Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Clint Hocking Joins Valve

Clint Hocking tweets a photo of his arrival at Valve as GamesIndustry International reports the former creative director at Ubisoft Montreal has joined Valve in an unspecified role. Hocking recently left LucasArts, where he did not ship any games.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 13, 2012, 05:02 InBlack

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 18:42:
I'll bet those teams that Valve hired, and enabled them to transform their projects in to AAA quality titles, are very depressed at having to face such a tyranny.

Hehhehe

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 21:09 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:51:
Apparently not which makes me wonder why they post for specific jobs with specific skills and/or education if it's all just a big free love fest for them. I admit, getting paid a ton to do nothing is pretty much most people's idea of a dream job though.
The consensus seems to be that they're looking for people with the right skills to flesh out the studio, even if people don't work assigned jobs. The guy with advanced rendering knowledge is still essential to the project as a whole even if he doesn't work on it all of the time. You wouldn't have a game without him.

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:55:
Okay, let's put this stupid "Valve is a bunch of lazy f*cks who don't like to do the boring work" meme to rest, shall we? Games shipped in the last five years:
2007: HL2: Ep2
2007: Portal
2007: TF2
2008: L4D
2009: L4D2
2010: Alien Swarm
2011: Portal 2
I'd debate that list somewhat

The Orange Box: It's effectively a whole game, split up into 3 parts. Developed entirely within Valve, although the Portal concept was acquired from the Digipen students.

L4D: Purchased from Turtle Rock. And I don't mean the idea (e.g. Portal), I mean the game. Valve still had to do some work on it (and apply the usual Valve polish), but it came to them in a fairly complete state and most of the work was done by what amounts to Not-Valve.

L4D2: L4D expansion pack. Produced internally, but mostly contains the crap Valve was supposed to release for L4D1.

Alien Swarm: Basically an incomplete game where most of the work was done by another studio before Valve bought them.

Portal 2: First complete Valve developed game since The Orange Box in 2007.

So really Valve has only produced a few whole games internally in the last decade. HL2, The Orange Box, and Portal 2. Everything else has been a full acquisition or an expansion pack/episode. Valve getting DOTA 2 out this year would be the first time they have released a new internally developed game only one calendar year after the last, as opposed to taking 3-4 years.

Don't get me wrong though. They produce/publish great games. They're just really slow with internal projects.

16. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 20:46 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 19:00:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:53:
Considering the number of employees Valve has, they should be doing at least one full-scale game a year. Then again, Steam has pretty well allowed them to take their time with their projects.

Nothing wrong with Valve shepherding projects along if it keeps producing quality games. Most of the ones mentioned here were unpolished alpha mod equivalents before they were in the picture, people really underestimate the level of work involved.

Very true, which has helped them largely avoid the trap that a lot of indie developers have, that being a fundamental lack of polish. You can call Valve games a lot of things, but "rough around the edges" isn't one of them.

15. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 19:00 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:53:
Considering the number of employees Valve has, they should be doing at least one full-scale game a year. Then again, Steam has pretty well allowed them to take their time with their projects.

Nothing wrong with Valve shepherding projects along if it keeps producing quality games. Most of the ones mentioned here were unpolished alpha mod equivalents before they were in the picture, people really underestimate the level of work involved.

14. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 18:42 Beelzebud

I'll bet those teams that Valve hired, and enabled them to transform their projects in to AAA quality titles, are very depressed at having to face such a tyranny.

13. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 15:53 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:25:
Portal was original, I'll give them that. Everything else was fast, cheap and easy to do, most of of it built on or around mods/other people's work. And what have they really changed about Steam since it launched. Not much and it's still a shitty UI. What do they spend most of their time doing? Making hats for TF2 and crap like that. So yeah, they are lazy considering how large they are and how much money they have. Imagine what that could accomplish if they were actually focused. I like valve but honestly, their work style reminds me more of government workers than a real business.

Portal started off as a student project at DigiPen where Valve hired the developers. Additionally, L4D was a project where Valve bought the development studio.

12. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 15:25 Cutter

Okay, let's put this stupid "Valve is a bunch of lazy f*cks who don't like to do the boring work" meme to rest, shall we? Games shipped in the last five years:

And now the mighty Blizzard, arguably the largest and most popular studio in the world:
2007: WoW: Burning Crusade
2008: WoW: Lich King
2010: StarCraft 2
2010: WoW: Cataclysm
2011: Diablo 3

If there was anyone who could afford to take their time and get a game right before launch, it's Blizzard. And yet the D3 launch was a disaster, and the RMAH wasn't even ready at launch.

Valve will also release DOTA 2 this year, which has been in polished beta form for a year already.

In addition Valve has built the most dominant PC game community and delivery system in the world. Yes, Steam has it's quirks but it's miles better than that Origin crap put out by supposedly non-lazy EA. My origin adverts all display in Russian for God's sake (they changed one day by themselves). And I had to register for Origin twice b/c the registration process directed me to an infinite loop the first time, and locked out my email. And this wasn't at launch, but just last month.

So let's stop calling Valve a lazy bunch of doodlers and dreamers, shall we? You don't ship the kind of quality games that they do or build the kind of robust software that supports millions of users by being lazy. It's untrue and unfair.

Portal was original, I'll give them that. Everything else was fast, cheap and easy to do, most of of it built on or around mods/other people's work. And what have they really changed about Steam since it launched. Not much and it's still a shitty UI. What do they spend most of their time doing? Making hats for TF2 and crap like that. So yeah, they are lazy considering how large they are and how much money they have. Imagine what that could accomplish if they were actually focused. I like valve but honestly, their work style reminds me more of government workers than a real business.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 14:57 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:57:
But none of those were original IPs and they stole the work from somebody else durr durr Dunce

Seriously, for half those titles they just bought the team working on it, made them official Valve employees and paid them to make a better, improved, barely-recognizable version.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 14:36 Panickd

So let's stop calling Valve a lazy bunch of doodlers and dreamers, shall we? You don't ship the kind of quality games that they do or build the kind of robust software that supports millions of users by being lazy. It's untrue and unfair.

Not sure why you feel the need to defend them so vehemently but, OK. I seriously doubt they care what internet trolls say about them. Just people who are jealous their own office isn't like that.

9. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 13:57 Sepharo

But none of those were original IPs and they stole the work from somebody else durr durr Dunce  

8. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 13:55 jdreyer

And now the mighty Blizzard, arguably the largest and most popular studio in the world:
2007: WoW: Burning Crusade
2008: WoW: Lich King
2010: StarCraft 2
2010: WoW: Cataclysm
2011: Diablo 3

If there was anyone who could afford to take their time and get a game right before launch, it's Blizzard. And yet the D3 launch was a disaster, and the RMAH wasn't even ready at launch.

Valve will also release DOTA 2 this year, which has been in polished beta form for a year already.

In addition Valve has built the most dominant PC game community and delivery system in the world. Yes, Steam has it's quirks but it's miles better than that Origin crap put out by supposedly non-lazy EA. My origin adverts all display in Russian for God's sake (they changed one day by themselves). And I had to register for Origin twice b/c the registration process directed me to an infinite loop the first time, and locked out my email. And this wasn't at launch, but just last month.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 13:43 TychoCelchuuu

And I thought the Ubi DRM started after he left.  

6. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 13:28 jacobvandy

I don't think their creative directors have anything to do with that...  

5. Foolzatch@gmail.com Jul 12, 2012, 13:18 Rain

Maybe he'll give Valve some insight on how to beef up their DRM to the Uber-Ubisoft level.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

4. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 12:52 El Pit

Hocking recently left LucasArts, where he did not ship any games.

So, he is the right guy to lead the development of Half-Life 2: Episode 3. Right?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

3. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 12:51 Cutter

reisub wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:40:
...the former creative director at Ubisoft Montreal has joined Valve in an unspecified role.
Is there any other kind at Valve?

Apparently not which makes me wonder why they post for specific jobs with specific skills and/or education if it's all just a big free love fest for them. I admit, getting paid a ton to do nothing is pretty much most people's idea of a dream job though.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 12:44 Beamer

...the former creative director at Ubisoft Montreal has joined Valve where he'll do whatever he feels like. It may sometimes involve creating games, but usually only so far as doodling guns and monsters on a cocktail napkin during extended lunches, because game design becomes pretty dull after that stage.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 12:40 reisub

...the former creative director at Ubisoft Montreal has joined Valve in an unspecified role.
Is there any other kind at Valve?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo