Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Patch Nears

Mojang offers details on an upcoming patch for Minecraft to update the indie construction game to version 1.3, saying this will be released on August 1st. They outline the good, bad, and ugly about the patch, and explain the long delay since the previous patch is due to underlying engine changes, saying they are "scared to push it to the public, but waiting even longer is not a solution." This Reddit thread has a full summary of the new version.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 11:50 Mr. Tact

Can you be more specific?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 11:49 Beelzebud

You guys missed my point. I wasn't talking about the game play having lack of direction. I'm fine with that. That's the point of the game.

My comment was about the actual development of the game. How many half-baked features still remain that they started, but never finished? That is the lack of direction I'm talking about.

7. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 09:12 Mr. Tact

I'm with nin -- the "lack of direction" is intentional and not a problem. If you are looking for a game with challenging combat against monsters -- this is not the game for you.  

6. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 09:10 Mr. Tact

Armengar wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 08:53:
I didnt like the exploding creepers that could decimate your "fortress" etc so stopped playing.
Uh, you do realize you can play in "Peaceful" mode and there are no hostile mobs, right? In creative mode you don't even have to collect the blocks for your building projects. Additionally, simply lighting all areas in a sufficient radius means you never see a hostile mob. I have a home/base which is about 200x200 blocks in size, open to the surrounding forest -- and I never see hostile mobs in the base because of abundant lighting.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 09:22.

5. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 08:53 Armengar

it went the opposite way for me. I used to like the randomness until they complicated it with things like needing to eat etc. I would just leave my game idling for extended periods (if I died from creepers then so what). I didnt like the exploding creepers that could decimate your "fortress" etc so stopped playing. Some people like it still but it has gotten too complicated for me personally.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

4. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 08:47 nin

So much potential, but a total lack of direction.

Some people love that openness, but it drives others nuts. I can see both sides to it, but I love the idea of "do whatever you want or build whatever you want" and I'm always amazed what people come up with.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 02:58 Beelzebud

Minecraft is an oddity, in that regard. So much potential, but a total lack of direction.

It does seem that the guys working on it now are a bit more serious about having a game plan, but Notch put the game in a state where it has a lot of half-baked ideas that never got fleshed out properly.

2. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 00:48 Silicon Avatar

I played a ton of Minecraft and then quit suddenly.

I think I was just playing because I really, really, really wanted it to be (or turn into) a really good Populous style game.

1. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 5, 2012, 23:58 Beelzebud

I'll bet right about now the guys currently working on it wish it wasn't based in Java.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo