Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 to Include Original

The release of Wasteland 2 will also include the original Wasteland, reports The Verge, quoting Brian Fargo saying that the inclusion of the original version of the post-apocalyptic RPG was the number one request they received during the fundraising campaign for the sequel, and that EA has been cooperative in making this happen. "It is great to be able to make Wasteland available for those feeling nostalgic or who want to experience it for the first time," says Fargo. "It certainly will not be a pre-requisite to understand Wasteland 2, but it adds some extra flavor if you did play the prequel." Thanks VG247.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 11, 2012, 22:10 Dmitri_M

Jerykk wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:55:
Wait, EA still owns the Wasteland IP? And they're letting Wasteland 2 get made?
When I read that I didn't think of Wasteland, I thought of Alpha Centauri.

Those monsters at EA.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 11, 2012, 02:44 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:55:
I think people were talking in general terms about releasing old games.

As for wasteland, my understanding is they own everything specifically W1, but Fargo owns the trademarks for Wasteland stuff like the name. That happened a number of years ago, long before kickstarter was popular. I don't know if there was a deal made with EA about it, but remember how he announced that one of the digital platforms for WL2 would be Origin? If there was a deal, it probably included allowing EA to put it on whatever digital platform they wanted.

31. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 22:55 Jerykk

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 17:10:
Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:34:

On another note: Why don't companies like EA, Activision, etc. all host their old games that no one in their right mind would pay money for as free downloads? It wouldn't cost them anything, it would be good PR and it would save people from having to trudge to various sites looking for old gems. Seems like there would only be winners in that scenario.

Because once they make it free officially, then it's free no matter what later. As someone pointed out, if this sequel goes big they might decide to repackage the original up in DOSBox and sell it for a few dollars. And the same goes with all IP, once free you can't put it back in the box and many companies like to resell old IP when they reboot it for a few extra bucks. Sure, they could try to package it as a collection but people will still give away their legally free copies.

It's just cheaper and easier to turn a blind eye to the old IP and only have it taken down when money is involved. Also, sites like GoG.com kill any companies ideas of releasing old games for free since they can all see old/dead IP can be still sold for quite some money on sites like GoG. Some games like Ultima 4 are free on GoG since they already had made it free so (I know it's in a bundle so your really paying for Ultima 5 and 6), and now I don't think any company wants to risk giving up a potential cash cow

30. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 18:55 Mad Max RW

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 18:46:
If you've never been wrong, than why did EA send some out?

I wasn't talking about Ultima and don't know the full story behind it. All I can find after a few minutes of google searching is conspiracy theories about Ultima 4 being forced off some websites and allowed on others. Hardly anything when compared to Fox's notorious over-use of C&D orders and their ability to ruin communities with their stranglehold over popular franchises.

29. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 18:46 Dev

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 18:37:
Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 18:02:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 17:03:
EA never went out of their way to issue a C&D order to a single abandonware website. They will not start now or any time in the future.
I'm glad you know the future. Please tell me what stock to invest in so I can be a millionaire this year.

Also, they HAVE sent some out before, over some ultima stuff.

I've never been wrong before. You have.

Also, invest in ammunition and pet food companies
Oil companies seem a good addition to the former, especially for a guy like mad max Why the latter?

I freely admit I've been wrong before. I'm certainly not always right. And I'll be wrong again in the future.

If you've never been wrong, than why did EA send some out?

28. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 18:37 Mad Max RW

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 18:02:
EA never went out of their way to issue a C&D order to a single abandonware website. They will not start now or any time in the future.
I'm glad you know the future. Please tell me what stock to invest in so I can be a millionaire this year.

I've never been wrong before. You have.

Also, invest in ammunition and pet food companies

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 18:42.

27. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 18:02 Dev

26. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 17:10 Kitkoan

On another note: Why don't companies like EA, Activision, etc. all host their old games that no one in their right mind would pay money for as free downloads? It wouldn't cost them anything, it would be good PR and it would save people from having to trudge to various sites looking for old gems. Seems like there would only be winners in that scenario.

Because once they make it free officially, then it's free no matter what later. As someone pointed out, if this sequel goes big they might decide to repackage the original up in DOSBox and sell it for a few dollars. And the same goes with all IP, once free you can't put it back in the box and many companies like to resell old IP when they reboot it for a few extra bucks. Sure, they could try to package it as a collection but people will still give away their legally free copies.

It's just cheaper and easier to turn a blind eye to the old IP and only have it taken down when money is involved. Also, sites like GoG.com kill any companies ideas of releasing old games for free since they can all see old/dead IP can be still sold for quite some money on sites like GoG. Some games like Ultima 4 are free on GoG since they already had made it free so (I know it's in a bundle so your really paying for Ultima 5 and 6), and now I don't think any company wants to risk giving up a potential cash cow

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

25. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 17:03 Mad Max RW

It's only "abandonware" as long as the owner of the IP doesn't care. If the sequel does well I would expect EA to start caring and sending out some take down notices.

24. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 17:01 PropheT

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:54:
On another note: Why don't companie And some of those older titles its very nebulous as to who owns the IP.

I think that's the biggest problem. It seems to be a major issue with all of these old titles, and in the end I don't think the return on investment is worth the hassle...at least when looking at it from a retail sales perspective, like the publishers have been until really recently.

23. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 16:54 Dev

It would also take a fair amount of work to setup and a non trivial amount of money to maintain, and would increase support requests (regardless of how much they might say that its all unsupported). And some of those older titles its very nebulous as to who owns the IP.

If I was in charge I'd do it, but a company like EA isn't going to do something like that out of the goodness of their hearts (or rather the lack thereof)

22. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 16:45 Orogogus

Depending on the era, some old games might need more tweaking than just bundling with a copy of DOSBOX. I'm not current on the state of compatibility issues, but I think early Win95 games still tend to be problematic. Or they might not be able to find the documentation, code wheels, etc. They might not be able to find the actual games, given the generally primitive backup technology of the time. Or they could be worried about dealing with support issues. There could be rights issues, maybe, if for whatever reason they aren't the sole property of the publisher.

And of course there's also the problem that EA and Activision wouldn't know good PR if it bit them on the ass.

21. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 16:34 Panickd

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:34:
nin wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:17:
Wow, that's cool! Never played the original, so including it is a nice bonus...

Wasteland has been abandonware for years. You can download it just about anywhere and run with DOSBox. The Commodore version was a little more polished, but C64 emulators are shit.

It's only "abandonware" as long as the owner of the IP doesn't care. If the sequel does well I would expect EA to start caring and sending out some take down notices.

20. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 15:08 theyarecomingforyou

Techie714 wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:17:
Tis is a cool bonus! Psst EA is courting them. If you have been following the development Brian has mentioned a couple of times how nice its been working with EA, this is another example. EA sees a nice IP & after Wasteland 2 ships & if it's super successful EA will sweep in with the offer.....
As long as it's not an exclusive deal there really isn't any issue with that. If EA can offer them a better deal then that's great. But EA has a long track record of screwing over gamers and employees, so excuse me if I don't accept that EA has suddenly become a nice company.

As for including the original, it's a nice gesture but I doubt I'll bother playing it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 14:41 Cutter

Well, the editor is far more important IMO. As far as this goes...don't cry, don't raise your eye....

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 14:08 Axis

jimnms wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:49:
wonkawonka wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:07:
The thing is that Wasteland didn't age very well.
The problem isn't the graphics of course, but some of the game mechanics. Like getting stuck in a dungeon with absolutely no chance of getting out because some random pack of monsters 10 times more powerful than you spawned between your location and the exit all 87 times you tried doing it.

The game can get extremely frustrating. I was trying to get out of a cave with my team low on health. I can't get out because of stupid rats. None of them could hit the damn things, and the rats couldn't do enough damage to kill my team either. The rats would do enough damage to knock my team unconscious. They'd wake up get hit and go unconscious again. Every now and then a rat would miss and I'd get a chance to attack or evade. If I did manage to evade, I couldn't leave because the rats were in the way. I couldn't rest and heal without being attacked by the rats.

At first I didn't want to waste ammo on little rats, but since they couldn't hit them with melee weapons I finally had them equip their pistols, but they expended all of their ammo unable to hit shit. I finally just deleted that save and started over.

Yet it's stuff like this that CAN happen that makes the older games a joy to play and memorable long after it's time.

I haven't felt any sense of "I might truly fail" in virtually any game the last 10 years, maybe longer. Original EQ was the last iirc.

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 13:49 jimnms

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:07:
The thing is that Wasteland didn't age very well.
The problem isn't the graphics of course, but some of the game mechanics. Like getting stuck in a dungeon with absolutely no chance of getting out because some random pack of monsters 10 times more powerful than you spawned between your location and the exit all 87 times you tried doing it.

The game can get extremely frustrating. I was trying to get out of a cave with my team low on health. I can't get out because of stupid rats. None of them could hit the damn things, and the rats couldn't do enough damage to kill my team either. The rats would do enough damage to knock my team unconscious. They'd wake up get hit and go unconscious again. Every now and then a rat would miss and I'd get a chance to attack or evade. If I did manage to evade, I couldn't leave because the rats were in the way. I couldn't rest and heal without being attacked by the rats.

At first I didn't want to waste ammo on little rats, but since they couldn't hit them with melee weapons I finally had them equip their pistols, but they expended all of their ammo unable to hit shit. I finally just deleted that save and started over.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 13:47 Axis

I almost never feel this way, I think Wasteland 2 will do the original justice. With kickstarter, original devs, and more oldschoolers on board, Wasteland 2 has a solid chance at becoming a gem.

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 13:46 gilly775

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:10:
gilly775 wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:27:

Same here. Loved the Fallout games and always heard good things about Wasteland.
To anyone thinking about playing the original wasteland, I suggest watching a youtube video on it first to see if its to your taste.
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmZPF7SlMA

I would play it. I did a lot of Ultima/Zork/etc. style RPGs back in the day on my C-64. If anything, I'll bring back memories.

14. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 13:10 Dev

gilly775 wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:27:

Same here. Loved the Fallout games and always heard good things about Wasteland.
To anyone thinking about playing the original wasteland, I suggest watching a youtube video on it first to see if its to your taste.
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmZPF7SlMA

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo