Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Summer Sale Begins

The eagerly anticipated Steam Summer Sale is now underway, and will run through July 22nd, with new deals to be added every day. The website seems to be struggling at this moment to meet demand, so a little refreshing may be required. Word is: "The annual Steam Summer Sale is on now. Gamers will find amazing deals on thousands of games. The Summer Sale will again feature more than straight discounts, offering Daily Deals, Flash Sales, and 'Customer Choice' Sales, the latter allowing gamers to vote for a title on a given list to be put on sale for a limited time." They list a; the Summer Sale 2012 Publisher Packs, there is a list of top sellers on sale down at the bottom of the page, along with a selection of flash sales that only last a few hours each, like Deus Ex: Human Revolution for 75% off for the next five hours. Here are today's specials:

View
169 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

149. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 14:15 DG

Yes they're giving the daily deals a big overlap this year.

Glad / wallet sad because in the past I've been afk for a day and missed stuff.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

148. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 14:09 Prez

Was really hoping Anno would be cheaper than 50%.....don't want it that bad.

Agreed. I am interested but I view it as a $15 purchase at maximum.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 14:17.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

147. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 13:44 xXBatmanXx

THat was weird...the timers had another day left on them for daily deals....but they just refreshed......
/edit: nm, I forget that they have them overlap....

Dust 3.74
Tribes Starter 4.99
Binding of Isaac Soundtrack .24

If you don't have Isaac, you MUST buy it.
Or you are dumb....so much content for $2.23!!!!

Was really hoping Anno would be cheaper than 50%.....don't want it that bad.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 13:50.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

146. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 13:40 xXBatmanXx

Herzog wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 13:04:
My forum name is Herzog and it has been 28 seconds since I purchased a game on Steam.

CKII DLC Combo
12.49 USD

heheh grabbed Ghost Recon for 2.xx couldn't resist....my first of many many purchases...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

145. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 13:04 Herzog

My forum name is Herzog and it has been 28 seconds since I purchased a game on Steam.

CKII DLC Combo
12.49 USD

144. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 11:15 Prez

Alamar wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 11:05:
Steam fucking POS Bullshit...

The one and only game I went into this sale wanting... And steam gives me errors while trying to buy it (not the first time)...

-Alamar

Which one? I'll buy it for you and you can paypal me the money (or gift an equivalent game when Steam is working again for you).

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

143. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 11:05 Alamar

Steam fucking POS Bullshit...

The one and only game I went into this sale wanting... And steam gives me errors while trying to buy it (not the first time)...

-Alamar

142. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:54 nin

Next flash sale in 8 minutes...seeing as two are expiring, I suspect we'll get something else besides ghost recon...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

141. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:53 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:47:
Missed a flash sale vote....sleep was nice though.....

Wuss! You can sleep all you want when you're dead!

True. Was a rough past 7 days - first night I had good sleep. And my 400 games can keep me busy if I miss 1 on sale.

140. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:51 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:47:

Wuss! You can sleep all you want when you're dead!

- Mahatma Gandhi

139. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:47 xXBatmanXx

138. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:33 cronik

nin wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:20:
Still on the fence of ridge racer. It got fair reviews and looked fun, but I can't help but think it might get cheaper...

I wouldn't bother, they took the fun out of ridge racer bro.

137. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:32 Fibrocyte

I'm enjoying Legend of Grimrock and will play it through. Still on the fence about Warlock. I'm downloading that demo now and will give it a go.  

136. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:20 nin

Still on the fence of ridge racer. It got fair reviews and looked fun, but I can't help but think it might get cheaper...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

135. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:18 Prez

Verno wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:14:
Just a FYI, if you get a combo thing like the SR3 franchise pack and you already own a piece of the bundle, you usually do NOT receive a copy of the game you already to gift. I was kinda bummed to discover it's a very limited thing, only a few games on the service get it.

That's a huge downside of Steam. Why do I not get extra copies of the games I already own? As someone who tends to gift like crazy, I could really use those extra copies. Hey, I paid for them, they ought to be added to my inventory as extras. As it is, it only works that way with very few games and four-packs like the Torchlight 2 offer.

- Mahatma Gandhi

134. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 10:14 Verno

Just a FYI, if you get a combo thing like the SR3 franchise pack and you already own a piece of the bundle, you usually do NOT receive a copy of the game you already to gift. I was kinda bummed to discover it's a very limited thing, only a few games on the service get it.

Also Dev sperging about Steam ITT Crowngrin

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

133. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 08:30 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 07:41:
In my case, this was AFTER it went on the flash sale. It continued to happen on the main page too (not just the game page) where it showed 75% off in the flash sale in one page load, then showed 50% on the flash sale number when I reloaded, then another reload it went back to 75%
Hmm... I missed that one because I had to sleep. I'd even voted for it to go on sale. I'd much prefer it if each sale lasted 12hrs but there were several overlapping, so it was constantly changing. As it is people are going to miss sales and get annoyed (that's why Valve added the countdown timers in the first place).

Oh well, when I checked Trine 2 was on sale for 75% off and that was actually a game I was more interested in - as well as considerably cheaper - so it worked out for the best.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

132. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 07:41 Dev

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 07:30:
Dev wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 03:42:
I noticed that with the SR3 game, it was 50% off one minute and DLC like 33% off, then 75% off all. And it wasn't just front page, it was the game page.

Good ole valve and their crappy load balancing that happens EVERY SINGLE SUMMER/WINTER SALE

In both instances, the games in question became "Flash Sales" in between page refreshes - no random price - changing going on.
In my case, this was AFTER it went on the flash sale. It continued to happen on the main page too (not just the game page) where it showed 75% off in the flash sale in one page load, then showed 50% on the flash sale number when I reloaded, then another reload it went back to 75%

Initially it coulda been valve adjusting the numbers, kinda a staggered going live thing, but it happened a while later too. I think it was just the server load doing wonky things.
I even saw one page reload that had an empty spot in daily deals where it showed one games pic replaced by one that said "this deal not available in your region." That disappeared after reloading the page

Not to mention that the front page description says new deals every day, yet if you look at the daily deals, it shows it being a 2 day sale for them. If we are lucky, that means new deals without today's ending for an extra day. If we are unlucky, someone at valve will panic when the new deals don't show up properly and we won't see them at 10am.

I bet a lot of these things could be explained by server load and not sending complete page info (like a dropping packets by the server kinda thing)
For instance, what if the default price shown on screen is the normal sale price, and they just overwrite the number shown on screen with the flash sale price towards the end of the page load? If it drops the packet that contains the price update, it shows the other price. That would explain the issues I saw.
Clunky programming, but with valve, its to be expected. If they had it completely together, they would have fixed front end/load balancing problems with the store front LONG LONG ago. Generally those should be your #1 priority if your business relies on a web store front thats actually working, to bring income in.

If you look behind the curtain on steam, there's generally a lot of weirdness going on

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 07:54.

131. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 07:30 Prez

Dev wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 03:42:
.net_Drifter wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 02:58:
As a side note, prices seemed to change randomly when the front page refreshes. Warlock, for example, is 30% off one refresh, 66% off the next, click add to cart on the 66% off one and the 30% off shows up in the cart, lol.
I give up for tonight.
I noticed that with the SR3 game, it was 50% off one minute and DLC like 33% off, then 75% off all. And it wasn't just front page, it was the game page.

Good ole valve and their crappy load balancing that happens EVERY SINGLE SUMMER/WINTER SALE

In both instances, the games in question became "Flash Sales" in between page refreshes - no random price - changing going on.

- Mahatma Gandhi

130. Re: Grimrock or Warlock? Jul 13, 2012, 04:40 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 23:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 22:26:
To Grimrock or to Warlock, that is the question.
Who says you have to choose!? They are each only $5

Heh, I ended up getting both. Along with Hard Reset.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

169 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo