Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 6, 2012, 10:18 wtf_man

Microsoft isn't going to have a sudden death in the enterprise by any means. Active Directory is still the most robust and 3rd party supported Directory services out there.

As for everything moving to outsourced cloud services... for a lot of companies and government agencies... that's impossible... there is confidential data that can't be put on someone else's storage and services. So while the coud may whittle down IT some, it won't eliminate IT shops in companies altogether. I kind of feel sorry for the Comp Sci graduate these days... getting a job will be tougher than ever, unless you move overseas. Anyway, my point is... the cloud has it's place... but at the same time you can't have critical or confidential data in the cloud.

As for the desktop... Windows 8 won't fly in the enterprise. The last thing the enterprise wants is users accessing an app store, and completely retraining users to use a kludgy interface for the mouse and keyboard. Users are not suddenly going to get windows 8 tablets to do their work. So, for the Enterprise... Windows 8 is a huge mistake... and will be skipped for the most part, like Vista was. As for Tablets, we've already deployed ipads with Mas360 for enterprise control, and we can virtualize apps with Citrix or VMWare... so I don't see our users having a sudden desire for Windows 8 tablets.

Anyway... I pretty much think Windows 8 will flop on the desktop, like Vista did. I'm not sure how well the tablets will be received... I would imagine that they are too late again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 6, 2012, 01:08 Mr. Tact

I'll need to check with my sister to be sure, but I think Intel still has this kind of competitive review system. Fortunately for her it doesn't appear (at least in the groups she has worked in) that Intel is overly stocked with intelligent, motivated people. So, making the top grade hasn't been that tough for her.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 5, 2012, 22:02 Cutter

Gee, do they mean like Steve Ballmer should have never been made CEO? The guy is an awesome salesman, I'll give him that. CEO material? No. Not even close.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 5, 2012, 21:00 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 20:22:
The kind of competitive review system talked about in this article are horrid. I've been in systems like that, they suck. Especially in a place like Microsoft, where you probably aren't getting hired unless you are stud already.

Microsoft might be down, but don't make the mistake of thinking they are out. Both IBM and Apple were at least as far down as MS, and came back strong. I actually have rooted against MS for a long time, these days I'm pretty ambivalent towards them. Whether they fade away, or eventually come back strong -- they'll be in the history books for centuries to come.

That culture has supposedly been wiped clean, though we'll see if it's true and whether it happened soon enough. Windows 8 is an enormous gamble, and I think it's a make-or-break (also believe it may be, like, 3 years too soon. Microsoft has been too soon before, usually too late, and overall rarely timed well.)

Not sure where they'll go from here at this point.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 5, 2012, 20:22 Mr. Tact

The kind of competitive review system talked about in this article are horrid. I've been in systems like that, they suck. Especially in a place like Microsoft, where you probably aren't getting hired unless you are stud already.

Microsoft might be down, but don't make the mistake of thinking they are out. Both IBM and Apple were at least as far down as MS, and came back strong. I actually have rooted against MS for a long time, these days I'm pretty ambivalent towards them. Whether they fade away, or eventually come back strong -- they'll be in the history books for centuries to come.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo