quality of their pr material is more interesting than the game.  

11. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 03:15 eRe4s3r

Likely they used some weird render to screenshot function so the screenshots can be used for print... never heard of 8255x4485 or anything that could even drive that resolution. And google says that this is the only press release screenshot series that uses this resolution.. pretty weird O.o  

10. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 12, 2012, 22:36 Fantaz

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 21:22:
Thats why the screen resolution is so insane, to look at it properly you have to zoom-back to your resolution and AA magically happens. in reality, the game will look like flickering crap or blurry crap, UT engine and AA is really peculiar

Did they take screenshots on a 4Kp monitor? 8255x4485 resolution shots... wtf

9. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 12, 2012, 22:20 Razumen

Hmm, not really digging the art direction, MC's simplicity gave it a sort of cute charm, but Fortnite's attempt to mix edgy & stylized approaches feels like it misses the point of both.

Also, the buidling aspect doesn't look that promising either, though they may reveal more obviously as time goes on. The world doesn't look like it's randomly generated either, which may be a plus or a minus.

8. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 12, 2012, 22:20 nin

LF-UED, whoo, how exciting...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 12, 2012, 22:19 Draugr

This looks terrible. I'll hold my judgement for the game itself but why they went with such a generic/stylized approach to the artwork is beyond me. If your going for some post apocalyptic setting, maybe you should capture the ambiance better.

Considering this is probably going to be Epics only PC 'exclusive' for the foreseeable future, you'd think they'd want to do something that would do a better job of showing things off, show what the top end can do IN GAME, not with a cinematic.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo