Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend

Rockstar Games announces this is a double XP weekend for Max Payne 3, beginning with a live streaming event later today. The times they offer for this don't seem to completely add up, but here's the stated plan:

We’re kicking off this Double XP weekend in grand style with a live-streaming official Social Club multiplayer event on Friday July 6th from 4-7pm EST / 9pm-midnight BST, and we’ll be playing all modes including those in the Local Justice DLC pack on consoles.

To join us, simply log on to Max Payne 3 multiplayer on your platform of choice and select the ‘Social Club Multiplayer Event’ option from the in-game Playlists menu, and look out for one of our official Rockstar players, marked with a special visible in-game dog tag logo:

• MaxPayneDev1 (PC)
        • MaxPayneDev2 (PSN)
        • MaxPayneDev3 (Xbox Live)
        • MaxPayneDev4 (PC)

*MaxPayneDev5 will be playing on PC between 2-4pm EST / 7-9pm BST and that will be streamed live on our Twitch page

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 7, 2012, 01:45 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:24:
I'll pick it up if it's 50% off during the Steam Summer Sale. Otherwise I'll wait. I don't care how good the port is (according to all accounts it's actually excellent) as Rockstar has screwed me over too many times with shitty ports. I refuse to pay full price, especially given the criticism over the cutscenes and gameplay.

You should have picked it up 2 days ago. Amazon had it on sale for $30.

Cutscene game from hell, broken lore and mostly scripted now (think max payne meets call of duty).

You have played the previous MP games, right? They also had plenty of cutscenes and were completely linear and scripted. As for lore, MP2 had two different endings so I don't think it's possible to stay consistent to both.

On a side note, 3 devs playing the PC version vs 1 dev per console! Go PC!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 20:11 siapnar

The gameplay was fantastic, regardless of the series' history.
I found myself replaying most shootouts multiple times, to go about it differently and get the most stylized, well executed run.

Euphoria physics + Slo-mo + killer graphics = win

Even the droning cutscenes, annoying last stand mechanic and forgettable (see: pretty terrible) story couldn't keep me from loving the game

Plus, it ran very well on my old-ish PC

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 20:20.

I have projectile dysfunction.

11. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 19:24 theyarecomingforyou

I'll pick it up if it's 50% off during the Steam Summer Sale. Otherwise I'll wait. I don't care how good the port is (according to all accounts it's actually excellent) as Rockstar has screwed me over too many times with shitty ports. I refuse to pay full price, especially given the criticism over the cutscenes and gameplay.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 18:48 .Drifter

Download version of the game's on sale on Amazon, 39.99 (20.00 bucks off) and was even cheaper a day or two, 29.99 I believe it was, if anyone's interested in getting it.  

9. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 17:06 space captain

game was boring, and the story didnt make me want to finish it.. i grew up on john woo and hong kong noir, and this is more hackneyed rip-off garbage than anything i would consider an "homage"

ragdoll physics were impressive, as was the texture detail.. thats about it

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 16:38 Acleacius

Cutscene game from hell, broken lore and mostly scripted now (think max payne meets call of duty).

Blue had a link to this awhile ago Max Payne 3

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

7. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 15:47 Quinn

I envy the people who found the Max Payne feeling back in this game. I didn't. I had to remind myself the entire time this was the same person I loved so much in MP1&2 and that it was truly MP3 I was playing.

Honestly, though, to sound like the rude asshole I can be... I think those people are kinnnnda full of crap. They loved Max Payne, the loved this game too.. and because the gameplay was similar they can relate it back to the earlier games and actually give Rockstar the false credits that they managed to keep the soul of the original in this game. To me... Rockstar made another lame gang-bang story to appeal to the new-age kids who wanna be the coolest of da hood, yo.

As for Max Payne's MP... I personally can't handle that much testosteron. "He killed you twice! Hit V to fuck him up! Ahh too bad, he fucked you up again and now he feels like the coolest in da hood, yo!" Well fuck you. Like I said.. can't handle that type of bs. Too old for it.

Overall? Max Payne 3 is forgettable. So very.. very forgettable. Such a shame..

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

6. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 14:33 Wowbagger_TIP

PHJF wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 13:58:
Haven't managed to slog my way through the campaign yet. Having a story-driven game is fine and all... if the story doesn't suck. All these Michael Mann cutscenes are fucking pointless.
I finished the campaign last weekend. I liked the story, and I think it still felt very much like Max Payne. I didn't even mind the cutscenes all that much, although I wish the option to skip would work more often. I kept getting the "still loading" message all the freaking time, even though cutscenes that were a few minutes long.

The only things that I really don't like are the way it constantly screws with you by switching your active weapon after a cutscene ends. I can understand it sometimes when it's about to start one of those bullet-time scenarios, but it does it all the damn time, even after it drops you into the middle of a clusterfuck.

Oh, and I want my grenades and molotovs back!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 13:58 PHJF

Haven't managed to slog my way through the campaign yet. Having a story-driven game is fine and all... if the story doesn't suck. All these Michael Mann cutscenes are fucking pointless.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 13:23 Parallax Abstraction

Great, now the rampant hackers can level up even faster!

I kid only kind of. The multiplayer in this is actually very good, especially the Gang Wars mode but the amount of cheating going on was horrible the last time I played. Guys getting single kills from across the map with a pistol and having the paper cutout show you getting hit in the leg, things of that nature. Rockstar said they were working on it so I hope they can stamp it out. I'll probably give it another shot this weekend and see if it's improved.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 12:20 gobehz

Yes  

2. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 10:51 Techie714 ©

Well I personally thought MP3 was one of the best SP games I've played since the new Deus Ex. It really reminded me of a great Michael Mann/Miami Vice story driven narrative. Highly recommend to people that like games with a heavy story focus. As far as the MP goes, I played it for about an hour & thought it was "ok". Nothing really ground breaking although Rockstar has added some interesting elements like bullet time to the MP & it's pretty well executed. But overall it didn't hold my interest all that much.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 10:46 Elessar

Anyone have an opinion on whether the MP is fun in this or not?  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo