Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 01:09 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 19:38:
Meanwhile up here in Canada I've got a 60GB/month limit and if you go over they don't charge you extra but drop your connection down to the pathetic "light" package for a couple weeks. We USED to be advanced in our communication networks. But as usual leave it to government to allow abusive monopolies to f everything up.

I pay $30 per month for unlimited 5Mbps DSL for an extra $10 I can get 12Mbps unlimited but I don't need it. You just need to shop around a little more. However, I do agree there isn't remotely enough competition in Canada.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 19:38 NegaDeath

Meanwhile up here in Canada I've got a 60GB/month limit and if you go over they don't charge you extra but drop your connection down to the pathetic "light" package for a couple weeks. We USED to be advanced in our communication networks. But as usual leave it to government to allow abusive monopolies to f everything up.  

30. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 19:10 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 17:03:
Prez wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:23:
But this in my opinion is still an improvement over the previous policy.

I completely disagree.

Did you ever get a warning letter or your service shut off by Comcast? You said you go over all the time right? So of course you would think this is worse. But had the last rules actually been enforced as they were written you would lose your service. Here they increase the cap to what amounts to 349GB and charge you $10 at 350GB or $20 at 400GB. I could be wrong about the cap if they're just charging 20 cents a GB after 300 but it still is better than having your service shut off at 250.

Obviously I would also prefer no cap at all or at least an unenforced cap

That's exactly it. The 250GB cap, for all of everyone's bitching about it, was never enforced. I probably average around 300-350GB a month and have never once even received a notice. The lowest usage I have heard resulting in a denial of service by Comcast was 700GB, and that was repeated monthly. The cap was actually set at or over 500GB from everything I've read - the stated one of 250GB seems like it was more of a scare tactic for habitual pirates than anything.

Essentially we are going from no cap for honest users to a hard cap where Comcast get's to fleece their customers for even more money. Fuck them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 19:06 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:47:
If you think about it, for same day delivery, Amazon is going to have to charge a significant delivery charge. Plus they have to add in tax too. Please explain how this is going to drive local businesses out of the business? Sure might be a few who don't mind the extra charge, but in the long run, I would much rather buy it from the store or from another internet retailer that does charge tax.
Prime only charges $4 for next day, free for 2 day.
You can get free prime trials.

Even if they increased it to same day for $10 with prime, thats a heck of a bargain.

It would STILL be cheaper to buy a USB cable from amazon, even with next day $10 , than the $20+ it costs at office depot.

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 17:31 Narf2029

Same day delivery from Amazon would be great by me. I use Prime and I already check on Amazon before I go out to buy something in a store. Unless I desperately need it, I can afford to wait two days and get it sent right to my door with no shipping fee per order, no taxes, and all my gasoline stays in my car. I got Prime mainly to try out their digital viewing (which is kind of sparse right now in my opinion but it's still new I guess, though it is cheaper than Netflix in the long run) but just the other day I ordered a $10 mouse because my last mouse was wearing out. A $10 item shipped to me in 2 days for nothing beyond what I already paid for Prime. I thought of going to Micro Center but with taxes and fuel costs, that would've become a $15 mouse at least. Instead of waiting until I have a few things I need from a given store (and probably talking myself out of one or two), I just get them from Amazon as the need, and occasionally the want, arises now. It's insidious.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 17:03 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:23:

I completely disagree.

Did you ever get a warning letter or your service shut off by Comcast? You said you go over all the time right? So of course you would think this is worse. But had the last rules actually been enforced as they were written you would lose your service. Here they increase the cap to what amounts to 349GB and charge you $10 at 350GB or $20 at 400GB. I could be wrong about the cap if they're just charging 20 cents a GB after 300 but it still is better than having your service shut off at 250.

Obviously I would also prefer no cap at all or at least an unenforced cap

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 16:58 nin

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:47:
If you think about it, for same day delivery, Amazon is going to have to charge a significant delivery charge. Plus they have to add in tax too. Please explain how this is going to drive local businesses out of the business? Sure might be a few who don't mind the extra charge, but in the long run, I would much rather buy it from the store or from another internet retailer that does charge tax.

They'll rope it into Prime, like they do now...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 16:47 Ozmodan

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 16:23 Prez

I completely disagree.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Same day? not in my life time Jul 12, 2012, 14:30 Dev

JeffD wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 14:29:
The thing people seem to be forgetting is, we can DO next day air because UPS and USPS and fedex all do it. Amazon does no shipping of their own. NONE of these guys do same day shipping, nore are they set up to do it. The only way amazon could do same day shipping is if you lived like 30 minutes from the warehouse in which it would be doable to manage a fleet of vans to do local deliverys by amazon.
Incorrect.
http://www.fedex.com/us/fedex/shippingservices/package/sameday.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/same-day-delivery.html

They only do it in certain areas (mostly near the bigger cities), but thats where amazon would likely locate regional warehouses anyway.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2012, 14:37.

22. Same day? not in my life time Jul 12, 2012, 14:29 JeffD

The thing people seem to be forgetting is, we can DO next day air because UPS and USPS and fedex all do it. Amazon does no shipping of their own. NONE of these guys do same day shipping, nore are they set up to do it. The only way amazon could do same day shipping is if you lived like 30 minutes from the warehouse in which it would be doable to manage a fleet of vans to do local deliverys by amazon.  

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 14:26 Dev

PropheT wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:15:
There's Best Buy, although they closed the one I went to (the one where they hate you for walking in the door is still there, ~6-7 more miles away on the other side of town). I quit going there because I got sick of being shaken down like a thief every time I go out the door...you just saw me pay for this stuff, just leave me alone and no I don't want a $2 service plan for my $5 DVD.
BTW, while you have to put up with that crap at places like Costco and Sam's club because its in your member agreement which can be revoked if you don't, you do NOT have to submit to door checks at places like best buy. They have no right to do it. Its something like unlawful detainer if actually they try and stop you. The way they do it attempts to intimidate people into doing it willingly and they can get away with that.
They also have to meet a whole list of conditions to meet stop someone for thinking they are shoplifting (which is why most stores just tell their employees not to bother, that and the safety of the employees), and the door checkers can't really meet that list, so they can't stop you for that either if you just want to walk out (presuming of course that you bought the stuff).

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2012, 14:33.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 13:53 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:10:
And I find that odd given how close most major and minor Canadian towns/cities are to the border and even technically closer to ship to than some American border towns.

Curious if that has something to do with US or CA Customs. Governments do a lot of funky shit to stabilize their markets and since MX and CA are so close they might have more costly regulations than SG. SG for a matter of fact might even have some lower costs or streamlined customs because it has high level of exports. The US is also mainly a consumer. We don't like to give other people stuff. Shipping to other countries is a strange and foreign concept to us. Unless it is guns. Those are free.

Don't know. Hopefully the one world government/robot overlords will solve this problem.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 13:43 mag

I go out of my way to occasionally buy a book from the local bookstore instead of Amazon. It's a little more expensive, but I do appreciate a physical location to go browse books at.  

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 13:10 Cutter

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:26:
Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:11:
That's vastly overstating the importance of Amazon. People still want and need to go shopping for food and clothes in actual stores.

I agree with you for the most part as most people are reluctant to change their shopping habits and clothes shopping itself is always useful to have a fitting room instead of buy it, ship it, doesn't fit, return it and wait for a different size. As a guy though, unless I'm buy a suit I don't really try things on beforehand anyways and I know my dimensions well enough to order online and usually not have a problem.

Food will be even easier. Sure, I'm not going to order fresh fruit, vegetables or meat from Amazon. That is what Farmer's Markets are for the most part. But Tuna? Bread? Mayo and instant dinners or mixes? Sure. Why not? The stuff is filled with preservatives, frozen or with a long enough shelf life where it wouldn't matter. Why not get it delivered to my door?

Well, I suppose it's fine for the US but Amazon isn't worth it for Canadians - yet. Amazon.ca is a joke and ordering off the US website means prohibitive shipping costs - which is pretty much true of ordering from any American company. So while the product is generally cheaper it comes out to be more expensive overall because shipping is so high. And I find that odd given how close most major and minor Canadian towns/cities are to the border and even technically closer to ship to than some American border towns. With the new phone I just bought it was actually cheaper shipping it here from Singapore than places in New York or Illinois. How messed up is that?

That aside, I can see where certain one-off items are a much better way to go because you don't have to pay brick and mortar markup. I agree this is a better way to go overall, but I think we're still a long way off from this being the de-facto way to shop for most people for a lot of reasons.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:56 Luke

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:38:
Facebook wants to be your online bank

Apparently Zuckerberg saw Summer Wars too and liked what he saw.

The scammer needs to earn money now...so

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:44 Sepharo

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:36:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 10:59:
Honestly it seems pretty damn reasonable. I very rarely go over 250GB and when I do it's not by a huge amount. Comcast is going to upgrade that to 300GB... The first three times I go over that there's no charge, and then when I do go over it there's only a $10 charge when I go over by 50GB.

Those are some pretty soft rules and I imagine they're doing so because existing policy would go from being very soft (non-existent) to shutting down your service for egregious and repeat offenses. This is better.

Of course the downside is the precedent itself. As we become more and more data intensive Comcast will have to raise the cap to stay reasonable and that's going to be hard for them to do when they're making more and more off of overages.

Speak for yourself. We're 12 days into July and I'm already at 177GB for the month just from the family streaming video on our Rokus.

Wha? I said the rule change was reasonable... You'd prefer to have your service shut off for going over 250GB instead of a 300GB cap and a three strikes rule that once broken results in a $10 charge for 50GB over (essentially making it a 349GB cap).

If they did decide to charge for increased caps (instead of overages) what do you think would be reasonable? You could pay an extra 5 on your bill for an extra 100GB on your cap? $5 per extra 100GB on contract or $10 per extra 50GB on overages, something like that.

Believe me I don't like caps either, I wish it was all unlimited... I wish it was free fiber for all. But this in my opinion is still an improvement over the previous policy. But like I said the issue is with keeping it reasonable as the average data usage increases.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:39 Beamer

Rhett wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:39:
"Local business" for me consists of Gamestop, Walmart and Best Buy. I'd say good riddance.

I'd agree, but where will our college grads work?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:39 Rhett

"Local business" for me consists of Gamestop, Walmart and Best Buy. I'd say good riddance. Then again, I wouldn't mind a small gaming/hobby store, but there already was one, and they got far too little business to stay around. (Gamestop had moved into town within a year prior).  

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:38 SimplyMonk

Facebook wants to be your online bank

Apparently Zuckerberg saw Summer Wars too and liked what he saw.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo