Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Molyneux's "Game" Next Month

Curiosity is due on August 22nd, reports Eurogamer from the Rezzed show, saying the Windows, Android, and iOS versions of Peter Molyneux's next game will all come at that time. They have comments from the designer about the mystery that's central to the game, saying its answer "is so valuable, and so life-changingly important," adding (hopefully wryly) "It's so amazing I think it will appear on news reports." He also defends the game's preposerous DLC scheme, saying a $50,000 virtual pickaxe is "nothing to be ashamed of."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Molyneux's Jul 10, 2012, 13:36 nin

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:40:
I think I figured out what the prize is.

Suppose you're the kind of person that actually buys this game. And even one of the more expensive pickaxes, for that matter.

Suppose also that you are lucky enough to open the box.

A message appears on your screen: "You spent a total of $money and hours :-minutes-: seconds on this. Congratulations!"

That revelation would be either life-changing or life-ending. Either way, a profound net gain.

I think you're on to something...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Molyneux's "Game" Next Month Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 007Bistromath

I think I figured out what the prize is.

Suppose you're the kind of person that actually buys this game. And even one of the more expensive pickaxes, for that matter.

Suppose also that you are lucky enough to open the box.

A message appears on your screen: "You spent a total of $money and hours :-minutes-: seconds on this. Congratulations!"

That revelation would be either life-changing or life-ending. Either way, a profound net gain.

26. Re: Molyneux's Jul 9, 2012, 22:51 eRe4s3r

Besides THAT would be a pretty stupid business idea given that when money is involved, a bot to "chip away" is the next step, and then you have 50000 bots chipping away.... yeah... it obviously is not gonna be something of materialistic value ;p

Unlike lottery you don't even need to guess right, persistence would always win you the day in this (if 5 million chippings are needed, you use 50k bots and would have a guaranteed win every 100 seconds ,p) (and in reality, likely many more wins).

25. Re: Molyneux's Jul 8, 2012, 15:55 nin

mag wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 14:35:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 00:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 18:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 13:38:
Like people bidding on lost luggage.

At least there you could have a lucky day and find dozens of gold bars, in a game, whatever is at the end could never measure up to a real thing. Unless it is a deeply moving story....

What if it's a new car or a trip? It's not like the prize couldn't be real world, right? If he's smart he has something intriguing to pay for.

Is a car or trip really something "life-changingly important"? I think he's just up his own ass.

Maybe it's a million dollars? Or true love? Or a puppy?

I thought about it being money. But if money exchanges hands, wouldn't that be a lottery/gambling (since only one person "wins")?

24. Re: Molyneux's Jul 8, 2012, 14:35 mag

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 00:04:

At least there you could have a lucky day and find dozens of gold bars, in a game, whatever is at the end could never measure up to a real thing. Unless it is a deeply moving story....

What if it's a new car or a trip? It's not like the prize couldn't be real world, right? If he's smart he has something intriguing to pay for.

Is a car or trip really something "life-changingly important"? I think he's just up his own ass.

Maybe it's a million dollars? Or true love? Or a puppy?

23. Re: Molyneux's Jul 8, 2012, 00:04 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

22. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 18:24 HorrorScope

21. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 13:38 eRe4s3r

20. Re: I already know the answer to the mystery Jul 7, 2012, 13:37 space captain

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 23:56:
Honestly this the result of surrounding yourself with yes-men and ass-kissers for over a decade. I'm sure it's a situation like George Lucas, where no one has the balls to just look him in the eye and call him on his bullshit.

i bet plenty people do that, but the force of his self-delusion protects him from any criticism whatsoever

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 13:20 Mordecai Walfish

Peter Molyneux's Next Project Reveals "Reality-Shifting Augment" Surprise

New augmented reality glasses unveiled by Peter Molyneux today give video gamers all across the globe a look into the worlds he's promised for decades:

"It really just superimposes all the bullshit I've been making up in press releases over the years, onto my previous games" said Molyneux. "Finally, gamers can rest assured, I'm not just full of shit!"

18. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 12:03 007Bistromath

ASeven wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 22:39:
Where is the Peter I knew who was a genius, who developed Populous 1 and 2, Powermonger, Syndicate? All I see is an insane man in his stead.
Maybe Dracula kidnapped the real Peter Molyneux! :O

17. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 11:16 HorrorScope

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 02:48:
I really don't know what this whole thing is going to prove, other than that there are a lot of mentally ill people in the world. We already know that. Peter is actually a pretty good example, now that I think about it.

16. Re: Molyneux's "Game" Next Month Jul 7, 2012, 11:16 HorrorScope

The thing that most disappoints is this stupid thing just might work and it wouldn't be stupid on his end but the buyers. I do wonder what amazing prizes he'll give to the winner, so we'll see updates here at some point on that. But this screams of Richy Rich dropping tons of jack into, so I guess it's a way to distribute wealth. I do hope it bombs because mankind doesn't need this shit and it's embarrassing to all of us, unless the prizes are flat out amazing.  

15. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 03:33 dj LiTh

Nothing to see here, move along, move along.  

14. Re: Molyneux's Jul 7, 2012, 02:48 Wowbagger_TIP

I really don't know what this whole thing is going to prove, other than that there are a lot of mentally ill people in the world. We already know that. Peter is actually a pretty good example, now that I think about it.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Molyneux's "Game" Next Month Jul 7, 2012, 02:31 entr0py

Screw you guys, I want to pick away at a cube. And pay to do so!  

12. Re: Molyneux's "Game" Next Month Jul 7, 2012, 00:35 Illumin

To be curious about something don't you first have to give a shit about it?  

11. Re: I already know the answer to the mystery Jul 6, 2012, 23:56 Beelzebud

Honestly this the result of surrounding yourself with yes-men and ass-kissers for over a decade. I'm sure it's a situation like George Lucas, where no one has the balls to just look him in the eye and call him on his bullshit.  

10. I already know the answer to the mystery Jul 6, 2012, 23:17 TheVocalMinority

Peter Molyneux has been killed and replaced by a reptilian doppelganger.

Edit: ROFL what timing! And why's my name changed? My rank is "suspect"?
Edit2: ah, fixed

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 23:37.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

9. Re: Molyneux's Jul 6, 2012, 23:11 nin

It's almost like he intentionally tried to troll, anymore...

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo