Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE

Gamereactor UK offers some quotes from back at E3 where they caught up with Tim "Sam" Willits, creative director at id Software. When asked about RAGE, he reassures them there "may" be an announcement soon regarding the shooter: "We have a few things that we may announce soon. We haven't forgotten about the title." Thanks VG247.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 9, 2012, 14:51 Total-Khaos

id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE

Too bad their customers have though. Maybe they didn't get the memo?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 8, 2012, 13:02 Dades

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:29:
I wasn't insinuating anything. When I insult somebody I'm very direct. Example: Upgrading in preparation for Windows 8, which appears to be a bigger trainwreck in the making than Vista or Windows ME, is stupid.

Marketing susceptible, brand follower type.

56. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 8, 2012, 10:30 theyarecomingforyou

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 19:29:
I wasn't insinuating anything. When I insult somebody I'm very direct. Example: Upgrading in preparation for Windows 8, which appears to be a bigger trainwreck in the making than Vista or Windows ME, is stupid.
Fair enough, though I've been using Windows 8 as my primary operating system for months and have found it to be excellent. In fact I'm already using Storage Spaces, which allows you to configure your drives for redundancy (if a drive fails I don't lose any data). And it has improvements for multi-monitor setups, Task Manager, Explorer, performance (a recent review puts it ahead of Win7 in almost every area of performance), file transfers, the Start screen (despite the criticism it's a lot more efficient), etc. I have no interest in Metro apps and don't like some of the changes (like the charms bar) but overall it offers a lot of value to me, especially given the incredibly low upgrade price.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

55. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 7, 2012, 02:48 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 01:22:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:17:
Beelzebud wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:12:
[...] a piss poor excuse for multi-player. That last one really gets me because these guys invented deathmatch.

Well Doom 3 came out 8 years ago and Quake 3 twelve ago. That should've tipped you off long before Rage ever showed up.

Not sure how Q3 fits into this equation. Q3 is id's best multiplayer game, bar none. Many would argue that it's their best game overall.

Sorry I wasn't very clear with that thought there. Doom 3 had bad multiplayer. id has been making bad multiplayer for 8 years. The last time id made good multiplayer (probably best in the industry) was twelve years ago.

54. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 7, 2012, 01:22 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 20:17:
[...] a piss poor excuse for multi-player. That last one really gets me because these guys invented deathmatch.

Well Doom 3 came out 8 years ago and Quake 3 twelve ago. That should've tipped you off long before Rage ever showed up.

Not sure how Q3 fits into this equation. Q3 is id's best multiplayer game, bar none. Many would argue that it's their best game overall.

Example: Upgrading in preparation for Windows 8, which appears to be a bigger trainwreck in the making than Vista or Windows ME, is stupid.

This. I don't have a problem with people keeping things installed. "Upgrading" to Windows 8, on the other hand, seems completely retarded. Everything I've seen and read of 8 has been bad. Couple this with the fact that every other Windows release (95, ME, Vista) has sucked and there's even less incentive to upgrade. Unless DX12 is an 8-exclusive (which wouldn't surprise me, given MS's shitty business practices), I see no reason to ever upgrade. Hell, Windows 9 will likely be released before DX12 becomes relevant.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2012, 01:29.

53. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 20:17 Sepharo

52. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 20:12 Beelzebud

Here is a shocking revelation: We all use our computers slightly differently! Holy fuck!

Anyway, did anyone whose been coming to sites like Blues since the 90's, ever think you'd see a time where id Software was in the state it is now? I sure as hell didn't. I never thought I'd see an id game that focused on consoles, had no mod support, no Linux client, and a piss poor excuse for multi-player. That last one really gets me because these guys invented deathmatch.

My prediction: This will also mark the end of id making their engines open source.

51. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 19:29 Mad Max RW

50. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 18:38 frag.machine

Willits is right: one should learn and never forget about his mistakes.  

49. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 18:31 Dades

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 17:19:
Not even trolling.. but a few weeks ago I posted this statement, and I'll say it again:
I never knew that game had even released. --that's how little I heard (possibly remembered) about it from all the gamers/game sites.

There were some pretty upset folks due to all of the technical problems surrounding its release, that's mainly how I found out about it. After hearing all of the negative attention I decided to skip it.

48. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 17:34 theyarecomingforyou

Dades wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 17:08:
He didn't insult you personally anywhere in his reply.
He insinuated that my computer was not "clean" or "fully functional" and that I had "hundreds of gigabytes of crap" on my computer, which is clearly a backdoor insult.

If you want to fill 15TB with movies and games you will likely never play then it doesn't really affect us.
I'm sorry but I object to people complaining about having to redownload a game when if they'd have simply left it installed it wouldn't have been an issue. Surely it's a much greater waste to have to redownload games on multiple occasions than simply not deleting them?

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:45:
I'm not insulting you. Sorry if you took it so personally.
Your insinuation that he is just too poor to measure up is the closest thing to a personal insult levied so far.
Yeah, I apologise to Mad Max RW for that as I was just venting. I just get annoyed when I'm basically accused of not knowing how to maintain a computer when I choose to keep all my games installed for convenience. At the end of the day if I want to play RAGE again then I simply double click the game in Steam to launch it, versus having to wait for it to download (and slowing down my interest connection in the process).

As I said, storage is incredibly cheap. I don't see the advantage of constantly uninstalling and reinstalling games. The whole reason I use Steam is for convenience and that is... inconvenient.

47. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 17:28 netnerd85

I'm looking forward to anything RAGE, great game.  

46. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 17:19 ColoradoHoudini

Not even trolling.. but a few weeks ago I posted this statement, and I'll say it again:
I never knew that game had even released. --that's how little I heard (possibly remembered) about it from all the gamers/game sites.

45. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 17:08 Dades

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 13:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 09:34:
Some people like myself make a habit of keeping their computers clean and fully functioning at all times. Leaving hundreds of gigabytes of crap on your computer is the equivalent of piling more garbage onto an overflowing trashcan.
I don't understand why you feel the need to insult me. Having lots of games installed does not qualify as "crap". If you can't afford enough storage then fair enough, but don't insult those of us who can. I have over 13TB of storage in my current system (I'm planning to upgrade for the release of Windows 8) and it would be ridiculous for me to not use that space.

He didn't insult you personally anywhere in his reply. Your insinuation that he is just too poor to measure up is the closest thing to a personal insult levied so far. If you want to fill 15TB with movies and games you will likely never play then it doesn't really affect us. Calling it wasteful isn't personally insulting you though, especially when you put things like that into a signature or post them on a public forum. You do these things for attention so attention is what you got, not all of it is going to be positive.

44. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 15:45 Mad Max RW

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 13:48:
I don't understand why you feel the need to insult me. Having lots of games installed does not qualify as "crap". If you can't afford enough storage then fair enough, but don't insult those of us who can. I have over 13TB of storage in my current system (I'm planning to upgrade for the release of Windows 8) and it would be ridiculous for me to not use that space.

I'm not insulting you. Sorry if you took it so personally. I tried explaining how pretty much since birth I was taught anything left unused on a computer's hard drive should be scrubbed clean, guaranteeing optimal performance . No matter how much bigger storage capacities get that is one habit I will never change.

43. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 13:48 theyarecomingforyou

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 09:34:
Some people like myself make a habit of keeping their computers clean and fully functioning at all times. Leaving hundreds of gigabytes of crap on your computer is the equivalent of piling more garbage onto an overflowing trashcan.

42. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 09:58 wtf_man

Since I never played it, I can't formulate a valid opinion on whether it is a good game or not.

I can say that from the gameplay videos I have seen, I pretty much have no interest. It MIGHT be a decent $5-$10 bargain binner to pick up... but that's about it, to me.

I think they went the wrong direction as far as a new IP goes. Post Apocalyptic is getting as common as Zombie and WWII shooters. They should have gone for HELL as a new IP... as in the best levels of Doom 3 were the few that are set in HELL.

/shrug

41. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 09:34 Mad Max RW

Some people like myself make a habit of keeping their computers clean and fully functioning at all times. Leaving hundreds of gigabytes of crap on your computer is the equivalent of piling more garbage onto an overflowing trashcan. Both will result in bugs and then you have to clean the whole damn house out.  

40. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 09:29 ItBurn

I'm gonna go with the group and say, I wish they'd forget Rage. Bad game, it's as simple as that. There are as many critical technical issues as gameplay ones. Please ID, spend all your efforts on other things. Live and learn.  

39. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 08:44 theyarecomingforyou

PropheT wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 03:33:
There's no reason to spend the money on a 3TB drive or maintain current backups when you only use 1/3rd of the data on it (or less). I don't see any point in keeping around useless clutter that I'll never play just to say I have it, especially when I can just download it again later if for some reason I change my mind.
1) It doesn't cost much.
2) It means I can play any game, any time and without delay

Constantly uninstalling and reinstalling games just strikes me as a complete waste of time. And most people have less games on Steam than I do, so you'd be talking about much less than 1.3TB. I buy my games on Steam for convenience. It's not 1994 when hard-drives simply wouldn't cope with installing every game you own.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo