Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Beta Details

The ArenaNet Blog has details on the upcoming final beta test of Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet's upcoming MMORPG sequel (thanks nin). Word is this will include the last two playable races:

For our final Beta Weekend Event (July 20-22), we’re making the asura and sylvari races available to beta players for the first time. Players will be able to create characters from any of the five main races of Tyria—human, norn, charr, asura, and sylvari—and begin their Guild Wars 2 experience in any of the five radically different home regions.

For asura players, this means beginning your tale in Metrica Province, a vivid, exotic jungle area full of high-tech laboratories, quirky golems, and competing krewes of mad scientists. Nearby, the massive monoliths of the asuran capital Rata Sum hum with technomagical power. These diminutive geniuses may seem cute at first glance, but never underestimate an asura…

Sylvari players begin their story in the Grove, a luminous living city nestled in the shade of the Pale Tree, the “mother” of every member of this young race of plant humanoids. The sylvari are an enigmatic race of chivalrous explorers who are driven by an insatiable curiosity and guided by a collective Dream.

If you’ve played in previous beta events, you know that each playable race has its own distinct regions, signature city, and personal storyline options. But above all, each race in Guild Wars 2 has its own identity, and the asura and sylvari perfectly illustrate this.

We can’t wait to see players drinking in the mystical atmosphere of the Grove or stopping alchemagical experiments running amok in Metrica Province during our last Beta Weekend Event before launch. If you want to reserve a spot in the beta, pre-purchase your copy of Guild Wars 2 today.

We’ll see you in-game on July 20-22! Excelsior!

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 14, 2012, 00:19 Ant

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 09:03:
The Curse public keys are up, grab em while they're hot.
Hmm, I can't seem to register a new Curse account. Any others?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 10:33 Axis

Squirmer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 03:52:
I still don't think Axis has actually played the game. He sounds like someone who plays another MMO and feels threatened by this one.

By all means buy it Squirm, you don't need to take advice from anyone.

Yours truly,

Axis

51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 10:04 Verno

Wusel gets all the credit, he linked it a few pages back, thanks bro

See you guys in-game!

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 09:55 Frags4Fun

Thanks Verno! You rock!

EDIT: Thanks Wusel!

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 10:27.

49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 09:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Thanks! Got one. Now just have to wait til next weekend...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 09:03 Verno

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 10:14.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

47. Re: Public Beta? Jul 10, 2012, 06:33 InBlack

And why would anyone in their right mind do a public beta test, when people are perfectly happy to pay to beta test??? Dont believe me? Just take a look at Diablo3....  

I have a nifty blue line!

46. Re: Public Beta? Jul 10, 2012, 05:02 Luke

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 23:59:
Fion wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:02:
Ant wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:03:
Still no public beta?

No but I've already seen sites around the web giving out tens of thousands of keys. So just snag yourself a key and you're set. :)
Aside from Curse.com I haven't found any key givaways going on. And the Curse giveaway is giving priority to "premium" (read: paying) members. Owell. Guess I'll just wait for it to be released and see how it pans out. That actually worked out well for me with D3 and I still feel like I dodged a bullet on that one.

You sir did the right thing regarding d3

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 03:52 Squirmer

I still don't think Axis has actually played the game. He sounds like someone who plays another MMO and feels threatened by this one.  

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 00:56 saluk

entr0py wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 17:29:
Teddy wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:34:
entr0py wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:50:
nin wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 13:42:
That's nice, but it doesn't make up for the fact that they didn't do beta weekends as often as they said they would, after basically charging players for the privilege.

How many did they say they were going to do?

They were planning to do about 1 a month, but most months it was delayed by a week or two. So basically it added up to one less weekend event than they implied at the start of the per-purchase scheme.

You mean aside from the fact that there was one beta weekend in may, one in June and now one in July and the release is in august? Last I checked, that's exactly 1 per month from the point they started accepting pre-purchases. If you assumed something else, that's your own failure of logic, not something they 'implied' and certainly not something they 'promised'.

It's not that complicated, the first beta event started April 27th, and the game will be released August 28th. If you believe that's a three month span of time, I don't want to argue.

You're right though that they made a fuzzy commitment by stating their intentions. So not strictly a broken promise. But my point is that player irritation at this is greatly amplified because many feel that pre-paying for beta entitles us to what was advertised, and obligates them in a way they brought upon themselves.

About 1 a month is a pretty accurate definition of what happened, and there were a couple stress tests in between as well. April 27 to July 20 IS a pretty much 3 month timespan, with 1 more month for the release.

They didn't charge you any extra for the privilege either. You now own the game, while those who waited still have to buy it. The beta events and when they ran them were KEY for their development process and for building toward a release date. Each event is like a mini release with all of the extra man-power that requires. If they had been faster with getting the BWE's out, I guarantee you the release date would be later.

43. Re: Public Beta? Jul 10, 2012, 00:17 Fion

Still nearly 2 weeks till BWE3. I'm sure we'll see more as the days roll on. Probably mostly next week.  

42. Re: Public Beta? Jul 9, 2012, 23:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Still no public beta?

No but I've already seen sites around the web giving out tens of thousands of keys. So just snag yourself a key and you're set. :)
Aside from Curse.com I haven't found any key givaways going on. And the Curse giveaway is giving priority to "premium" (read: paying) members. Owell. Guess I'll just wait for it to be released and see how it pans out. That actually worked out well for me with D3 and I still feel like I dodged a bullet on that one.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 20:39 Alamar

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 20:25:
Axis wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 20:05:
Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:41:
Axis wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:09:
Is this the test that makes the game worth a shit? no, it is not.

Arena net have committed themselves to mediocre. Just like D3, this game is already dead.

Lol! Your nerdrage is so satisfying. You can take your ball and go home any time now. We'll all be playing GW2 and having fun there sport.

You sound like all the d3 fanboys who are now butthurt acting so surprised d3 is a snorefest.

Ya, you'll enjoy any mmo for about a month. GW2 is amazingly stale once you get past all the faddy mmo elements.

There is zero character specialization, nothing at all like GW1, just 'story' (I recall 'story' being a huge excitement from the d3 and swtor fanboys too). So hope you enjoy your PvE for a month, cause pvp is horrid in GW2 - lackluster and boring on all fronts.

D3 will probably be enticing in 2 months again for you nubs with little taste and even less experience in what makes a good game.
deqer?

deqer?

If you can't tell the diff between his post, and one of deqer's (or Cutter's) rants, I feel for ya : )

-Alamar

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 20:25 Rattlehead

Axis wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 20:05:

Arena net have committed themselves to mediocre. Just like D3, this game is already dead.

Lol! Your nerdrage is so satisfying. You can take your ball and go home any time now. We'll all be playing GW2 and having fun there sport.

You sound like all the d3 fanboys who are now butthurt acting so surprised d3 is a snorefest.

Ya, you'll enjoy any mmo for about a month. GW2 is amazingly stale once you get past all the faddy mmo elements.

There is zero character specialization, nothing at all like GW1, just 'story' (I recall 'story' being a huge excitement from the d3 and swtor fanboys too). So hope you enjoy your PvE for a month, cause pvp is horrid in GW2 - lackluster and boring on all fronts.

D3 will probably be enticing in 2 months again for you nubs with little taste and even less experience in what makes a good game.
deqer?

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 20:05 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

38. Re: Public Beta? Jul 9, 2012, 19:52 Ant

Still no public beta?

No but I've already seen sites around the web giving out tens of thousands of keys. So just snag yourself a key and you're set.

Who ever said 'they let the gnomes and night elves into the game' needs to do a bit more research. They have a similarity but are much cooler races with a lot more lore and detail behind them. Sylvari for one can be vicious sobs (nightmare court) and the Asura are snarky little megalomaniacs.

I'm planning on playing a Sylvari come launch so I probably won't play one in BWE3, though I might make a character just to get an idea of the options and to settle how I want my 'main' to look. I will definitely play some Asura content, probably about as much as I have played Norn or Charr starting areas (around 25% and 50% respectively).

Cant wait for BWE3 and one month later, release at long last!
Oooh, I will have to find one. I haven't been on BN since the 25th. Isn't that sad? :~(

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 19:15 DeadlyAccurate

Krakum wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 17:44:
So as a person that doesn't know much about the GW games, is it safe to say this is a PvP first, PvE second game?

The reason I ask is I love PvP, but in so many games, it's the after thought. While I enjoy my share of PvE, the longevity in the game (for me) is PvP.

Could anyone in BETA give your thoughts on it? I'd rather hear it from unbiased individuals than a magazine review which I tend to take with a grain of salt...

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard nothing but good about the World vs. World vs. World PvP. Since you're leveled to 80 when you enter the zone, you can start playing it from about 20 minutes into the game if you want. I did try out the structured PvP (think battlegrounds) and found it to be quite fun. But I'm not a big PvPer, so most of my time was spent in PvE. It's definitely not PvP first, PvE second, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the other way around either.

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 18:46 Deepjay

Krakum wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 17:44:
So as a person that doesn't know much about the GW games, is it safe to say this is a PvP first, PvE second game?

The reason I ask is I love PvP, but in so many games, it's the after thought. While I enjoy my share of PvE, the longevity in the game (for me) is PvP.

Could anyone in BETA give your thoughts on it? I'd rather hear it from unbiased individuals than a magazine review which I tend to take with a grain of salt...

Nah neither - it's about the same. Guild Wars 1 was always heavy on both pve and pvp - but unlike most other MMO's, it was not about gear, it was actually competetive. Arenanet know their stuff when it comes to both pve and pvp, i wouldnt worry, it's most definitely not an afterthought.

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 17:58 Luke

Fion wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:14:
I wouldn't call it 'cartoonish' but the games graphics certainly have a defined 'look' to them Luke and not everyone is going to enjoy it. I myself love the graphics and the almost hand-painted look they have. But vice versa I don't play TERA because I think it's visually boring and the character models are absurdly sexualized, even though the games graphics have a higher fidelity than GW2s.

I can only say try and snag one of the free keys many websites are (and will be) giving out and try the game for yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised or you might decide the game isn't for you.

Yea might give it a try to get a feeling about the game thx

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 17:47 Cutter

Like every other MMO it's a pretty safe bet that there will be some manner of trial post-launch.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo