Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Infographic Jul 6, 2012, 20:31 Jim

Bet wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 17:16:
20,000 years is not when the dinosaurs were here, wtf.

Bad use of dino. Bad. Unless...ignoring science...

Heh, that's the first thing I noticed too. Reminds me of a recent trip I took to La Brea, where their oldest fossil was around 32,000 old ago and they have a sign specifically saying that "no, we do not have dinosaurs"

Maybe the people that created the infographic were part of the "young earth" movement or whatever it is called.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Infographic Jul 6, 2012, 17:16 Bet

20,000 years is not when the dinosaurs were here, wtf. It would take 8 years steady to reach back to dinosaur time equivalently in that infographic damn it, not a single day.

Bad use of dino. Bad. Unless...ignoring science...

14. Vimeo Jul 6, 2012, 16:25 jdreyer

I don't understand why they would care and make such an effort to prevent people from downloading? It's better for Vimeo if people DL once and watch locally, since Vimeo saves on bandwidth. Or is it that they lose on ad revenue and page clicks if people DL it?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 16:10 Tom

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:41:
You're really blowing this out of proportion. This isn't some big evil company forcing you to be spied on against your will, this is a big stupid company that thinks "cloud" is a buzzword people want and thinks it's a selling point. Remember when everything was suddenly "smart," even though it made no sense? Now everything is "cloud."

Yup, this is it exactly. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Unfortunately, there are other companies that are spying for profit and getting away with it, like ISPs, and it's not so simple to vote with your wallet there when they're the only game in town. Hopefully this incident and others like it will help raise awareness of such things and ultimately lead to harsh penalties for those who abuse their power and betray the trust of the people - government included.

Ah, who am I kidding? It's all downhill from here, right?

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 15:41 Beamer

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:50:
Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:45:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:33:
Cisco backpedals after uproar, drops cloud from default router setting.

Glad they reconsidered, though it never should have been forced on people to begin with. No way in hell I'd buy one of those...

I'm fine with them forcing it, I mean those routers are sold with that as a feature and if that's what they want that's what they want (I see some benefit to it, too, but, like, a marginal once-in-10-years kind of event.)

I'm just not cool with them rolling it out to people that had already been using the device prior. That's a drastic change. But people buying it now? It says on the box it's a cloud control, no big deal if it's the default - it's a selling point.

I'll stick with routers whose firmware I can replace, anyway. Probably need to replace my Linux powered Linksys (54GL?) but not for a while.

Does it say on the box Cloud control required/only interface? And that it is collecting your information as its being passed through?

Its one thing to mention a feature, its another when its the feature is the only thing you can use and that its spying on you

Spying? What do you think Cisco learns from this? What value could any of it have? That's nuts. They can't gain a single bit of information useful to them, they're too large to sell this info to anyone, and they can't gain anything your ISP doesn't have huge records on.

And it wasn't the only thing you could use, they've always had instructions on how to go back to non-cloud based.

You're really blowing this out of proportion. This isn't some big evil company forcing you to be spied on against your will, this is a big stupid company that thinks "cloud" is a buzzword people want and thinks it's a selling point. Remember when everything was suddenly "smart," even though it made no sense? Now everything is "cloud."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 14:22 NegaDeath

This guy does.

Yup still funny.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 14:05 Verno

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day, what kind of developer keeps all of his source files on a glorified warez engine?  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 13:52 NegaDeath

There was a local software developer here who had ALL of his files on Megaupload. All of them, no local copies or backups. So his entire business is now gone, and he was on TV telling people he didn't regret going cloud only.

Some people felt sorry for him. I think it took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 13:36 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:53:
The more companies push cloud stuff the more I resist. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Not at all. Some industry jagoffs get an idea that XYZ is the next big thing and all the rest of the unoriginal parrots have to follow along like lemmings. What do most actual consumers think however? They don't like it. Why would anyone want to give someone else control over something they've paid for? The cloud not only offers the consumer nothing but in fact works against their interests. Anything that's "cloud" anything I won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 13:00 Orogogus

Ratty wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:23:
3 different computers between work and home, 1 with Windows XP, 2 with Windows 7. And not one of them has ever been able to play any Vimeo videos. Neither MSIE or Firefox. What's up with that?

I guess the anti-downloading thing is why people seem to be using it more.

I had a problem where videos wouldn't play if I had my screen rotated to portrait instead of landscape, and it took me forever to track it down since I would never rotate that particular monitor into the normal position. So maybe odd resolutions cause it to bug out?

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 12:53 NegaDeath

The more companies push cloud stuff the more I resist. I guess I'm old fashioned.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 12:23 Ratty

3 different computers between work and home, 1 with Windows XP, 2 with Windows 7. And not one of them has ever been able to play any Vimeo videos. Neither MSIE or Firefox. What's up with that?

I guess the anti-downloading thing is why people seem to be using it more.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 11:50 Kitkoan

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:45:

Glad they reconsidered, though it never should have been forced on people to begin with. No way in hell I'd buy one of those...

I'm fine with them forcing it, I mean those routers are sold with that as a feature and if that's what they want that's what they want (I see some benefit to it, too, but, like, a marginal once-in-10-years kind of event.)

I'm just not cool with them rolling it out to people that had already been using the device prior. That's a drastic change. But people buying it now? It says on the box it's a cloud control, no big deal if it's the default - it's a selling point.

I'll stick with routers whose firmware I can replace, anyway. Probably need to replace my Linux powered Linksys (54GL?) but not for a while.

Does it say on the box Cloud control required/only interface? And that it is collecting your information as its being passed through?

Its one thing to mention a feature, its another when its the feature is the only thing you can use and that its spying on you

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 11:49 Mr. Tact

What the hell do they think they are doing? Why would a router company put in content related clauses? Did the moral majority get a controlling block of Cisco stock?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 10:45 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 10:33 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo