Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually?

Eurogamer examines the popularity of the DayZ modification, saying that as of yesterday the Zombie mod boasted 420,000 players, which helps explain why Arma II: Combined Operations is once again #1 on this weeks list of bestselling games on Steam, as the mod has made the game a fixture on that list for nine consecutive weeks. They speak with the project's author, Dean Hall, who works as a multiplayer designer at Arma developer Bohemia Interactive, and he tells them they may make a standalone version of DayZ, perhaps as a free-to-play game. In the more immediate future, he has been working on overcoming the issues preventing the implementation of dogs in the mod.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 10, 2012, 06:45 RailWizard

Dev wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 21:55:
RailWizard wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 10:06:
Dev wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 09:21:
RailWizard wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 04:11:
I'm pretty sure whoever posted this article here just made that shit up. a.k.a. speculated.

They speak with the project's author, Dean Hall, who works as a multiplayer designer at Arma developer Bohemia Interactive

Buoyed by DayZ's success, Hall wants to see it turned into a standalone game, perhaps free-to-play.

Yeah, speculation all right.

[citation needed]
Its called RTFA. That underlined word at the top of the page? The one that says Eurogamer? Its a link that can be clicked.

Well not surprised after this latest patch. Rocket is incompetent. This mod/game is doomed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 10, 2012, 03:41 Muscular Beaver

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 18:22:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:20:
Are you sure you bought the game? Laugh2

Bought it and the expansion on Steam, check my profile. It's alpha....it is an amazing concept that needs almost every aspect fixed. Until it moves farther along the development path, the hype is totally unfounded. Just look at the brilliant move to eliminate spawn camping by removing the pistol from the spawn kit....

It reminds me of CounterStrike or Desert Combat when I played them in early beta. Lots of issues, but WOW! what promise. The difference there is that I already owned Halflife and BF1942...which were well worth the barrier to entry.

Then you obviously have huge problems with games that deviate a litle from the generic shooter.

I mean I understand that, in Tribes for example, I was about to give up because I tried to play it like a normal shooter, and of course that didnt work. I blamed the game for that. But after a little conflict in my mind, I kept playing and soon I realized its the best game since Doom and the controls are not the worst, but the best for a game like that.

You just need to realize what kind of a game ArmA 2 and all of its predecessors is. After 11 years it wont change for you. Either deal with it or go back to CoD.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

55. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 21:55 Dev

I'm pretty sure whoever posted this article here just made that shit up. a.k.a. speculated.

They speak with the project's author, Dean Hall, who works as a multiplayer designer at Arma developer Bohemia Interactive

Buoyed by DayZ's success, Hall wants to see it turned into a standalone game, perhaps free-to-play.

[citation needed]
Its called RTFA. That underlined word at the top of the page? The one that says Eurogamer? Its a link that can be clicked.

54. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 18:40 RailWizard

speaking of fixes, new patch is out  

53. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 18:22 Primalchrome

Bought it and the expansion on Steam, check my profile. It's alpha....it is an amazing concept that needs almost every aspect fixed. Until it moves farther along the development path, the hype is totally unfounded. Just look at the brilliant move to eliminate spawn camping by removing the pistol from the spawn kit....

It reminds me of CounterStrike or Desert Combat when I played them in early beta. Lots of issues, but WOW! what promise. The difference there is that I already owned Halflife and BF1942...which were well worth the barrier to entry.

52. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 17:40 RailWizard

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 13:55:
Or having to deal with constant jitter or perspective shifts.

Pirate I've wondered if all those people turning into dogs, birds and other critters aren't also suffering from a certain bit of code. heh

51. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 14:20 Muscular Beaver

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 13:55:
Or having to deal with constant jitter or perspective shifts.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

50. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 13:55 Primalchrome

RailWizard wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 12:38:
I agree it's not for everyone, or even most people. If the idea of running through some woods/fields for a couple hours, only to arrive at a tree stand with nothing but a couple empty cans and a bandaid doesn't do it for you, then it's probably not for you. ;)

You misunderstand. I want do do that. I enjoy that aspect of DayZ. I hate getting to the treestand and having to move my reticle around for 10 seconds until it finally allows me to pick up the items. Or spending 10 minutes scouting around a command tent....finding a set of rifles....and not being able to pick them up. Or having to deal with constant jitter or perspective shifts. It all detracts from a fantastic concept.

49. Re: What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 12:38 RailWizard

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 12:27:
How can people stand to play this game??? I bought ARMA II specifically because of the hype surrounding this mod. It was a waste of money. This is a true alpha with all the horrible gameplay you can imagine. Even the ARMA II engine feels like cobbled together code that was put together by a bunch of monkeys. The game has amazing promise....but results in a HORRIBLE experience. I can only hope a real mod group or gaming company remakes this under a different name and it runs on top of a decent engine. VALVE, ARE YOU LISTENING?

I agree it's not for everyone, or even most people. If the idea of running through some woods/fields for a couple hours, only to arrive at a tree stand with nothing but a couple empty cans and a bandaid doesn't do it for you, then it's probably not for you.

...and I'm pretty sure Valve would gay up a game like this, bigtime. It also needs to be big, and Valve doesn't do 'big'.

48. What I don't understand is.... Jul 9, 2012, 12:27 Primalchrome

How can people stand to play this game??? I bought ARMA II specifically because of the hype surrounding this mod. It was a waste of money. This is a true alpha with all the horrible gameplay you can imagine. Even the ARMA II engine feels like cobbled together code that was put together by a bunch of monkeys. The game has amazing promise....but results in a HORRIBLE experience. I can only hope a real mod group or gaming company remakes this under a different name and it runs on top of a decent engine. VALVE, ARE YOU LISTENING?  

47. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 11:30 PHJF

Playing DayZ is like trying to build a giant lego castle in the middle of a shopping mall where any dipshit kid can come along and shove it off the table, shattering it and making you start all over again.

Don't forget the Legos are warped and disfigured and covered in glue, too.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

46. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 10:44 Verno

[citation needed]

Dude it's a quote from mod author himself, linked above in the news post you're commenting on The language is pretty clear, I doubt anyone embellished anything.

For DayZ to continue growing in a Minecraft, grassroots kind of way, it really does need to be standalone at some point.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

45. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 10:40 7.62WorldOrder

Playing DayZ is like trying to build a giant lego castle in the middle of a shopping mall where any dipshit kid can come along and shove it off the table, shattering it and making you start all over again.  

44. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 10:06 RailWizard

[citation needed]

43. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 09:21 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 07:36:
DayZ will eventually die just like you would from a zombie apocalypse and give birth to some mutated zombie that will stop at nothing until it gets 50-60$ (or less on steam sale) from your corpse, then when all hope is lost it will release a dlc for 19.99$, all the while the original mod will be abandoned, long an barried. Have fun /w Arma2 core game!
Or it could be as long lived as something like CS. I doubt it, but who knows.

42. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 07:36 dj LiTh

DayZ will eventually die just like you would from a zombie apocalypse and give birth to some mutated zombie that will stop at nothing until it gets 50-60$ (or less on steam sale) from your corpse, then when all hope is lost it will release a dlc for 19.99$, all the while the original mod will be abandoned, long an barried. Have fun /w Arma2 core game!  

41. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 07:34 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 03:32:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 00:34:
^mortis^ wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 00:15:
insert $5.99 for a map of Chernarus.

insert $19.99 for Suvivors Pack with a handgun, 12 rounds of ammo, first-aid pack, 2 days of food, and a map of Chernarus.

*SHUDDER*

I could see F2P working for DayZ just fine. Just limit the microtransactions to aesthetic items like clothing.

And you'd have to guarantee that people wouldn't lose them if they died, which kinds of defeats the purpose of the mod as it's currently designed.

Lots of (crappy) f2p games let you buy a weapon for one life. I'd see this doing the same if they made that decision. The issue, then though, is that the place soon becomes flooded with them. Do you balance that by having them break/disappear at death? That'd just piss people off...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 04:11 RailWizard

Dayz going F2P would be the most retarded thing ever.

*Buy shiny new gun for $1.50* *BOOM YOU'RE DEAD* Ha Ha

39. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 03:38 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 03:32:

insert $19.99 for Suvivors Pack with a handgun, 12 rounds of ammo, first-aid pack, 2 days of food, and a map of Chernarus.

*SHUDDER*

I could see F2P working for DayZ just fine. Just limit the microtransactions to aesthetic items like clothing.

And you'd have to guarantee that people wouldn't lose them if they died, which kinds of defeats the purpose of the mod as it's currently designed.

Not really. You can't steal people's clothing in the current mod so why change that? If you died, you'd just respawn with the clothing you had equipped.

38. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 9, 2012, 03:32 jdreyer

*SHUDDER*

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo