Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It took a while, but I finally got around to using some of those Naga Jolokia peppers we picked up, creating some especially hot chicken wings. I used one pepper in a batch of 36 wings along with the normal spices I would add, and the result was both incredibly hot and incredibly delicious. The peppers have a great quality to them besides the heat, and the wings hit that perfect level of *almost* too hot. Quite glorious, and since we'll have some spice loving guests over this weekend, I think I'll be making some more.

Ghost Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Shop Empire 2.
Links: Peter Jackson says Hobbit shooting is done. Thanks nin.
007 Exhibition Looks At Screen Spy As Style Icon.
2012 Wife Carrying World Championships. Thanks Morris.
Stories: "Spider-Man" Box-Office, Trilogy Plans. Thanks nin.
Lifeguard fired for saving drowning man.
Asia’s 5 Spiciest Cuisines.
Science: Here comes Skynet- Army drones almost ready to share sky with airlines.
Study: The ‘gateway drug’ is alcohol, not marijuana.
Media: A Brief History of Video Games.
Reporter Golfs Through Entire City Of Detroit.
Aerial Footage Of Fight Against Colorado Wildfires.
The Funnies: xkcd- Knights.
Follow-up: Fukushima- “A disaster ‘Made in Japan’”.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 23:20 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 18:12:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:01:

mmmmm...breasts-tes-ses...

BAD NIN BAD! Don't make me pull out the spray bottle again!

Is it Miley Cyrus spray? I hear that works against Raccoons, too!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 18:33 space captain

you know whats also a gateway drug? LSD-25

because it like, opens up the doors of perception, man!

Go forth, and kill!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 18:12 The Half Elf

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:01:

mmmmm...breasts-tes-ses...

BAD NIN BAD! Don't make me pull out the spray bottle again!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 17:21 PHJF

Well I made like five pounds of macaroni salad with fat free mayo (which isn't technically mayonnaise at all), crazy organic whole wheat elbow, the usual veggies and then jalapenos and banana peppers. I'm really digging healthy macaroni salad this summer; this is the third batch so far.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 17:21 eRe4s3r

That's an Interesting read. I guess I am too old-school with coffee, I would never drink drip coffee (we call it machine coffee) because that always is even worse than a good espresso. I only take very mild coffee. If I go to others I often even pass on their coffee because by the heavens, I drank some coffee in some places that would make perfect acid replacement. (My favorite coffee mixture is like a mellow breeze, compared to that)  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 17:12 Cutter

Espresso vs Coffee

I like a good cup of joe but anymore than 2 back to back and I start to feel really wired whereas a few espressos, lattes, etc don't leave me twitchy. I generally drink tea all the time anyway. It's always good to get your Jean Luc Picard on.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 17:08 RailWizard

Well then. All you non-partakers feel free to leave all your weed and hard liquor by my gateway, I shall see that it is properly disposed of.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 16:41 eRe4s3r

Hehe

but yeah, espresso is really a whole other quality of intensity. Since you press the caffeine out the concentration is higher, I only ground coffee beans and then tinge them into hot water with one of these metal coffee capsule things (no idea what they are called) for a certain amount of time, the coffee is I would guess what most people would consider very mild.

I always drink a bit of water after each coffee, and so far it seems to have prevented all ill effects. I guess dilution really does work ^^

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 16:29 nin

Fuck beer! Gimmie my gin!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 16:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:39:
I can't imagine a life without the grape and the spirits. It would be a sad and agonizing existence to be sure. A good wine or cocktail really enhances food.

Yeah, I'm the same way with beer. And since the deregulation in the US 30 years ago and the explosion of microbreweries, there has been an embarrassment of high quality beer for sale. Among my favorite brewers: Fat Tire, Kona Brewery (Coconut beer!), Sierra Nevada (Barleywine Ale!), Deschutes, and of course Sam Adams. And I love the trend toward variety packs, so I can grab one I'm in the mood for. I only have one or two a day, but I have noticed it has affected my waistline.

Cheers! Drinkers

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 16:04 kanniballl

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:54:
Pssssshhh... Coffee has absolutely no additive qualities, I drink 6 mugs a day, I can stop instantly and don't even feel different (I do it once every year for 6 weeks). I also have to laugh at people claiming coffee keeps you awake

I don't drink coffee... the only thing I might have semi-regularly is coffee-flavored ice cream.

However, after my first kidney stone I pretty much fasted Caffeine drinks entirely for WELL over 2 years. No sodas, no coffee, no chocolate, only vanilla ice cream (if that)

One day, after some 3AM support calls, I decided to have a couple of those mini cold Esspresso cans from Starbucks to keep me awake.

I went to the company doctor a little while later. My heart was beating fast enough that I was getting worried. I didn't know if it was the drink, stress at work, etc.

Since then I try to have a little bit every now and then so my body remains "used to it" Best I can figure, I was so de-sensitized to caffeine that 2 of those little buggers really had an effect on me.

Still though... no coffee, only a rare soda.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:54:
Even though I am German I absolutely hate the taste of beer.

Wow, isn't that grounds for deportation over there?

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 15:54 eRe4s3r

Pssssshhh... Coffee has absolutely no additive qualities, I drink 6 mugs a day, I can stop instantly and don't even feel different (I do it once every year for 6 weeks). I also have to laugh at people claiming coffee keeps you awake, I only drink coffee because it tastes good and because it's hot though I am very peculiar about the beans used and how they are used in the preparation. And I freely alternate between coffee and water. Thats basically the 2 things I drink, coffee, and water ;p

I don't touch alcohol except in the most exceptional circumstances, new year, birthday, and xmas (if family insists). But what you will probably find hilarious, I can make a superb fruit punch (like in a huge bowl with actual fruit and stuff) and that is the only thing I drink/eat with serious brandy in it simply because it tastes extremely good if the dosage is perfect (brandy does not constitute more than 5% of it though, the rest is water and fruit stuffs). So far I haven't found a single wine that tasted good to me though, and this punch is a once a year affair ;p

I would never drink a beer in the evening though. Even though I am German I absolutely hate the taste of beer.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 15:39 Cutter

I can't imagine a life without the grape and the spirits. It would be a sad and agonizing existence to be sure. A good wine or cocktail really enhances food.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 14:39 Mr. Tact

Personally, I think caffeine is THE gateway drug!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 14:26 kanniballl

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:46:
Hence the only thing a thinking human can and should do, is reject alcohol

I really can't stand the stuff. I only have maybe 4 drinks a year.

The only time I ever really have one is when I'm at a party or something and am expected to hit the dance floor.

I HATE dancing, and I SUCK at it. But a shot of whisky loosens me up enough that I don't care as much.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 12:46 eRe4s3r

Hence the only thing a thinking human can and should do, is reject alcohol  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 12:03 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:35:
What happens to the chickens once they remove their wings? Im serious, here in Europe we dont really have a culture of eating chicken wings by themselves. Although you might find them in certain shops and markets, but basically when you buy chicken you buy the whole bird or you dont buy anything at all

They actually used to cut them off and use them for slurry and such as they figured no one would want to eat the wings. Then some guy got the bright idea to turn them into bar food and the rest is history as it were. However in any supermarket/butcher you can buy the whole bird or whatever parts you want of it individually.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 11:44 kanniballl

Misread the original post. Never mind

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 11:50.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 11:44 MattyC

Interesting. Other than kimchi I haven't had much spicy Korean (though I live in the US). I guess Korean BBQ sauce is usually fairly spicy as BBQ sauce goes. Still, I wouldn't have thought Koreans would have been that into heat. The more you know I guess.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 11:31 Jivaro

Why would anyone believe that if there is such a thing as a "gateway drug" it would be anything other then the single most popular and legal drug on the market? Alcohol is in nearly every home and a large part of nearly every culture in some way.

It doesn't take much in the way of critical thinking or intelligence to figure that out. That said, the alcohol industry and the politicians that take their money have done a very good job over the years of convincing many people otherwise.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 12:15.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo