Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Silver Age Batman Game Plans?

Variety has word on what's going on at DC Entertainment, saying Rocksteady's follow up to Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City will be a look back at the Silver Age of the 1950s: "New, highly stylized title is being developed as a prequel that revolves around Batman's first meeting with the Joker. It's based on the Silver Age of DC's comicbooks from the 1950s when the Caped Crusader teamed with other heroes like Superman and founded the Justice League of America." Thanks VG247.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 13, 2012, 01:31 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 17:07:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I was only a moderate comic book nerd growing up), but aren't the recent Batman Arkham games (Asylum and City) basically "silver age" style games? He started out a dark and brooding character - it was only the TV show and the later comics that lightened him up a bit...

The Silver Age ended in the 70's. The Arkham games reflect the Modern Age of Batman and are appropriately dark and gritty.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 12, 2012, 17:07 Prez

Correct me if I'm wrong (I was only a moderate comic book nerd growing up), but aren't the recent Batman Arkham games (Asylum and City) basically "silver age" style games? He started out a dark and brooding character - it was only the TV show and the later comics that lightened him up a bit...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 12, 2012, 09:59 Sepharo

I think timeless or fucking fictional works better than immortal.

I really haven't seen more than 3 or 4 episodes but I would love to see Rocksteady's take on Batman Beyond as Zaibach mentioned. The caped crusader is already usually high tech and futuristic but it would be fun for him to be even moreso and have the plot in the future... get all deus exxy with it.

23. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 12, 2012, 04:53 Jerykk

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 03:51:
Ahh....did i miss something where he got super powers? I thought he just inherited a lotta money from his dead parents

Immortality isn't a super power when it comes to superheroes. It just comes with the job. Even if you get killed, you'll inevitably come back to life through some convoluted/nonsensical plot twist.

22. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 12, 2012, 03:51 dj LiTh

Ahh....did i miss something where he got super powers? I thought he just inherited a lotta money from his dead parents  

21. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 12, 2012, 03:04 Jerykk

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:05:
Um...1950's....prequal....can someone explain to me how old batman is in the current games ffs?

Batman is immortal. As is Superman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Wonder Woman and every other superhero that never ages. I thought this was already established.

20. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 20:47 Ashley

That explains Skip's voice

The guy works a ton. I'm always surprised when people say he needs more work.

Larry 3000 is still my favorite.

BRING BACK TIME SQUAD

Oh, and I'm stoked about silver age Batman. Hope they do it right. Stylized and badass.

19. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 20:08 Rhino

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:16:
Trevellian wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:15:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:10:
Trevellian wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 10:57:
He said that but it obviously was not the last time. He has too much fun with it. After Arkham City he once again did the voice for the new DC Online Expansion pack that came out last month or whatever.

This doesn't bother me one bit honestly. It's definitely a cool era to visit. And as long as Rocksteady is making, I'm buying.

Check his twitter, or if you prefer use Google, he is done. He is also no longer under contract. It was physically hurting his vocal cords to do the voice was one reason he gave, which seems like a fairly legit reason to quit a job even if you like it.

I also think that he got a bit expensive for the powers that be...but that is just me.

Oh no, damaging his vocal cords. Cause he has so much else going for his career. hahahaha.

He does voice acting. That's his bread these days...

That and if he really wants money then he can just turn up at a convention for a signing. Those autographs aren't cheap: Nimoy's are $75 each, as an example.

18. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 20:05 dj LiTh

Um...1950's....prequal....can someone explain to me how old batman is in the current games ffs?  

17. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 18:41 Zaibach

I want to play as Terry McGinnis with the old and grumpy Bruce Wayne at my side.  

16. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 17:51 Trevellian

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:49:
I love this. I'd like to see A) more quality superhero games B) silver age stuff. I was always big into silver age Flash and Sub-Mariner as a kid.

Rocksteady has done phenominal so far with Batman games. I'd love to see them tackle a Superman game, maybe they could actually do him some justice since no one else has seemed to *cough cough Superman 64*

What I loved about City too was the ability to play as Nightwing, Robin and Catwoman and they actually all felt somewhat different. They could very easily I think do a proper Justice League style game if they were given the right to do so.

I am curious though if Rocksteady will survive if they leave their element. Yes they make great Batman games, but they are super Batman fanboys... what happens if they're allowed to create their own IP? Will it be as good?

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

15. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 13:49 Cutter

I love this. I'd like to see A) more quality superhero games B) silver age stuff. I was always big into silver age Flash and Sub-Mariner as a kid.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 13:23 nin

Oh and 2014 at the earliest = next gen console launch title

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:45 Elf Shot The Food

They should do the Adam West era instead.  

12. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:40 El Pit

I am absolutely stoked for more Batman by Rocksteady. I am 30 hrs into Arkham City, and it's great fun! Again, Rocksteady succeeded in making the port perfectly playable with kb/m. Great job, and I want MORE!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

11. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:39 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:20:
What was the DC version of 'What If?'? Was it Borderworlds? There were some great stories told with it involving 'The Bat'.

Elseworlds, I believe.

10. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:20 The Half Elf

What was the DC version of 'What If?'? Was it Borderworlds? There were some great stories told with it involving 'The Bat'.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:16 nin

Trevellian wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:15:
He said that but it obviously was not the last time. He has too much fun with it. After Arkham City he once again did the voice for the new DC Online Expansion pack that came out last month or whatever.

This doesn't bother me one bit honestly. It's definitely a cool era to visit. And as long as Rocksteady is making, I'm buying.

Check his twitter, or if you prefer use Google, he is done. He is also no longer under contract. It was physically hurting his vocal cords to do the voice was one reason he gave, which seems like a fairly legit reason to quit a job even if you like it.

I also think that he got a bit expensive for the powers that be...but that is just me.

Oh no, damaging his vocal cords. Cause he has so much else going for his career. hahahaha.

He does voice acting. That's his bread these days...

8. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:15 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

7. Re: Silver Age Batman Game Plans? Jul 11, 2012, 12:12 Spektr

I agree that the Arkham franchise has been sitting pretty over the heap of average over hyped crap we have been served for the past few years.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo