Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 "Matches" Plans

The Battlefield Blog announces details on a new "matches" feature coming in the future to Battlefield 3 (thanks BF3Blog). Here's a bit on what these matches will bring to the military shooter sequel:

We’re taking the next step in advancing online competitive play in the Battlefield 3 community. The “Matches” feature will allow players to coordinate competitive multiplayer sessions with their friends and squad members. Battlefield 3 players will be able to select the time, server, game settings, and roster for their Matches creating a controlled and definitive environment for competitive play.

Players will be able to coordinate Matches for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 through the Battlelog. To coordinate a Match a player must be actively renting a dedicated server. Once a dedicated server has been selected the Match host can set the Match name, start time, game mode, team size, and map rotations.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 22:34 StreetPreacher

I'd rather see bot support for co-op play about 100x more than this.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 17:43 toT

None of this would even be necessary if you could download and run your own dedicated server, like in the good-ol-days. I know they make money by renting the servers instead, but it also seems to cause them to have to do a lot of extra work that is only necessary because you can't just download the damn server and go. I wouldn't surprise me if this whole scheme is just break even for them once you add in the added developer costs and support headaches and the like.  

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 10:17 ItBurn

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:15:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 09:19:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 22:53:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 21:44:
All these updates sound great. Too bad BF3 punkbuster servers freeze my computer.

have you tried a usb sound card/headset or something other than the onboard audio of your computer? BFBC2 and BF3 both have issues with freezing because of a nasty interaction between punkbuster and realtek drivers in certain configurations.

No, I don't have either of those and after spending something like 20 hours trying to fix this, I think that asking me to get new hardware is pushing it. :p I don't even have realtek drivers.

I think it's a good thing he didn't ask for you to get new hardware then.

Punkbuster and EA did, in support, which is hilarious.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 10:15 HorrorScope

ItBurn wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 09:19:
All these updates sound great. Too bad BF3 punkbuster servers freeze my computer.

have you tried a usb sound card/headset or something other than the onboard audio of your computer? BFBC2 and BF3 both have issues with freezing because of a nasty interaction between punkbuster and realtek drivers in certain configurations.

No, I don't have either of those and after spending something like 20 hours trying to fix this, I think that asking me to get new hardware is pushing it. :p I don't even have realtek drivers.

I think it's a good thing he didn't ask for you to get new hardware then.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 09:19 ItBurn

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 09:08 Verno

I hate bitching about a value add but the game needed this kind of stuff at launch. It's also difficult to take competitive matches seriously in this game when they aren't doing anything about cheats. It's extremely frustrating that they give such a huge level of control and trust to the client, this is one of the few MP games I've seen where you can bust it wide open to the point where it feels like you've got a Game Genie hooked up to an old SNES.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 09:19.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 09:02 necrosis

Yeah its a problem PunkBuster refuses to address. The issue has been around for YEARS.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 08:43 deqer

"We’re taking the next step "

The "next step" ??? My god. It's not a "next step." It's something your QA department would've caught, and therefore something you would've done before launching your game.

God, you people make me sick...

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 6, 2012, 00:14 DangerDog

ASeven wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 22:46:
I'm playing the closed beta and I can tell you right now that this game will be much better than Frontlines and Homefront. In fact Ravaged reminds me of an improved Desert Combat/BF2 game in a post-apocalyptic setting. It has a ton of bugs right now but if they iron it out this game will make up for Frontlines and Homefront.

Hell, I can see the potential for Ravaged to be a truer sequel to BF2 than BF3 is.

I've heard that all before from the people who were beta testers for Frontlines and Homefront. The beta testers were so enthusiastic that the game was going to be the next "Battlefield" game, but I was able to play those games in beta too and I felt like I said - like they were just semi-high quality total conversion mods. The gunplay was the weakest aspect which should never be the case for a "shooter", my advice would be they need to start there and make the animation and sound really connect you to your weapon. DICE takes a lot of shit for what they do (a lot of it deserving) but they do a good job with the through the gun experience.

I want to believe but other than Desert Combat they haven't remotely impressed me since.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 22:53 Mordecai Walfish

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 22:46 ASeven

DangerDog wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 22:31:
ASeven wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 22:17:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 22:02:
Flak wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 21:32:
Still a fun game, but who is Dice kidding, no spectator mode/battlerecorder, horrible netcode, casual community, BF3 is about as far from competitive gaming as it gets, sad to say because BF1942 had a presence in both CAL and CPL back in the day.

Even Desert Combat.

And the devs of DC are making Ravaged.

which will suck, just like Frontlines fuel of war and Homefront. It uses the unreal engine, list all the successful multiplayer games that use that engine... *crickets chirp*

the games they've made come off more like total conversion mods of unreal tournament than professional AAA quality commercial titles, I find them lacking in just about every department, animation, sound, gameplay. They really can't seem to capture a solid through the gun experience.

I'm playing the closed beta and I can tell you right now that this game will be much better than Frontlines and Homefront. In fact Ravaged reminds me of an improved Desert Combat/BF2 game in a post-apocalyptic setting. It has a ton of bugs right now but if they iron it out this game will make up for Frontlines and Homefront.

Hell, I can see the potential for Ravaged to be a truer sequel to BF2 than BF3 is.

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 22:31 DangerDog

ASeven wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 22:17:
Still a fun game, but who is Dice kidding, no spectator mode/battlerecorder, horrible netcode, casual community, BF3 is about as far from competitive gaming as it gets, sad to say because BF1942 had a presence in both CAL and CPL back in the day.

Even Desert Combat.

which will suck, just like Frontlines fuel of war and Homefront. It uses the unreal engine, list all the successful multiplayer games that use that engine... *crickets chirp*

the games they've made come off more like total conversion mods of unreal tournament than professional AAA quality commercial titles, I find them lacking in just about every department, animation, sound, gameplay. They really can't seem to capture a solid through the gun experience.

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 22:24 DangerDog

e-sports is such a bad joke  

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 22:17 ASeven

Even Desert Combat.

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 22:02 Sepharo

Even Desert Combat.

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 21:51 ASeven

So where's the battlerecorder and first person spectate, necessary for a competitive environment?

Yeah, same shitty DICE. Too little, too late.

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 21:44 ItBurn

5. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 21:37 born2expire

Yay! Sad replacement to battlerecorder.  

4. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 21:32 Flak

Sepharo wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 20:27:
Note to EA: This is something you launch with.

Admittedly I'm not up on the BF3 competitive community but my wild ass guess is that it is nearly non-existent.

It pretty much is non-existent. There was a competitive scene at launch but it fizzled out quickly because to begin with you couldn't even set servers to private. I'm not sure how this mode makes any sense at all. People who play competitively already run private servers and don't need their hands held by some probably dysfunctional battlelog scheduling system.

If DICE spent even a fraction of the time working on the subpar netcode as opposed to coming up with these lame, gimmicky ideas that no one even asks for or wants (or if the community does ask for it, we get a really watered down version of it 6 months post-launch, IE this stupid mode), this game might actually be playable at a level that makes competition a reality. But as it stands, who wants to play this game competitively when you go behind cover to reload but die because of the compensating lag, kind of kills it.

3. Re: Battlefield 3 Jul 5, 2012, 20:54 Nighthawk

If you are actively renting a dedicated server can't you already set up a private match that only you and your friends can connect too?  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo