Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DCS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases

The Digital Combat Simulator Website now offers pre-purchases of DCS: Combined Arms, saying those who make this advance commitment to the action/strategy hybrid will also receive access to the beta version. Here's word on how this will work: "Play DCS: Combined Arms as a real time strategy game, a first person armor warfare game, or direct the ground battle from the cockpit of a DCS aircraft like the A-10C Warthog, Ka-50 Black Shark, or P-51D Mustang." This trailer shows off a pre-alpha version of the game.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 11, 2012, 18:05 Dmitri_M

Sims are a niche market with a very dedicated fanbase that isn't as fickle as the majority of gamers who stick with a title for 2 or 3 months at a time before moving on. Sim gamers understand that the quirks will eventually be ironed out and view the titles as platforms rather than "games". ArmA is a title with this reputation which is why many gamers scoff at it as a game but don't understand why some have been supporting and playing it for 10+ years. DCS World clearly has some excellent promise as a longterm platform. The DCS guys right now are the id software of 10 years ago, the Gran Turismo devs of the sim world. Companies that develop sims are creating complicated titles (visually and programming wise). That costs money. Pay for beta offers benefit both parties in this instance.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 19:16 Bard

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 17:59:
What do you guys think of the "Preorder and we'll give you access to the beta!" stuff? Lots of games seem to be doing it these days (ex: Endless Space, GW2). I guess folks are free not to preorder, but it just seems silly to me to use beta access as bait for preordering. "Pay for your new car six months in advance, and we'll let you drive it around early UNPAINTED!"

TFC have a history of releasing Alpha and Beta products to market as 'retail releases' - never finishing them and leaving purchasers screwed.

Now they're being honest about it - and releasing beta to pre-orders (thereby gaining some income) to tide them over until they finish the product.

7. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 18:21 Bet

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 17:59:
What do you guys think of the "Preorder and we'll give you access to the beta!" stuff? Lots of games seem to be doing it these days (ex: Endless Space, GW2). I guess folks are free not to preorder, but it just seems silly to me to use beta access as bait for preordering. "Pay for your new car six months in advance, and we'll let you drive it around early UNPAINTED!"

In this case, it's not bait. People want their sims, and they want them now. If a missile has buggy code, sim gamers laugh about it and just wait for the patch, knowing that it's a beta, and the same things happen in real life (but just aren't fixed as easily).

6. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 17:59 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 15:00 Dmitri_M

Shataan wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 14:16:
They gotta quit the milking of the stuff they already released. Just move onto ARMA 3!!!!!! I loved the earlier stuff, but right now it is fugly to look at. lol
I think you have your devs mixed up.

4. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 14:16 Shataan

They gotta quit the milking of the stuff they already released. Just move onto ARMA 3!!!!!! I loved the earlier stuff, but right now it is fugly to look at. lol  

3. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 11:45 Tumbler

This series makes me want to buy a multi monitor flight sim setup and build a room around using it. Going to have to do that soon...  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 11:44 nin

Yeah, I thought it was a CS:GO preorder at first or something...disappointing!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 11:38 SpectralMeat

You are missing a "D" from the title Blue  

Steam: SpectralMeat

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo