Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Shakeup Rumor

GameFront reports a rumor that John Riccitiello may be asked to step down as EA CEO soon after the company's July 30th earnings call, to be replaced by Peter Moore, currently EA COO. They say their anonymous source indicates that this still needs to be voted on, and is not set in stone, but that there is a general feeling of tension at the company amid falling share prices. Just yesterday GamesIndustry International noted comments from Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter saying that Riccitiello is worried about getting fired, which Pachter later clarified as "kidding." Thanks Joao and VG247.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 20:03 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 19:59:
After this something tells me that Pachter will start to hear a lot less insider info from EA. Not to mention he made a cardinal sin for an analyst by saying that, he knows markets react wildly to even the slightest of rumor let alone leaking out a personal discussion with a potential for tremendous repercussions.

Holy crap Pachter, not only you're an unreliable, manipulative son of a bitch you're also a fucking incompetent by being the vehicle of this leak. Why Ricitiello didn't fire him on the spot after learning of a private talk getting public by means of the own analyst EA hires is beyond me. Serious ethical breach here and also a serious professional breach as well.

Pachter doesn't work for EA, although it's very likely that he burned some bridges there. Then again, if it is Moore that takes over, that might be water under the bridge, as I don't think he'd be particularly upset that a loose-lipped analyst forced EA's hand in dumping Riccitiello.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:59 ASeven

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 19:55:
which Pachter later clarified as "kidding."

Uh huh...

After this something tells me that Pachter will start to hear a lot less insider info from EA. Not to mention he made a cardinal sin for an analyst by saying that, he knows markets react wildly to even the slightest of rumor let alone leaking out a personal discussion with a potential for tremendous repercussions.

Holy crap Pachter, not only you're an unreliable, manipulative son of a bitch you're also a fucking incompetent by being the vehicle of this leak. Why Ricitiello didn't fire him on the spot after learning of a private talk getting public by means of the own analyst EA hires is beyond me. Serious ethical breach here and also a serious professional breach as well.

9. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:56 ASeven

With a loss of market capitalization of over $2B in a period of less than 6 months, yeah, I can see the investors wanting to kick him out for good.  

8. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:55 nin

which Pachter later clarified as "kidding."

Uh huh...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:53 coolkev99

Anonymous source indicates the company will still remain evil.  

6. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:23 wtf_man

Don't force me to sign up for Origin.
Don't put ridiculous DRM on PC Games.
Don't make shitty console ports for the PC.

... And I'll start buying EA games again.

/shrug

5. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:22 Bhruic

I'd like to think this is good news, but companies with declining earnings don't tend to start taking more risks, they start taking less. I don't expect a change in CEO to really affect that at all.

I can only hope that the major players will look at the success some indies are having, and try to emulate them (badly, most likely).

4. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:21 SimplyMonk

Ouch. A lot of a CEO's power is in their image and confidence. Talking with Pachter and saying something like that is almost asking for confidence in you to dwindle and cost you your job. Certainly doesn't help boost your stock.  

3. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:19 killer_roach

Wouldn't come as a surprise to me. EA is still profitable, but earnings have been moving in the wrong direction for a couple of years now and they face considerable downmarket pressures. It wouldn't come as much of a surprise if Riccitiello was asked to fall on his sword and get someone else in charge.

On the bright side for EA, some of those downmarket threats (most notably Zynga) are starting to flail about in search of earnings growth and are becoming victims of their own overly aggressive strategies. It's looking more and more like the middle ground is becoming increasingly perilous for players in the field, and we may see gaming end up with a corporate structure not unlike film, with a handful of large, risk averse players at the top and a series of small, agile, and largely ephemeral players on the periphery of the market, taking advantage of emerging trends that the major names can't afford to risk getting into themselves at the time being.

2. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:17 Saboth

I find that not locking down your products and instead offering them on as many platforms, software versions and distribution channels helps business.  

1. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:16 baltar

Karma.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo