Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Summer Sale Confirmed

The annual summer sale on Steam has become a significant enough event that there have been murmurs of concern from the gaming community because Valve hasn't been talking about it. A post to the Steam Users' Forums by Valve's Mike Blaszczak should offer the necessary reassurance: "We are planning a sale sometime this summer. Hope that helps!" Thanks VG247 via GameTrailers.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 7, 2012, 10:55 gsilver

Jerykk wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:26:
What exactly is the "sweet price" for SR3? I think it's been on sale for as low as $15 before.
I'll pass on SR3 at *any* pricepoint (not because it's bad, but because if I'm lucky, I can play one game per month) but for me, anything over $10 usually doesn't warrant consideration.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Origin sales are irrelevant. Jul 6, 2012, 21:56 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:24:
Therefore bashing EA for not having a sale on Origin is pointless and just an empty excuse to bash EA.

I think you're missing his point. He's arguing that it's a stupid business move on EA's behalf to not have these sales on Origin. Discounting games through Amazon is all well and good, except Amazon gets a 30% cut from each sale. If these discounts were Origin-exclusive, EA would be getting 100% profit from each sale. In addition, people would have greater incentive to install and actually use Origin. Steam's discounts are the primary cause of its success. EA would do well to learn from this if they want Origin to succeed.
Yeah, thats one of the big reasons.

In fact, wasn't that EA's main reason to have stuff on origin in the first place? So they could claim all the profit from it? (well that and have more control, such as their ToS that says if you don't use a game for a year or two they WILL not may but WILL remove it from your account).

Because if they don't care about giving up 30%, they might as well stick with steam, thats about what steam takes.

56. Re: Origin sales are irrelevant. Jul 6, 2012, 21:21 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:24:

I think you're missing his point. He's arguing that it's a stupid business move on EA's behalf to not have these sales on Origin. Discounting games through Amazon is all well and good, except Amazon gets a 30% cut from each sale. If these discounts were Origin-exclusive, EA would be getting 100% profit from each sale. In addition, people would have greater incentive to install and actually use Origin. Steam's discounts are the primary cause of its success. EA would do well to learn from this if they want Origin to succeed.

On the other hand, Origin is still buggy. Out of the blue all of my adverts started appearing in Cyrillic.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

55. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 21:20 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:26:

What exactly is the "sweet price" for SR3? I think it's been on sale for as low as $15 before.

$15 is as low as I've seen it. Given how new it is and how critically acclaimed, I don't think you'll see it cheaper this year.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

54. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 20:26 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 18:41:
I still need Saints Row 3 to hit the sweet price. Other than that, eh, I guess I may pick up Syndicate if it comes on cheap. Not sure there's a ton of others I'm interested in, but once the sale hits I'm sure I'll buy 20 more games...

Creston

53. Re: Origin sales are irrelevant. Jul 6, 2012, 20:24 Jerykk

EA may very well be segregating its digital sales efforts by reserving Origin as its "premium" sales platform for its own games in an effort not to devalue the brand names of its games while leaving the heavily discounted sales to third-parties like Amazon. And, whether you think that is a wise marketing strategy or not, as a game consumer you shouldn't care because you can still get your EA games on the cheap from the third-parties. Therefore bashing EA for not having a sale on Origin is pointless and just an empty excuse to bash EA.

52. Origin sales are irrelevant. Jul 6, 2012, 19:54 hb3d

Dev wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:40:
They should run awesome summer sales RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK on ORIGIN before valve starts theirs.
To a game consumer though what the hell difference does it make? If he can get his EA games inexpensively from digital distributors like Amazon game downloads and Gamersgate which regularly have heavily discounted sales on EA games, it doesn't make any difference. Game codes from both of those distributors can even be redeemed on Origin to download the games if that is what the customer wants.

EA may very well be segregating its digital sales efforts by reserving Origin as its "premium" sales platform for its own games in an effort not to devalue the brand names of its games while leaving the heavily discounted sales to third-parties like Amazon. And, whether you think that is a wise marketing strategy or not, as a game consumer you shouldn't care because you can still get your EA games on the cheap from the third-parties. Therefore bashing EA for not having a sale on Origin is pointless and just an empty excuse to bash EA.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 20:11.

51. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 19:40 Dev

hb3d wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:03:
Dev wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 18:42:
Actually you are right, they SHOULD take a hint. They should run awesome summer sales RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK before valve starts theirs. That way they can take advantage of people who are wanting to jump on steam sales....But EA is just too slow to react and their idea of a good sale is something stupid like 30%.
Actually EA is doing exactly that with Amazon game downloads this past week. Some of the EA deals that were scheduled to start on Monday are even being pushed up to today by EA to get the jump on the weekend.

Buy, hey never let something the facts get in the way of an EA rant.

Let me clarify:
They should run awesome summer sales RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK on ORIGIN before valve starts theirs.
Thats what I meant although I didn't say so, my bad.

And yes, I know amazon is running sales, they are actually running quite a few steam sales as well as some EA/origin ones.

50. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 19:32 hb3d

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:22:
I just checked the Origin store and couldn't see anything on sale.
Which part of "Amazon Game Downloads" in my post did you not read? Looks like all of it.

There's no sales section
By the way I'm no fan of Origin, but you really should take off your blinders or wipe the steam from your glasses if you can't see the "deals" button on the right side of the Origin website which leads to the current sales. Since you are British, I also would not be surprised if you didn't see the July 4th sales which are listed on the deals page. Yes, the sales may suck compared to Amazon's, but they are still there.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 20:16.

49. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 19:22 theyarecomingforyou

hb3d wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:03:
Actually EA is doing exactly that with Amazon game downloads this past week. Some of the EA deals that were scheduled to start on Monday are even being pushed up to today by EA to get the jump on the weekend.

I just checked the Origin store and couldn't see anything on sale. Part of that might be because I'm in the UK but most of it is because the store is incredibly poorly laid out. There's no sales section, an incredibly limited "New Releases" section (lists 7 games with no prices) and virtually every game on the store is from EA. In fact even when they had a previous sale for up to 87.5% off I had to scour multiple sections sorted into no logical order to discover which games were discounted.

It's honestly not worth my time, especially given that Origin has an inferior client to Steam, a poor selection of games and most of them are way, way, way over priced. I mean, 65 / $100 for the special edition of SimCity? I've never seen a game for that much on Steam. Even the regular version if 45 / $70 - again, I've never seen a game cost that much on Steam.

So yeah, EA is still running around like a headless chicken when it comes to operating Origin. They haven't had a single sale that even comes close to what Valve offers. As soon as EA offers a better service, at competitive / better prices, with a competitive / better selection of games and stop insulting gamers at every opportunity then yeah, I'll pay attention. Until then, let the EA bashing continue. Allthumbsup

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

48. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 19:08 hb3d

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 18:41:
I guess I may pick up Syndicate if it comes on cheap.
Syndicate is still on sale for $15 at Amazon. I doubt it will get any cheaper than that anytime soon, and it definitely won't be in the Steam sale since it is not on Steam.

47. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 19:03 hb3d

Dev wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 18:42:
Actually you are right, they SHOULD take a hint. They should run awesome summer sales RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK before valve starts theirs. That way they can take advantage of people who are wanting to jump on steam sales....But EA is just too slow to react and their idea of a good sale is something stupid like 30%.

46. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 18:45 Wolfen

This waiting for the Summer sale has really made me hold onto some money for a while now lol.  

45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 18:42 Dev

smg77 wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:33:
EA should take a hint. Pulling your games off Steam to force people to use your spyware-riddled downloader isn't the way to compete with Valve.
Actually you are right, they SHOULD take a hint. They should run awesome summer sales RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK before valve starts theirs. That way they can take advantage of people who are wanting to jump on steam sales. Some might even buy stuff on origin instead of steam if the price is low enough.

But EA is just too slow to react and their idea of a good sale is something stupid like 30%.

44. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 18:41 Creston

I still need Saints Row 3 to hit the sweet price. Other than that, eh, I guess I may pick up Syndicate if it comes on cheap. Not sure there's a ton of others I'm interested in, but once the sale hits I'm sure I'll buy 20 more games...

Creston

43. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 18:37 Dev

Ratty wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:19:
But I'm pretty bored lately so I think I'll pick up: Portal 2, Serious Sam 3
Didn't each of those go down to like $5 on previous sales?

CrimsonPaw wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 17:45:
C'mon Fallout 3 GOTY for under $10!
Pretty sure they've done that and new vegas too in past sales, so I'd expect them to do it again.

42. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 17:45 CrimsonPaw

C'mon Fallout 3 GOTY for under $10! BTW, Saints Row 3 is by far my favorite of the series.  
~~Crim~~

41. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 17:28 El Pit

reisub wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:30:
I've promised myself I won't buy a single game.

So have I. Therefore, I'm going to buy MULTIPLE games!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

40. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 16:19 deqer

linfosoma wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:10:
Is it sad that all I want from this sale is the DLC for Arma II
lol. i guess you'll really be sad if that's the one thing that does NOT go on sale.

39. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 16:18 briktal

Rhino wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:12:
I didn't realize that there was much in the way of significant concern that it wasn't going to happen; but still nice to see some sort of confirmation and smart to do so to reduce the number of rumours that will run about. Looking forward to it, not just for reduced prices, but also because I just find the these sorts of things fun.

Some people were getting concerned because the summer sales have started in the last week of June in the past and it's past July 4.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo