Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website announces the launch of the Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial, which will allow everyone the chance to sample BioWare's MMORPG (thanks durandal). Word is you can progress up to level 15 without taking your wallet our of your pocket. Here's word:

Today we are excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free Trial*. Now you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players up to level 15 with no charge or time limit! The Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial allows individuals, without a previously active Star Wars: The Old Republic game account, to see a portion of what the game has to offer with no payment method required.

Free Trial participants will experience the opening adventures of each of the eight character classes in the game. Players will explore their classes' Origin World, and may even have the opportunity to visit their faction’s Capital World! Additionally, Free Trial players will have the chance to face off against other players in Player-vs.-Player Warzones, or join up with friends and play through a Flashpoint.

Players who have previously participated in one of the Weekend Pass Free Trials or the Friends of Star Wars: The Old Republic Trial are also eligible to join this new free trial!

Visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/trial to create your account, download the game, and begin your free trial experience! Have questions? Visit the Free Trial FAQ for more details.

Be sure to check back to www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com, as well as our Facebook and Twitter for all the latest updates!

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 14, 2012, 01:28 Ant

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 23:54:
Release a single player KOTOR3 and we can talk deal.
And it has to be good unlike KOTOR2!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 12, 2012, 17:10 KS

dumpy wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 05:33:
I'm not interested in buying it, but I wouldn't mind to give it a try. How large is the trial client? Do I get to fry people with lightening?

Yes, actually. Jedi-qua-casters are fine. Most of the non-force classes are fine. But the core Jedi/Sith melee is good ol' mmo idiocy of an offensively neutered tank holding not the most fearsome melee weapon in fiction, but something that's scarcely more damaging than one of those fake sabers from Toys-R-Us.

And at level 20 or so (forget) you have the honor of paying $48,000 for a 0.1 horsepower minibike that can't quite even double your speed. Very WoW-like.

They also cloned WoW's tripartite upgrade tree. Remember WoW builds described like 31/8/12? Get used to it here.

Ciy of Heroes has wonderful, high-speed, true 3D travel at level 14 for cheap, i.e. free. By level 50 the slowest, flight, is pushing 60 MPH, and my blaster, who doesn't have super speed, runs around (not using HST) at a normal pace of 38 MPH.

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 12, 2012, 16:54 KS

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 18:44:
Bloodied and wounded, leaking subs like a firehose, they have now turned to the 'drug dealer approach' of marketing.. giving away enough of the product to likely hook the user and then rake in the $$ $$ $$, baby!

6 months after launch. Didn't see this one coming, lol.

If it were even remotely addictive, they wouldn't have reached this point for at least two years.

Nah, they're gonna move to the movies' concession stand model, making money from selling popcorn and drinks. The little curio shop at the museum, selling books, gyroscopes, and those lil' things that go moo when you flip them over.

Tera has been doing this since day 1 in early May. And it has a lot more staying power by my feeling.

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 12, 2012, 08:03 LgFriess

Don't forget the joy of "dailies" at end game. Next game that offers daily quests as a viable end game mechanic should be burned. Talk about taking the fun out of your game.

I put 4-5 months into it. It WAS fun the first time leveling and getting into your characters story (you'll like it to that point if you're into mmo's at all). Then I really, realllly tried to enjoy raiding with a good guild. As usual with a game like this, the guild was the only reason I stayed so long. Good people to play with will provide entertainment where the actual game fails.

Tried to level a second character, and of course you're just repeating the same 'ole quests and small, uninteresting worlds over and over. Did I mention dailies?! Ugh. Raiding quickly became boring and there are just so many other interesting games to play. Even F2P will only keep your interest for a few months. It really is just WoW all over... but not as good.

So much potential with the IP. The theme park WoW clones need to go. Bring on some polished sandbox please! I think gamers are ready for it.

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 12, 2012, 05:33 dumpy

I'm not interested in buying it, but I wouldn't mind to give it a try. How large is the trial client? Do I get to fry people with lightening?  

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 12, 2012, 04:19 Jonny

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:11:
One thing I've never mentioned in my tiny rants about TOR.. the length of time it took to run place to place and the amount of backtracking I had to do on my main quest line. The game would make me physically run back from the furthest reaches of a map, to the main area.. then to my homeworld, to the furthest reaches of that place.. to talk to a guy to get 10 seconds worth of audio and then to be sent RIGHT GOD DAMN BACK from where I came.

That sort of stuff infuriates me

I've resubbed for a month to try out the latest couple of patches, they've bandaged that glaringly stupid idea by giving you a gizmo that teleports you straight there and then another that teleports you back again. It's a shoddy solution for a daft concept, that people wouldn't notice blatantly cynical time sinks, but at least it cuts out 20 minutes of slogging slowly about.

I got a Smuggler up to 30, my first ever Republic character, and then got fed up with the sanctimonious Republic waffle so I returned to the Empire. Managed ny Inquisitor class quests on Hoth before being seriously underleveled for any more class quests and having no inclination to mindlessly PvP for shitty amounts of xp, run those horrendous space missions or do the dozens of "kill x, collect y" quests lifted straight from vanilla WoW on each world to level up, I've unsubbed again.

Also, no, Bioware, fully voiced mindless grind quests are not a selling point. In fact I think they may be worse than a text box because they're easier to remember from play to play and thus make alt leveling even more of an exercise in hellish repetition.

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 12, 2012, 03:53 ShakaUVM

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:11:
One thing I've never mentioned in my tiny rants about TOR.. the length of time it took to run place to place and the amount of backtracking I had to do on my main quest line. The game would make me physically run back from the furthest reaches of a map, to the main area.. then to my homeworld, to the furthest reaches of that place.. to talk to a guy to get 10 seconds worth of audio and then to be sent RIGHT GOD DAMN BACK from where I came.

I can't put my finger on any one reason I quit that game as there are many.. but i know when I hit 50..and even with the opportunity to raid, I was just done with the game.

Ditto. Even with a mount, you craaaawwwwllll across the terrain. Seemed like they put it in just to waste our time.

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 23:54 NegaDeath

Release a single player KOTOR3 and we can talk deal.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 21:53 Rigs

So...the game isn't like the snazzy cutscenes?

Shocked, I am...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 20:11 ColoradoHoudini

I can't put my finger on any one reason I quit that game as there are many.. but i know when I hit 50..and even with the opportunity to raid, I was just done with the game.

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 20:06 coolkev99

Asmo wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 18:27:
Just ridiculous how much potential that game had and how badly it fell short...

Interesting, I thought the same thing about SW Galaxies.

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 20:03 coolkev99

Never even considered trying this game after watching some of the snooze-fest gameplay videos.

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 19:22 Steele Johnson

I'm not even interested in playing this for free... and I used to love mmos!!  

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 19:21 Saboth

Meh, even at free it's overpriced. I feel like I actually lose money when I play. The physical time sinks are palpable. A wall after every door. Trails that lead to dead ends. Cliffs that span an entire zone, forcing you to walk around. Airlocks between space stations. I figure I spent 25% of my time actually doing fun stuff and 75% running from zone to zone. Eventually I just gave up and did pvp, which got very old very fast with 3 tiny uninspired zones over and over. I expect that from EQ1: you don't even have mounts. Not from a game 15+ years later that is based off of lore where everyone has jet packs, speeder bikes that do 300 mph and spaceships with warp drives.  

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 18:44 Mordecai Walfish

Bloodied and wounded, leaking subs like a firehose, they have now turned to the 'drug dealer approach' of marketing.. giving away enough of the product to likely hook the user and then rake in the $$ $$ $$, baby!

6 months after launch. Didn't see this one coming, lol.

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 18:27 Asmo

Got the 'come back' email yesterday, played for about 30 mins, logged out, probably not going back...

Just ridiculous how much potential that game had and how badly it fell short...

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 17:55 wtf_man

*IF* 300 Million is accurate for development costs... 500 million wouldn't be all that far fetched for marketing plus, what, 7 months of operational costs?

Even if it was 150 Million for Development and 100 million for Marketing and 7 months of Operational costs... they are still pretty short short of breaking even (1.5 Million Box sales at $50 and 1 million subs for like 2 months average... comes out to around 180 Million, - not counting anything retail stores took out of the $50 per box for profit margin, since we don't know how much was retail vs. download)

So at best, they're like 70 Million short of breaking even... EVEN with the "low ball" costs assumed. It's probably much worse than that.

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:28:
I'm not sure that something called "blogs.bettor.com" is a reliable source of information.

Creston

How about GamesRadar.com?
Games Radar Article

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 18:09.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 17:29 Sempai

I received a scroll of resurrection(WoW 7-days free)from a friend, they even boosted a toon to 80 for free, i lasted a day before becoming bored again with that treadmill.

I enjoy Swtor, but the company running it is the worst excuse of a team of humans i've ever experienced in the industry.

I'm ready for something new, truly new, not a wow clone.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 16:36 ASeven

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:28:
ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 10:39:
I want to point this article to everyone.

According to it, the game cost $500M.

That's HALF A BILLION FUCKING DOLLARS,

Holy fucking shit.

I'm not sure that something called "blogs.bettor.com" is a reliable source of information.

Oh yes true but remember, it's EA. With all the marketing, the voice actors, paying George Lucas, the insanely long development time for the game... it's not really that far fetched to reach that number.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 16:35 JohnnyRotten

Please bump our subs up so I don't get fired after the next quarterly review.

Signed,
Not John Riccitiello

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo