Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 17:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:58:
Enahs wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:41:
PA is the most overrated thing on the internet anyway.

They have some amusing comics from time to time but I don't know how that translates into "Give us a quarter million dollars every year". Yeah...no thanks, you guys aren't that essential.

I suppose they could go back to this idea if this doesn't work out.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 13:58 Verno

They have some amusing comics from time to time but I don't know how that translates into "Give us a quarter million dollars every year". Yeah...no thanks, you guys aren't that essential.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

17. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 12:50 Wowbagger_TIP

space captain wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:30:
its pretty slimy.. these guys are already an established business, and i seriously doubt they are hurting for cash in terms of income OR budget

reminds me of Molyneux and his new "game"

i never pegged these cats for moneygrubbing shitmongers... oh well, learn something new everyday

I don't know why they decided to use KS for this. I think a premium version, like Ars and some other sites have, would have been a better option.

I think it may be due to the fact that they tend to do a lot of game/industry review and commentary, and they don't want to appear biased due to the ads. So the solution to that for them is to remove the dependence on ads for running the site.

Starting a premium version wouldn't really accomplish that, because they'd still need the ads for all the non-premium people, which would be the vast majority, I'm sure.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

16. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 12:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 10:03:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:28:
Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:27:
It's not as bad as that girl that funded her dream home/farm via KS (which got funded somehow) but it seems a very distinct violation of the KS spirit.

"Guarantee us money, easily, all in one lump sum, for something you're already getting and will continue to get regardless of whether this gets funded!"
Not exactly though. It's for what they're already getting, but without the ads. Essentially like paying for an app-store app.

No, that's still exactly it. Paying for a premium version of an app that's already free is exactly what they're doing (though it's a community thing with free-rider issues if you really want to get into it.) But that's not what Kickstarter is for. If you want to launch a premium version of something free you just do it. You just put it on the app store and charge $2.99.

Kickstarter is for projects. This is in no way a project.

I'm not disagreeing that it's not what Kickstarter is for. I'm just saying that what they get if it gets funded is not the same as what they're getting now.

15. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 10:03 Beamer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:28:
It's not as bad as that girl that funded her dream home/farm via KS (which got funded somehow) but it seems a very distinct violation of the KS spirit.

"Guarantee us money, easily, all in one lump sum, for something you're already getting and will continue to get regardless of whether this gets funded!"
Not exactly though. It's for what they're already getting, but without the ads. Essentially like paying for an app-store app.

No, that's still exactly it. Paying for a premium version of an app that's already free is exactly what they're doing (though it's a community thing with free-rider issues if you really want to get into it.) But that's not what Kickstarter is for. If you want to launch a premium version of something free you just do it. You just put it on the app store and charge $2.99.

Kickstarter is for projects. This is in no way a project.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 10:02 Tumbler

Assuming they hit their goal I'm curious what the site will be like for the next year. What I'm wondering is will they have the spine to stick with their pledge when they have all this money and advertisers still want to pay them. (which mean MOAR money!)

People, and especially business's, are predictable when it comes to money (as in do you want this money? YES.) so it's hard for me to believe that they're going to just leave the advertising dollars "sitting on the table" after they get this money.

We'll see.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 09:30 space captain

its pretty slimy.. these guys are already an established business, and i seriously doubt they are hurting for cash in terms of income OR budget

reminds me of Molyneux and his new "game"

i never pegged these cats for moneygrubbing shitmongers... oh well, learn something new everyday

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 09:28 Wowbagger_TIP

11. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 08:27 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 07:41 nin

What they think of as 'good games' these days is at best orthogonal and at worst antiparallel to what I think.

After I wrote my initial post, it donned on me that they've done several cartoons specifically for games (mostly Bio) and talked about them in posts. Again, another source of income...

Besides, I have a hard time seeing how this does not violate the Kickstarter TOS

To me, what they're wanting to do certainty doesn't sound what KS was designed for...

I guess it just feels like a cheap cash in, and I'm disappointed they chose to do it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 03:00 eRe4s3r

The only thing I can add to this is.. PA had ads? and now they want me to pay for something I can use adblock for? Why not leave the ads where they are and make the cash from people who like seeing ads (and chose to do so, hence are likely the target demographic for these ads) instead of making this pointless Kickstarter

Besides, I have a hard time seeing how this does not violate the Kickstarter TOS, donation drives to sustain a business model are not allowed, if Kickstarter allows this, it smells even worse of "succumbing to pressure" than ever before. In fact, Kickstarter is supposed to be about STARTING a business / model / project. Paying to have comics made another year without ads is not that.

8. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 01:49 Wowbagger_TIP

Asmo wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 00:16:
I like PA but the ads don't bother me (srsly, PA's adds are relatively innocuous compared to some other sites...)

Incidentally, I still can't believe people are going on about the fucking dickwolf thing...
Yeah, the dickwolves thing was just retarded. But there's always someone, somewhere, that will be offended by damn near anything.

I may kick in on the lower end for this. I'm still not clear on whether Gabe will think about me during sex I'm having or sex that he's having. I'll have to seek clarification on that one.

7. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 00:16 Asmo

I like PA but the ads don't bother me (srsly, PA's adds are relatively innocuous compared to some other sites...)

Incidentally, I still can't believe people are going on about the fucking dickwolf thing...

6. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 00:00 mag

I still read PA, but I'm really not sure why. What they think of as 'good games' these days is at best orthogonal and at worst antiparallel to what I think.  

5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 10, 2012, 23:46 Alamar

As opposed to Facebook, Reddit, Google, etc?

If I knew more popular sites, I would add them to the list : )

-Alamar

4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 10, 2012, 23:08 Cutter

Blue just needs to start selling merch again. How many times over the years does the topic come of Blue's T's, mugs, etc. Really though, it's not like the ads here are intrusive or anything and I still click on some now and then to make sure he's getting more than just impression money.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 10, 2012, 22:41 Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 10, 2012, 21:51 Sepharo

You nailed it.

I don't doubt they'll make their goal and the low end rewards aren't all that enticing to me. I've bought enough PA Merch over the years, I don't think I'll be contributing to this.

Blue on the other hand... I need a way to get him some money

1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 10, 2012, 21:25 nin

The scary part is they're almost half way to their initial goal.

I'm not sure why this bothered me so much. If Blue did something like this, I'd kick in instantly. I guess I assumed that with their comic, their merch, their PAX, and everything else they have going on, that they were well off financially (not burning $100 bills, but enough that what they do outside of ad revenue would support them). And in all fairness, I'm not sure if they are or not...whereas Blue does this on his own, and doesn't do merch (recently) and it's just him. I can see how ads would benefit him, and help him support the site.

But the PA guys...I dunno. I like em, but I'd be a little skeptical if they pulled ads tomorrow and said they were broke.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo