Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 19, 2012, 13:58 mag

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 14:31:
mag wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:21:
space captain wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:26:
as if the modern american "yoga" has anything to do with what Patanjali was talking about.. these idiots are fooling themselves if they think bending your body straight back means you are "spiritual"... asanas are physically beneficial, but so is running a few miles - the real purpose of asana is to engage various bhandas for the prana to circulate in specific ways

if these people were real yogis, a fucking cellphone would not bother them in the slightest... nor would anything else, thats the point of it

space captain is the most chill, most spiritual person on the Internet.

space captain doing yoga makes me think of Tooms from XFiles

Hahaha! That's awesome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jul 11, 2012, 19:41 D_K_night

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 23:47:
She's an employee of Facebook... If they don't want her being "stern" then she shouldn't be. Maybe they thought they were hiring a happy-go-lucky yoga teacher and not a stickler.

Actually she says it herself:
"The culture of these places is to let them do whatever they want," she said. "And I'm just not really OK with anarchy."

Oh well then, looks like you aren't a good fit.

Ooo! you nailed it.

LOL Anarchy. Does she even know what anarchy is? using it to describe a tech campus?

She forgets that she is the guest on Facebook campus, and not the other way around. She was dealt with appropriately, and rightfully so.

20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 19:04 jdreyer

as if the modern american "yoga" has anything to do with what Patanjali was talking about.. these idiots are fooling themselves if they think bending your body straight back means you are "spiritual"... asanas are physically beneficial, but so is running a few miles - the real purpose of asana is to engage various bhandas for the prana to circulate in specific ways

if these people were real yogis, a fucking cellphone would not bother them in the slightest... nor would anything else, thats the point of it

Wow, your knowledge of yoga completely redefines who I thought you were. Your description reminds me of how we handle interruptions during zen meditation: just to accept them without latching on to them, so they don't become distractions. Interruptions are actually excellent training in that regard.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 16:07 Dmitri_M

Super creepy for us, super awesome for him. Did I say too much?  

18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 14:45 Verno

Eugene Tooms is super creepy but only surpassed by the actor himself marrying a 16 year old.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

17. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 14:31 Dmitri_M

mag wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:21:

space captain doing yoga makes me think of Tooms from XFiles

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 12:21 mag

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 11:16 Fantaz

Now Ouya somehow has hit 3M... the only way they got away with it was because Sony or Microsoft didn't even announce new consoles, and Wii U looks like ass.  

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 09:56 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:53:
Yeah, Ouya won't do much to disrupt anything. It is a good idea but it needed more beefy hardware behind the idea to really make a difference.

Yeah, but at that point the question becomes "why?"
Most of the target audience already has cellphones or tablets that are as powerful. Why buy another device when you can just hook those up to the TV via their mini-hdmi and connect a controller via bluetooth?

Ouya completely misses the point - consoles will absolutely be replaced after (or during) this next cycle, but it won't be another dedicated box that does it. That's just another console, no different than Microsoft replacing Sega (which it didn't do directly, but it filled the hole on the shelf.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 09:45 Verno

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:53:
Yeah, Ouya won't do much to disrupt anything. It is a good idea but it needed more beefy hardware behind the idea to really make a difference.

It looks like a really cool emulator device more than anything else to me. Of course I already have a beefy HTPC with XBMC and etc setup to do all that so I have no need of it but maybe other people want to get their SNES/PSX/whatever going on in the living room.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 09:26 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 08:53 ASeven

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 07:35 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 03:59:
I agree that Ouya is a stupid idea, but it is not really a scam in the sense.

Yeah, I think all the "this is going to end console!" people are going to be supremely disappointed. It's a Tegra 3 - it can only do so much.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 03:59 eRe4s3r

But that likely meant actual power states for hardware like APCI, Android does not support anything like that (and why should it, given it is a mobile OS where you do not want your device to go stand-by when the screen is off) and so in IDLE has absolutely no concept of preserving power. It literally always wastes power unless you disable ALL active power drain functions yourself, every single time. Or switch the device entirely off.

I agree that Ouya is a stupid idea, but it is not really a scam in the sense.

8. Re: Re:Yoga teacher fired over cell phone ban at Facebook. Jul 11, 2012, 01:36 Sepharo

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 01:02:
She's an employee of Facebook... If they don't want her being "stern" then she shouldn't be. Maybe they thought they were hiring a happy-go-lucky yoga teacher and not a stickler.

"The culture of these places is to let them do whatever they want," she said. "And I'm just not really OK with anarchy."

She wasn't an employee of Facebook. She was an employee with Plus One Health Management, a company that contracted with places like Facebook and Cisco.

I don't blame her. It's disruptive to the entire class. Since I take power yoga, most people don't have the energy to do anything else, so it's rare in my class for anyone to be on their phone, but the few times it's happened, they always stand out like someone talking on their phone in the movie theater.

It's okay to leave the world behind for one hour.

My original comment was much longer talking about how it probably wasn't necessarily the rule/request but the way it was made/handled. I ended up deleting it all because I couldn't make it sound right and still can't. But I find it annoying how much the article, and now these comments, are focusing on the phone bit. It's more likely she was terminated for personality/culture conflict issues than a "no cellphones" rule.

7. Re: Re:Yoga teacher fired over cell phone ban at Facebook. Jul 11, 2012, 01:02 DeadlyAccurate

She wasn't an employee of Facebook. She was an employee with Plus One Health Management, a company that contracted with places like Facebook and Cisco.

I don't blame her. It's disruptive to the entire class. Since I take power yoga, most people don't have the energy to do anything else, so it's rare in my class for anyone to be on their phone, but the few times it's happened, they always stand out like someone talking on their phone in the movie theater.

It's okay to leave the world behind for one hour.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 00:47 jdreyer

Ouya is intriguing, but not something I am going to kickstart. It's definitely a wait-and-read-reviews kind of thing.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

5. Re: Re:Yoga teacher fired over cell phone ban at Facebook. Jul 10, 2012, 23:47 Sepharo

4. Re: Re:Yoga teacher fired over cell phone ban at Facebook. Jul 10, 2012, 23:26 Alamar

Enahs wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:40:
In its termination notice, the company suggested the Facebook incident was part of a pattern of strict behavior on Van Ness' part; she had previously asked a Cisco employee not to take photographs of the class while it was in session.

Really? That is a pattern of strict behavior? Asking somebody not to take pictures during a Yago class. As a fellow student, I would be annoyed if some random person was taking pictures of me in an awkward position.

Everything about that comment is just stupid!

Agreed...

This may seem unrelated, but people (generally adults) complain so much about 'kids today' (and have been for generations)... I totally agree with that, but holy hell, so many adults are freaking kids today : )

As a parent, I'm trying to teach my child that different homes, businesses, schools, etc... Have different rules... And this situation is no different... If the rule is to leave your distracting shit at the door, grow the fuck up and do it.

-Alamar

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 10, 2012, 22:55 killer_roach

MrGrosser wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:27:
Ouya is a scam.

http://i.imgur.com/75MEN.jpg

I had to laugh at the "Android lacks proper power management" bit, considering the maximum power draw of a Tegra 3 system is still less than that of the Wii.

Most of the rest of the points are valid, though... basically they're creating a low-end console with commodity hardware and an open ecosystem. The only practical upshot is that you'll effectively be able to come up with a superior Ouya clone every 6-12 months if you so chose.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo