Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans

CBS Films is planning a film adaptation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, reports Variety, saying Roy Lee and Adrian Askarieh are producing the movie. "As is clear from the wild success of the game, Square Enix and Eidos-Montreal know how to exceed their audience's expectations by engineering incredible worlds," said Terry Press, co-president of CBS Films. "No one knows 'Human Revolution' like the team that created it, and we look forward to working with them from day one to make a film adaptation worthy of the 'Deus Ex' name." Thanks Eurogamer.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 11, 2012, 11:39 Dev

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:41:
What I don't understand is it seems that studios green-light videogame adaptations because they are popular and have a built-in audience before the movie even starts production. Then they produce a movie that pisses off every one of those fans. Why make a Doom movie then change virtually every aspect that makes it Doom? Producers just don't get it, something made painfully apparent by the asinine shit they throw in thinking it's fan service like first person sequence in the Doom movie. Fan service would simply be making a good movie that doesn't piss all over the source material. If the source material isn't good enough to stand on its own, then don't make the friggin' movie.
I agree entirely. I think a lot of it is internal politics from the studios and the people working on the movie. Some writer or director or nephew of a VP wants to put their personal stamp on it, or they just suck at it but because they ARE the nephew of the VP, they get the job.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 11, 2012, 08:41 Prez

What I don't understand is it seems that studios green-light videogame adaptations because they are popular and have a built-in audience before the movie even starts production. Then they produce a movie that pisses off every one of those fans. Why make a Doom movie then change virtually every aspect that makes it Doom? Producers just don't get it, something made painfully apparent by the asinine shit they throw in thinking it's fan service like first person sequence in the Doom movie. Fan service would simply be making a good movie that doesn't piss all over the source material. If the source material isn't good enough to stand on its own, then don't make the friggin' movie.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 11, 2012, 05:15 Acleacius

Hey look, eidos pressed a button and this is the terribly bad ending they got.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 14:14.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 23:47 Alamar

Hmmm... Wonder if it's been long enough, that I could finally replay this game... And instead of the sneaky/stealthy/one-shot... Go for the guns a blazin psycho...

As for on topic... I wonder what the boss fights will be like... /duck

As for Silent Hill... Ewww... I thought the movie was crap... Which is partly due to knowing NOTHING about the game... But that kind of makes my point for me; it shouldn't be a requirement for a good movie.

-Alamar

36. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 22:44 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 19:22:
As two of you have already mentioned, I think Silent Hill probably takes the cake for best "video game movie".

This. It's the only adaptation that's actually decent. MK may have been decent by videogame adaptation standards, but Silent Hill was decent by movie standards.

As for DX:HR, I think it could make for a great movie. The strength of the source material is important for any adaptation and DX has a really compelling setting and lore to draw from.

35. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 21:55 durandal

I never asked for this.  

34. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 20:39 Wallshadows

I thought Advent Children was pretty good, hell, the end where we see Aerith was a bit of a nostalgic tear jerker but it could have really been done in any other universe with entirely different characters. It's really just a glorified epilogue in my eyes to provide fan service (as Sepharo said) along with Dirge of Cerberus.

But I think we can all agree that it's miles ahead of Spirits Within *shudders*

I would put it in the same category as Resident Evil: Degeneration which is arguably the best RE movie which very few have heard of it seems.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

33. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 20:11 necrosis

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:20:
I totally agree with you there. Stop giving Uwe Boll and people of the same mindset access to game IP. Haven't we suffered through enough really horrible game movies such as Mario, Wing Commander, Street Fighter, Far Cry, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Max Payne, and battleship. The list goes on.

If you are going to do a film based on a movie you better understand the source material.
Mortal Kombat and you don't list Tomb Raider?

First MK was actually good IMHO. Hell DOOM was better than the others you listed.

32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 19:22 Sepharo

As two of you have already mentioned, I think Silent Hill probably takes the cake for best "video game movie". Advent Children is great fan service but of course it has a kooky plot.

edit: Here's a paper I wrote on Silent Hill for my Horror Film class...

It's a C- paper and probably reads painfully but it's chock full of interesting 100% factual facts. After detailing the plot, the end of the paper is about the lengths the director went to to reference the game. Some tidbits in case you don't want to read it... All music was from the game, stores in SH were named the same, a PS2 on set playing Silent Hill for reference... Director submitting a unsolicited Japanese subtitled pitch video to Konami since they repeatedly ignored his inquiries.

Also I don't own any Silent Hill games, I've played a few here and there but never completed one.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 19:42.

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 18:17 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:43:
he'll cast Mark Whalberg.

I would think after the Max Payne movie, he might steer clear of that...

Except the thing I posted is exactly what he wanted to do with the Uncharted movie before they took it away from him. Whalberg included.
He's like Scorsese with Deniro or Burton with Depp.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 16:55 Beamer

Raptor wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:38:
Would you make a movie from Half life 2 or Half life 1?

Neither, I'd make a movie set in the events between the two - when Gordon was missing (and, to most people, unknown, so I'm not sure I'd even mention Gordon other than a few hints for fans) and an alien invasion was taking over the world.

For this game I'd make one outside the events of DX:HR. I wouldn't use any of the major characters (well, major character) and I wouldn't follow the events of the film. I'd use the world, as you mentioned a world in which augmentations are starting to appear and money is suddenly making you an objectively superior physical being, but I wouldn't deal with any of the other stuff. There's no need to.

DX and HL are ripe for conversion because they built worlds. Something like Uncharted isn't because it just created a character. A fantastic character (I really dug the first two games), but there's no real room for a movie in those games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 16:43 nin

he'll cast Mark Whalberg.

I would think after the Max Payne movie, he might steer clear of that...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 16:41 Proudfoot

sauron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:53:
I have a horrible feeling they'll cast Tom Cruise in the lead role. And use the story from DX2, lol.

The guy that played Nathan Stark on Eureka would pass as Jensen.

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 16:38 Raptor

I don't know who's more "at fault" over that one. The first one was supposed to be set in the future where cyberized people are already the norm. And thinking back, with the exception of only a few things it really didn't look futuristic.

Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best PC games ever... but really think back. Until some of those hi-tech bases at the end nothing really looked that hi-tech. Run down brownstones, sewers, old European buildings, Nevada Desert outside A51, etc. The only cool / slick place I remember "outside" was Hong Kong.

Maybe it was the lack of really detailed textures and really-low poly counts. Maybe they were going for "trashed dystopian future where the Statue of Liberty is gone, but lots of people have metal on their faces and some have swords that could pass for light sabers."

Meanwhile... by the time DX3 came out the graphics engines were able to do a lot more. Instead of a plain gray stripe on a toon's face or arm you could now see a texture of lines and such. Instead of a low poly-count hexagon for a limb (with little/no texture), you can now go for something the shape of an Olympic Athlete only instead made of resin an cable.

So I blame that more on the limiting tech for the first game than the second game going "too far" with their graphics.

-

It's nothing about tech, but rather as Simplymonk wrote - Square.
In fact, I think it's about the only reason, just different tastes and different visions.

The whole point of Dx was a world which has and was suffering a lot for various reasons, yet it still was realistic and easy to grasp.
It had plenty of Sci-Fi futuristic stuff, but only for the privileged.

Cities didn't float in the air, no matter how cool it looks it's just not something you could imagine happening in the nearest future.
Deus Ex 3 takes place 2027, Dx1 is 2052.
So it's not about technology or that human kind has evolved so much in 10 years we can now imagine all of those cool futuristic places, weapons and tech, but just creative freedom.
Which of those two groups predicted the future more closely?

That's what made the game so hard to take seriously for me. It was in an alternative universe with some familiar names dropped in E-mails as fillers.
If the movie was to do the whole anti-aug or pro-aug debate it would need to write a lot of new material. I can't remember any conversation that wasn't black and white when it came to that subject (nor really any other for that matter), so it was left pretty unexplored in the end.

While it would be right to start from the beginning to introduce the audience to the story I think in this case it wouldn't be the correct place to start from at all. Dx1 set the lore, Dx3 used it in E-mails as a filler.
I don't hate the game but just because it was later released, looked nicer, was more accessible and thus received a lot of fans from the new era doesn't mean it should be the start.

Would you make a movie from Half life 2 or Half life 1?

26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 16:36 Wallshadows

No one knows 'Human Revolution' like the team that created it, and we look forward to working with them from day one to make a film adaptation worthy of the 'Deus Ex' name.

Yeah right! This is the biggest fucking lie every other producer has used when making a film adaptation of a game. They'll glance over the material, jerk each other off at their own ideas, and we'll get a movie where the only resemblance is in name alone.

Please prove me wrong though. Silent Hill is the pinnacle of video game adaptation and that's not saying much.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 16:26 Agent.X7

It'll be David O'Russel, and he'll cast Mark Whalberg. The story will involve a family of art technology dealers in New York and the wacky antics they get up to when Drake Denton steals the wrong painting computer chip.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 15:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Seems like most game->movie projects just can't attract decent writers or directors, so they mostly end up sucking. If they can figure out some way to fix that, then maybe we'll get something worth watching.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 15:04 theyarecomingforyou

As already stated, DX:HR is a much better setting for a film than the original game. To be honest I wasn't a great fan of the original, whereas I very much enjoyed the latest one (not perfect but much better than most releases).

I can certainly see a film working but there really haven't been many good game-to-movie adaptations.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 14:44 Cutter

You all know that Timothy Olyphant would be perfect for this, right?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 14:40 kanniballl

Raptor wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:12:
Dx3 was more futuristic than Dx1, yet is supposed to have happened before, so go figure.

I don't know who's more "at fault" over that one. The first one was supposed to be set in the future where cyberized people are already the norm. And thinking back, with the exception of only a few things it really didn't look futuristic.

Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best PC games ever... but really think back. Until some of those hi-tech bases at the end nothing really looked that hi-tech. Run down brownstones, sewers, old European buildings, Nevada Desert outside A51, etc. The only cool / slick place I remember "outside" was Hong Kong.

Maybe it was the lack of really detailed textures and really-low poly counts. Maybe they were going for "trashed dystopian future where the Statue of Liberty is gone, but lots of people have metal on their faces and some have swords that could pass for light sabers."

Meanwhile... by the time DX3 came out the graphics engines were able to do a lot more. Instead of a plain gray stripe on a toon's face or arm you could now see a texture of lines and such. Instead of a low poly-count hexagon for a limb (with little/no texture), you can now go for something the shape of an Olympic Athlete only instead made of resin an cable.

So I blame that more on the limiting tech for the first game than the second game going "too far" with their graphics.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 14:47.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo