Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy 7/11, and oh thank heaven, as that makes this 7-Eleven Day, which means those conveniently close to one of those convenience stores can get a free Slurpee out of the deal. We fall into the category, as there's one just a couple of miles away, but in spite of talking about it before, this is the first year I am particularly tempted to take advantage of this, as we were coincidentally there last week, and I really enjoyed the Slurpee I had at that time (I didn't grow up on these, as there were no 7-Eleven's in Brooklyn when I was a kid).

To follow up, Jim Carrey came yesterday and fixed my cable connection... it turned out to be from water damage to the wiring outside. The neat thing is I'm experiencing a 20% boost in downstream bandwidth following the new modem and wire repairs. The other neat thing is that at no point did anyone on their end presume I might have been the victim of that DNS changer malware: Though my outage began the day that overstated threat was to hit, it was obvious to me this wasn't my problem, and thankfully it was to them as well.

7/11 Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Robots vs. Zombies 2.
Castle Survive.
Stories: Tigers kill man who scaled fence at Danish zoo.
Shipwrecked cruise liner's captain admits distraction, says destiny played role in crash.
This is how my friend and his friends queue for DOTA 2.
Media: What is Doom Remix.
Spider-Man: The Original Trilogy Summed Up in 6 Minutes.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 23:44 Mr. Tact

Haha! Ok, maybe I deserved that.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 21:54 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 19:07:
If only I had indicated I had found yesterday's comments...

What, read the whole thread before posting? That makes too much sense!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 19:07 Mr. Tact

If only I had indicated I had found yesterday's comments...  

14. Re: Kickstarter gone crazy... Jul 11, 2012, 18:50 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:13:
Check out this Kickstarter for Ouya:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Pretty damn cool -- I think this might be the first Kickstarter I give money to -- guess I'm running a day behind, already being talked about elsewhere. Search? What is that?

Here's the thread from yesterday.

13. Re: System Power Draw App Jul 11, 2012, 18:48 jdreyer

eunichron wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 15:54:
Off-topic from anything here but maybe someone will know...

There is a program that lets you input your PC hardware and it will tell you how much power is required to run it, for choosing a PSU. Anyone remember what it is? I had it several months ago but can't remember the name. I was just about to order some upgrades along with a new PSU, and I want to make sure that I get one powerful enough for my project.

Nevermind! Found it. This is what I was looking for; http://psucalc.net/

Just like not maxing out your hard drive, you'll want to have plenty of overhead for your new PC. If you're going to use 300 watts of power, get a 500-600 watt PSU, for example.

12. Re: Kickstarter gone crazy... Jul 11, 2012, 17:10 Mr. Tact

Yeah, a bit of digging has reduced my initial enthusiasm, but there is potential. Maybe I won't contribute, especially since they already have enough -- but it certainly will be interesting to see what happens with it.  

11. Re: Kickstarter gone crazy... Jul 11, 2012, 16:44 nin

I wouldn't call it a scam, but I'm doubtful it's going to be much of a hit for gaming. If people are buying it to tear apart and mod, have fun. But as a game console, I'm skeptical...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Kickstarter gone crazy... Jul 11, 2012, 16:38 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:13:

Pretty damn cool -- I think this might be the first Kickstarter I give money to -- guess I'm running a day behind, already being talked about elsewhere. Search? What is that?

Check the posts from yesterday. It's unclear if this is a scam though it sounds like it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Kickstarter gone crazy... Jul 11, 2012, 16:13 Mr. Tact

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 16:29.

8. Re: System Power Draw App Jul 11, 2012, 15:55 nin

There is a program that lets you input your PC hardware and it will tell you how much power is required to run it, for choosing a PSU.

I'd be curious as well. Sounds like it'd be handy to have.

7. System Power Draw App Jul 11, 2012, 15:54 eunichron

Off-topic from anything here but maybe someone will know...

There is a program that lets you input your PC hardware and it will tell you how much power is required to run it, for choosing a PSU. Anyone remember what it is? I had it several months ago but can't remember the name. I was just about to order some upgrades along with a new PSU, and I want to make sure that I get one powerful enough for my project.

Nevermind! Found it. This is what I was looking for; http://psucalc.net/

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 16:08.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 14:45 nin

Tigers kill man who scaled fence at Danish zoo.

I think we need to change the headline to "Tigers defend zoo from attacker, hailed as heroes."

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 14:33 Cutter

I want a 20% boost on my DSL line! :-fume-:

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 11:13 Leper

The neat thing is I'm experiencing a 20% boost in downstream bandwidth following the new modem and wire repairs.

A similar thing happened to me with some repairs on my DSL line last month. I had an downstream increase of about 80% in addition to no more connectivity issues.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 11:12 kanniballl

-EDIT-

Removed by poster, was silly to waste 2 posts on it.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 11:42.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 11:06 nin

At least it wasn't Fire Marshal Bill...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 10:52 kanniballl

Cool, did he take you to Medieval Times afterwards and challenge you to Vulcan fight to the death?

That was one messed up movie.

Though I guess that explains what happened to me yesterday.

My cable and internet cut out until this morning. Blue's new friend must have reached the end of the film and landed on the satellite dish... thus robbing me of my TV.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 11:42.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo