Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project Copernicus Trailer

Kotaku has a trailer from Project Copernicus that was intended as an introduction to 38 Studios' MMORPG before the demise of developer 38 Studios. The clip is not a finished product, as it includes some placeholder voiceovers, but it offers a look at how this game would have been presented had it been completed.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 11:18 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:13:
Plus the update policy. If there ends up a hack in an MMO it does damage super quickly and needs to be fixed very rapidly. Microsoft takes 2 weeks to certify patches. It doesn't work.

Yes. Very true. Knew I was forgetting something. Not being able to control your patch cycles for an MMO and having to dish out cash to a third part every time you patch is absolutely a deal breaker to any company.

I know Diablo 3 is still playing around with the idea of a console version, but that right there is most likely a big concern for them. Might of been another source of incentive for them to do so much server side as then Blizzard could tweak game play without having to go through Microsoft until the needed to update tool-tips.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 11:13 Beamer

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:09:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 22:43:
...and last time I checked the only MMO the 360 has is Phantasy Star Online.

I'm not sure if it is still playable on the 360, but Final Fantasy XI was actually the first MMO to be on the 360 and it was launched I think only a few months after the 360 itself launched. Like with Shadowrun being able to play with PC players, however, I think Microsoft had to cut a lot of holes in their XBL network and policies in order to get that done.

I've had some conversations with MMO developers and if I remember correctly, a lot of the reason they don't look to consoles for release is that the consoles have a slightly "walled garden" aspect to their online networks and Microsoft's infrastructure in particular doesn't take kindly to heavy server side code that MMOs require. That and the typical console user usually isn't one to not only pay for XBL, but also pay an additional fee on top of that for their MMO.

Tera had plans initially to be released on the 360. I'm curious if they are going to follow through on them or if Microsoft policies shut that down. FFXIV was PS3 destined as well till the "it is a horrible game so let's remake it" debacle. I'm less familiar with the problems in running an MMO on the PSN however.

Plus the update policy. If there ends up a hack in an MMO it does damage super quickly and needs to be fixed very rapidly. Microsoft takes 2 weeks to certify patches. It doesn't work.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 11:09 SimplyMonk

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 22:43:
...and last time I checked the only MMO the 360 has is Phantasy Star Online.

I'm not sure if it is still playable on the 360, but Final Fantasy XI was actually the first MMO to be on the 360 and it was launched I think only a few months after the 360 itself launched. Like with Shadowrun being able to play with PC players, however, I think Microsoft had to cut a lot of holes in their XBL network and policies in order to get that done.

I've had some conversations with MMO developers and if I remember correctly, a lot of the reason they don't look to consoles for release is that the consoles have a slightly "walled garden" aspect to their online networks and Microsoft's infrastructure in particular doesn't take kindly to heavy server side code that MMOs require. That and the typical console user usually isn't one to not only pay for XBL, but also pay an additional fee on top of that for their MMO.

Tera had plans initially to be released on the 360. I'm curious if they are going to follow through on them or if Microsoft policies shut that down. FFXIV was PS3 destined as well till the "it is a horrible game so let's remake it" debacle. I'm less familiar with the problems in running an MMO on the PSN however.

Oh. Apparently The Secret World is also supposed to be released on the 360. Think that got nixed as well though.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 11:14.

12. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 09:14 Angrius Maximis

No one cares

We dont need any more Shit Fantasy MMO's

NO ONE CARES

11. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 09:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 06:37:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 00:44:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 23:52:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 22:58:
They should have stuck to Copernicus and never bothered with Kingdom of Amalur: The Reckoning. Which, by the way, is an atrocious name. Even if it was the best game ever made, it wouldn't have broken even.

And a generic fantasy MMO would have been a success..? The MMO market is completely saturated, especially for a fantasy MMORPG. 38 Studios would have spent significantly more time and money developing Copernicus, only for it to inevitably fail and go F2P within six months. The whole reason they even created KoA was to help fund Copernicus.

No, what they should have done was stop wasting money on R.A. Salvatore and instead create a genuinely unique setting and lore, then apply it to a good, single-player RPG. There are so many unexplored settings or themes that could make for compelling RPGs. Ancient Rome, the Old West, '50s mafia, steampunk, noir, etc. But nope, they insisted on making yet another traditional fantasy game.

I agree with this. Only a dumbass company would invest in a current gen mmo, fantasy or not. The genre is done until something completely different comes along and replaces it.

I have to completely disagree with that. There is plenty of room out there to innovate, just that most of these big companies don't have the guts to try it, we just see the exact same formula over and over again.
Using the same kind of fantasy setting that has been done to death is just about the worst way to convey to people that you're trying something innovative and different.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 08:42 Verno

Visually it looks like World of Warcraft. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw some WoW zones there

Also just an amusement but I was reading the other day that 38 Studios sought bankruptcy approval before even meeting with the evil governor about new loan terms so that theory about can finally be put to bed. They were in the tank before anyone else even got involved or "scared off investors".

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 06:37 Ozmodan

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 00:44:
They should have stuck to Copernicus and never bothered with Kingdom of Amalur: The Reckoning. Which, by the way, is an atrocious name. Even if it was the best game ever made, it wouldn't have broken even.

And a generic fantasy MMO would have been a success..? The MMO market is completely saturated, especially for a fantasy MMORPG. 38 Studios would have spent significantly more time and money developing Copernicus, only for it to inevitably fail and go F2P within six months. The whole reason they even created KoA was to help fund Copernicus.

No, what they should have done was stop wasting money on R.A. Salvatore and instead create a genuinely unique setting and lore, then apply it to a good, single-player RPG. There are so many unexplored settings or themes that could make for compelling RPGs. Ancient Rome, the Old West, '50s mafia, steampunk, noir, etc. But nope, they insisted on making yet another traditional fantasy game.

I agree with this. Only a dumbass company would invest in a current gen mmo, fantasy or not. The genre is done until something completely different comes along and replaces it.

I have to completely disagree with that. There is plenty of room out there to innovate, just that most of these big companies don't have the guts to try it, we just see the exact same formula over and over again.

8. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 00:44 Steele Johnson

7. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 23:52 Jerykk

6. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 22:58 JohnBirshire

5. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 22:43 The Half Elf

Cutter you don't put a MMO out for consoles unless you can get it on the 360, and last time I checked the only MMO the 360 has is Phantasy Star Online. All the textures shown 'looked' high res and not washed out 'console textures'.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 22:39 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 21:12:
Visually it looks awesome.

No question about it. The problem with the game wasn't the visual style - which was great, though the washed out, low rez console textures didn't help - it was the mediocre gameplay and catering to the console crowd when the obvious focus should have PC all along.

I'd imagine someone will pick it up and run with it if they can get it cheap.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 21:58 alvador

I'm pretty sure that "demon" wasn't a final asset. The environments also had another 3 months of final polish that isn't in those clips- they'd have all been re-shot if we'd had the time.  

2. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 21:25 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 21:12:

Yeah, shame about this. That looked pretty cool. Nice art style, except for that demon at the end, which looked kind of silly.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

1. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 9, 2012, 21:12 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo