Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Source Filmmaker Open Beta

Valve announces the Source Filmmaker is now in open beta, offering everyone the chance to try their hand at machinima production. Word is:

Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the open beta release of Source Filmmaker (SFM), for free, to everyone.

The SFM is a storytelling tool Valve developed inside the Source Engine to create all its animated short films, including those in the "Meet the Team" series of Team Fortress 2 shorts. The SFM condenses the production pipeline of an animation studio down onto a single gaming PC. To help the community get started, the SFM includes all assets from Team Fortress 2 along with assets from two of the "Meet the Team" short films.

To see the newest and top-rated work being done by the community in the SFM, please visit www.steamcommunity.com/sfm.

For more information and to download the SFM, please visit www.sourcefilmmaker.com

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 20:21 Dev

eunichron wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 17:09:
I was wrong, Valve are the saviors of PC gaming!
Actually, they have been. Steam revolutionized the way games were distributed and opened the door for indies to get lots of market exposure as well.

Without steam and digital distribution of PC games, I think PC games would truly be the dead thing that many people keep claiming they are. MS certainly hasn't done much to keep it alive.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 19:25 Krovven

You have absolutely nothing of substance because it was a stupid argument in the first place, so all you can do is resort to calling me a fanboy. Got it.

19. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 17:09 eunichron

Krovven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:13:
/facepalm. I don't think you know what IP (Intellectual Property) even means.

Narbacular Drop is an Intellectual Property. Portal is an IP. Left 4 Dead is an IP. Counter-Strike is an IP. Half-Life is an IP. These are all ORIGINAL IP's based on other game concepts.

Very little in the industry at this point is actually "original".

Your CoD example is like saying Half-Life isn't an original IP because it's a first-person shooter, and wasn't the first.

Basically at this point you are grasping at anything to support your weak argument, and you just look dumb doing it.

Companies hire people to get their creations. Sometimes they have already created something before hired, sometimes after, sometimes it's just a proof-of-concept when hired, etc. Narbacular Drop was a STUDENT project, not made by a company. They hired those students to expand on their ideas, while incorporating some of their experienced existing staff into the design process.

TF guys were just random guys, not a company, that were all hired by Valve. Counter-Strike & DoDs same thing. Turtle Rock was absorbed by Valve after years of just making stuff for Valve anyways.

So no, they are not like EA at all. They don't buy out companies then shut them down 6 months to a couple years later. Valve has NEVER done that.

So why fault a good company for hiring talented people and allowing those people to make a great living off their ideas?

I had no idea you were as much a Valve fanboy as you were a Blizzard fanboy.

I was wrong, Valve are the saviors of PC gaming!

18. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 16:56 Undead Scottsman

It appears we were discussing different things in regards to "original IP." IMO, a second expansion to a sequel to a game released in 1998 is not an original IP. It's a new game in an established IP. But it doesn't appear that is an assessment you agree with so that argument in a moot point I guess.

But getting back to Narbacular Drop: It shares a core mechanic with Portal. That doesn't equate to an IP. Portal was developed BY VALVE. The Narbacular Team were VALVE EMPLOYEES when the game was made, and they were FAR from the only people who worked on that title. The level design, the artwork, the puzzles, the voice acting, the dialog, the story, pretty much every single thing that made Portal a game beyond that basic mechanic was an original creation at Valve. It's an original Valve IP. Sharing a core mechanic from a tech demo made outside the company doesn't affect whether or not it's an original Valve IP.

17. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 16:13 Krovven

/facepalm. I don't think you know what IP (Intellectual Property) even means.

Narbacular Drop is an Intellectual Property. Portal is an IP. Left 4 Dead is an IP. Counter-Strike is an IP. Half-Life is an IP. These are all ORIGINAL IP's based on other game concepts.

Very little in the industry at this point is actually "original".

Your CoD example is like saying Half-Life isn't an original IP because it's a first-person shooter, and wasn't the first.

Basically at this point you are grasping at anything to support your weak argument, and you just look dumb doing it.

Companies hire people to get their creations. Sometimes they have already created something before hired, sometimes after, sometimes it's just a proof-of-concept when hired, etc. Narbacular Drop was a STUDENT project, not made by a company. They hired those students to expand on their ideas, while incorporating some of their experienced existing staff into the design process.

TF guys were just random guys, not a company, that were all hired by Valve. Counter-Strike & DoDs same thing. Turtle Rock was absorbed by Valve after years of just making stuff for Valve anyways.

So no, they are not like EA at all. They don't buy out companies then shut them down 6 months to a couple years later. Valve has NEVER done that.

So why fault a good company for hiring talented people and allowing those people to make a great living off their ideas?

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 16:38.

16. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 13:42 eunichron

Undead Scottsman wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:25:
"For the record" YOU are the one who brought up the metric of Portal being their most recent new IP, not me. Either it counts as a new IP or it doesn't: you can't have it both ways.

Although, to be fully honest, your stance on it's origin is pretty wrong. Narbacular Drop is not Portal. It shares none of the setting, characters, story or advanced mechanics of the Portal games, all of which were developed internally at Valve by Valve staff on Valve's payroll for Valve's use, It just shares a mechanic and nothing more.

And again, make up your mind: Do they need to make new IP's to be a real game company or do they need to put out a sequel to the game series that YOU happen to like, which is for some arbitrary reason immune to this "no new ip's means you're hardly a game company" thing.

Uh, no. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was also released in 2007, their last release of an original IP that I was referring to, and Valve bought out the entire development team that made Narbacular Drop, who then made Portal under the Valve name. If you have seen or played Narbacular Drop in any form the similarities should be obvious. To say that they're not the same is like saying CoD4 and CoD3 aren't the same just because CoD4 has a modern setting.

What Valve does is absolutely no different from what EA does; buy out development teams to make games for them. So I will reiterate, Valve is not a game company, they are a publisher and service provider (Steam), and considering that they had originally announced that Half-Life 2 would be a four part game (the core release plus three episodes), it is still a dick move of them to withhold the rest of the series without explaining why.

Before you come back and say that "Episode 3 was never officially announced so it doesn't count," it was; Here, in 2006.

15. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 13:25 Undead Scottsman

"For the record" YOU are the one who brought up the metric of Portal being their most recent new IP, not me. Either it counts as a new IP or it doesn't: you can't have it both ways.

Although, to be fully honest, your stance on it's origin is pretty wrong. Narbacular Drop is not Portal. It shares none of the setting, characters, story or advanced mechanics of the Portal games, all of which were developed internally at Valve by Valve staff on Valve's payroll for Valve's use, It just shares a mechanic and nothing more.

And again, make up your mind: Do they need to make new IP's to be a real game company or do they need to put out a sequel to the game series that YOU happen to like, which is for some arbitrary reason immune to this "no new ip's means you're hardly a game company" thing.

14. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 07:32 Beamer

Also, has anyone compared Filmmaker to Unreal Matinee yet?
Matinee is super easy to use, I'm wondering how much easier this is.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 07:27 Beamer

eunichron wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 04:54:
Undead Scottsman wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 04:21:
Wait... You say they're not a gaming company because they haven't made a new IP since 2007 and then say it's a douche move they haven't put out a particular sequel?

Also, Valve was never big on 'new IP.' After Half-Life and all the way to Portal, the only new IP they released, that wasn't a new version of a preexisting mod, was Ricochet in 2000. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, and Day of Defeat all existed prior to Valve acquiring them, and all of Valve's other releases were either NEWER versions of those mods (CS/DoD: Source) or new Half-Life sequels/addons (HL2, Ep1). It wasn't until Portal in 2007 that they put out a new, full IP that wasn't a two level tech demo.

Yes that is what I said. What is hard to understand about it? They abandoned their only original IP without finishing it, and without any confirmation that they either A.) Are working on Episode 3 (or Half-Life 3, I think it's pretty obvious that releasing Episode 3 at this point is inconceivable), or B.) Have given up on making original games of their own and instead prefer to focus on buying out/publishing mod/indie teams and improving the Steam platform.

For the record Portal is not original either. It started out as an indie release, bought out by Valve, and re-imagined as Portal. The setting changed between games, but the basic design and mechanics are essentially the same.

They abandoned nothing (except likely episodic releases), only an idiot needs confirmation of that, and you're the exact type of "fan" no one wants to have.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 06:24 dj LiTh

Valve sucks  

11. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 06:22 Dev

eunichron wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 03:02:
Not when Jason Holtman is saying, "We hardly make anything anymore." source.

Yes, I understand the quote in context is in reference to TF2, but when you consider that Valve hasn't released an original IP since 2007, I would hardly call them a game company. They're more of a publisher and tools-provider at this point.
I don't care much if they do original IP or not, but the reason they are so slow in game development is their entire company's work philosophy.

But you know what? They don't NEED any money from developing games. They could just focus on steam from now on and forget any more games and still make tons of money. Their steam income dwarfs any they get from actual valve game sales.

Anyway, thats one reason why I think they should start outsourcing some of their game development. They don't have enough employees to do what they want to do right now as it is.

10. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 04:54 eunichron

Undead Scottsman wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 04:21:
Wait... You say they're not a gaming company because they haven't made a new IP since 2007 and then say it's a douche move they haven't put out a particular sequel?

Also, Valve was never big on 'new IP.' After Half-Life and all the way to Portal, the only new IP they released, that wasn't a new version of a preexisting mod, was Ricochet in 2000. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, and Day of Defeat all existed prior to Valve acquiring them, and all of Valve's other releases were either NEWER versions of those mods (CS/DoD: Source) or new Half-Life sequels/addons (HL2, Ep1). It wasn't until Portal in 2007 that they put out a new, full IP that wasn't a two level tech demo.

Yes that is what I said. What is hard to understand about it? They abandoned their only original IP without finishing it, and without any confirmation that they either A.) Are working on Episode 3 (or Half-Life 3, I think it's pretty obvious that releasing Episode 3 at this point is inconceivable), or B.) Have given up on making original games of their own and instead prefer to focus on buying out/publishing mod/indie teams and improving the Steam platform.

For the record Portal is not original either. It started out as an indie release, bought out by Valve, and re-imagined as Portal. The setting changed between games, but the basic design and mechanics are essentially the same.

9. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 04:21 Undead Scottsman

8. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 03:02 eunichron

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 02:40:
Valve: Great game company, or greatest game company?

Not when Jason Holtman is saying, "We hardly make anything anymore." source.

Yes, I understand the quote in context is in reference to TF2, but when you consider that Valve hasn't released an original IP since 2007, I would hardly call them a game company. They're more of a publisher and tools-provider at this point. Hell, they're pretty good at it, but it's a pretty douche move to just drop the game that made them successful at a cliffhanger in the series.

7. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 02:53 theyarecomingforyou

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 23:31:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=81259411

Valve just released a revolution in machinima, hell filmmaking, for free.
That's awesome. Honestly, I imagine there will be some amazing stuff coming from the community.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

6. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 02:40 Beelzebud

Valve: Great game company, or greatest game company?  

5. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 02:32 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 23:31:
Thats what I've been saying since they announced it. I totally agree.

4. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 10, 2012, 23:31 Sepharo

Looks like people already have the DOTA2 models working in it.

edit: Oh and... are you kidding me?http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=81259411

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 23:36.

3. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 10, 2012, 22:54 Cutter

How HL2:EP3 will end.

Lulz.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 10, 2012, 21:28 deqer

the people that already make videos using unofficial methods are going to have a blast with this software. just imagine what they'll come up with.

that www.steamcommunity.com/sfm is going to get a lot of hits. already 859 videos submitted.

here is a gem example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80809183&searchtext= lol

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo