Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears

It's announcement of an announcement time, as Computer and Video Games has word that BioWare is preparing to unveil a new free-to-play game tomorrow, saying this was confirmed by studio general manager, Eugene Evans. They express suspicions this may be based on a classic EA franchise, but do not explain the reason for this hypothesis.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 12, 2012, 10:30 Kawlisse

w00tie wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 11:13:
Bopper wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 10:35:
R.I.P Bioware

Anyone ever played any F2P game that was actually good? That isn't World of Tanks?

Ummm...Ghost Recon Online? Blacklight? APB? Team Fortress?

World of tanks is decent but unfair ... if you pay you have way too many advantages. never tried ghost recon online, APB sucks and team fortress I paid for the damn thing when it came out ...

MMO's that are F2P, have too many limitations, 2gold limit for AoC (I think) and dont get me started on Lotro (F2P my ass)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 12, 2012, 09:31 HorrorScope

R.I.P Bioware

Anyone ever played any F2P game that was actually good? That isn't World of Tanks?

DDO
Dragon Nest decent
LOTRO ok

22. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 12, 2012, 04:48 Jerykk

http://ultimaforever.com/

That's the new game. An action-RPG where your roleplaying choices consist of fighter or mage.

I don't understand why EA keeps tarnishing the Ultima brand. First Lords of Ultima, now this. If they actually put some resources into the franchise, they might be able compete in the sandbox RPG market and give Elder Scrolls a run for its money.

21. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 12, 2012, 04:13 winnetou

This might just leave everyone underwhelmed by being the beta->release announcement for Wrath of Heroes, based on Warhammer (assuming they dare to consider that a classic).  

20. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 22:30 XiaKangkai

For myself I believe that this project has a few good things going for it - Ultima is a pretty cool franchise and could make for a goog game if it`s anything of the scope of Ultima VII (even without Lord British involved), and Creative Director of BioWare Mythic is Paul Barnett who happens to be an interesting individual, go listen to the bombcast e32012-paulbarnett. Cheers  

19. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 20:15 ColoradoHoudini

Have we, as educated gamers (most of us veterans here span 1-2 decades of highly-knowledgeable online PC gaming experience) been wrong in the majority about what will happen to a dev house once they make "large change X"?

Everything all of us here predicted over the years, has sadly come true...and not for the betterment of the franchise/title/studio

Makes me wonder if the wallets backing these studios need to hear from us somehow.

18. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 18:34 Fletch

When's the bake sale?  

17. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 17:54 Fion

Bioware has gone the way of Blizzard these last several years. I'm not very hyped for this announcement where as a half decade ago I would have been freaking out wondering what it was.

I'm calling a Moba. It's the new WoW, so everyone and their mother will be jumping into them.

16. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 15:38 Verno

This is "Bioware" Mythic fellas W00t  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

15. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 15:28 Draugr

Browser game, calling it now!  

14. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 15:18 RollinThundr

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:39:
Don't worry guys. EA buying Bioware will have no effect on the company!

To be fair and honest really, Bioware was headed down the road of mediocrity before EA bought them. You can only remake the same game over and over and just change a few characters around or elements before it starts to get stale.

13. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 14:10 Verno

I think it's going to be an Ultima title BTW, its the same studio who was assigned that IP awhile ago.  

12. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 13:03 El Pit

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:39:

Yes. Like Blizzard selling out to Activision or id Software to Zenimax. Please move on, everything is fine, nothing to see here.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

11. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 12:39 Beelzebud

10. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 12:26 The Half Elf

R.I.P Bioware

No shit!

*starts heading for the life rafts while putting on his swimmies and goggles*

Honestly, Champions Online and Star Trek Online are both very solid F2P (REALLY pay 2 win).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 12:07 Verno

I don't have a lot of faith in a Bioware titled backed by EA to do F2P very well. The Mass Effect 3 MP is a big reason why, they did a gamble style thing with item packs that just felt really sleazy to me.  

8. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 11:59 KilrathiAce

another f2p crap, its one thing for ea to totally ruin bioware and its games over past few years but now its going to hit new low with f2p stuff.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

7. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 11:46 Jivaro

R.I.P Bioware

Seriously? Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeon and Dragons Online, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Tribes...

You may not like it, or even have a personal dislike for those particular games, but they are examples of quality productions that a huge population of gamers play and enjoy. The whole "F2P = Games that suck" thing is about as old and used as "cool story bro" and "gnarly man".

Of course, that said.....Bioware is on the decline and any announcement they make should be looked at with a very cynical eye. Not because it is F2P, but because it is EA and Bioware.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 12:16.

6. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 11:13 w00tie

R.I.P Bioware

Ummm...Ghost Recon Online? Blacklight? APB? Team Fortress?

5. Re: New BioWare F2P Announcement Nears Jul 11, 2012, 11:08 Fantaz

Skyrim Online F2P?  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo