Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes

The Diablo III Website outlines a couple of hotfixes Blizzard rolled out yesterday for their action/RPG sequel. One of the two bullets mentions fixes for game and service crashes, and the other: "Fixed a bug that allowed players to earn additional stacks of Nephalem Valor or guaranteed item drops by killing multiple monsters simultaneously from the same Champion or Rare pack." There's also a new article on Magic Find Gear Swapping discussing how to deal with players swapping to gear that boosts their chances of finding magic items shortly before a kill. They say they do not have a problem with the practice, but they are seeking to address it due to player demand, leaving open the hope they will address other such complaints. There's more on that concept in a thread called End game solutions where community manager Bashiok admits that Blizzard misjudged the appeal of item hunting as an end game, and is looking to redress this with future updates beginning with the upcoming version 1.04 patch:

We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 8, 2012, 18:40 xXBatmanXx

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:54:
Elessar wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:45:
I felt the same way about TL1's music too. Sounded a lot like the Tristram theme in a cartoony world. I may have to just disable the music altogether because of how unfitting it is. It's great music, just doesn't jive with the game.

Oh and btw, I think the reason they delayed TL2's release was because they were revamping the skill system based on feedback like yours from the beta. Let's hope it works out.

My concern is that they are apparently revamping the skill tree, but they don't seem to be planning to beta test those changes before release. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It is my understanding that they didn't test anything past Act 1, which feels very polished.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 6, 2012, 10:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Elessar wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:45:
I felt the same way about TL1's music too. Sounded a lot like the Tristram theme in a cartoony world. I may have to just disable the music altogether because of how unfitting it is. It's great music, just doesn't jive with the game.

Oh and btw, I think the reason they delayed TL2's release was because they were revamping the skill system based on feedback like yours from the beta. Let's hope it works out.

My concern is that they are apparently revamping the skill tree, but they don't seem to be planning to beta test those changes before release. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

66. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 6, 2012, 10:45 Elessar

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

65. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 6, 2012, 09:31 Verno

TL2 is pretty fun but there is a lot of stuff that makes you kind of wonder what they were thinking. The music is great but it doesn't fit the cartoony environments and art design at all, it's very distracting. Ironically Diablo 3 had totally forgettable music that would have been a great fit for TL2 and TL2's music would be very fitting in Diablo 3. The skill tree implementation is weird, I don't know if this has changed yet but several of the things I tried were so weak (even with several points in them) that it was better to just spam your actual weapons.

On the other hand I do love attributes and building out my own dude. The overworld map addition was a big thing and really makes the game feel fleshed out now. The production values are improved enough to be noticeable, theres some voice acting and graphically the game looks better. From what I've played (with some modding) it will probably get a lot more mileage than Diablo 3.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

64. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 6, 2012, 08:29 Mr. Tact

Kajetan wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 04:58:
TL2 could be the game people expected from D3. A simple but clever H&S, with LAN-Support and open to modding for a decade of gaming fun.
From your lips to God's ears...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

63. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 6, 2012, 04:58 Kajetan

Cram wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 04:06:
They also made Hellgate: London. The original Diablo developers were not, are not, and will never be gods no matter how much some people on this site think they are in their attempts to bash today's Blizzard.
HGLs demise was caused by lack of proper project management, NOT by lack of talent. Look at Runic and you see, how much the former Flagship crew learned from their mistakes.

No, they are not gods. Not everything they do is pure gold and gaming awesomeness. But at last the people at Runic know what they are doing. This could change in time, but right now its looking good. TL2 could be the game people expected from D3. A simple but clever H&S, with LAN-Support and open to modding for a decade of gaming fun.

If not, well, we all wait for Grim Dawn & Path of Exile to carry our hopes

62. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 6, 2012, 04:06 Cram

Kastagir wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 14:33:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 05:30:
Nobody at Blizzards knows how to make a H&S worthy of the fame Blizz has in this genre. The people mainly responsible for D2 left long ago.

<ahem> And they're making...

They also made Hellgate: London. The original Diablo developers were not, are not, and will never be gods no matter how much some people on this site think they are in their attempts to bash today's Blizzard.

61. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 18:33 Julio

Kastagir wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 14:33:
And they're making Torchlight II, which will be out in a matter of weeks.

Here's to hoping that Torchlight 2 is worth playing for more than 2 weeks.

60. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 14:33 Kastagir

Kajetan wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 05:30:
Nobody at Blizzards knows how to make a H&S worthy of the fame Blizz has in this genre. The people mainly responsible for D2 left long ago.

<ahem> And they're making Torchlight II, which will be out in a matter of weeks. They seem much more deserving of my money than the makers of this crap.

59. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 14:11 Elessar

MadBoris wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:49:
In a related note, in terms of Online Only/F2P gone wrong...

It's been disappointing in recent years to watch game development almost cut in half, when half the team in development, oversight, testing is spending half it's resources and hours in a day, not on making the best game possible, but developing, incorporating, testing the most effective, reliable and secure monetizing interface and mechanic, in said game, to make people buy things consistently other than the "actual game" itself. Devs never seem to talk about that in the dev blogs or patch notes, a huge waste of time that the game actually needs.

What a waste of resources (only for the gamer) that takes away from real game development time.

It's become twisted.
Couldn't agree more man, well said.

58. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 13:49 MadBoris

Seriously, the fact people have to get excited over getting an item in an AH interface versus having it drop playing the fucking game, is just pathetic.

In a related note, in terms of Online Only/F2P gone wrong...

It's been disappointing in recent years to watch game development almost cut in half, when half the team in development, oversight, testing is spending half it's resources and hours in a day, not on making the best game possible, but developing, incorporating, testing the most effective, reliable and secure monetizing interface and mechanic, in said game, to make people buy things consistently other than the "actual game" itself. Devs never seem to talk about that in the dev blogs or patch notes, a huge waste of time that the game actually needs.

What a waste of resources (only for the gamer) that takes away from real game development time.

It's become twisted.

57. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 12:19 Elessar

rist3903 wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 13:38:
This morning, I picked up a lvl 51 ring, with 21minutes remaining in the auction, that I know was worth over 20 million gold along everyone elses up above, and I won it for 25 thousand gold. this ring alone will make my hell game playable, (100 STR, 120 VIT, Attack speed 6% , crit chance 4%, socketable)

Thats a killer ring, man. Grats on getting that.
YEAH TOTALLY AWESOME AMIRITE?! Seriously, the fact people have to get excited over getting an item in an AH interface versus having it drop playing the fucking game, is just pathetic.

56. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 11:48 Axis

Kajetan wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 11:03:
PHJF wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 10:32:
They were clearly dicking around the entire time. Just during the beta we saw that GIGANTIC paradigm shift in the skills/rune system, the kind of thing that should NEVER be happening so late in development.
But why? I know, never underestimate the Power of Stupid, but why? Was there a specific reason for this change other than "Guys, we were bored this morning, so we changed everything. Do you like it?"?

3 reasons.

1. They were lazy and embraced laziness.
2. They held off showing how lazy they were till they got some decent press about.
3. They knew all the stupid, uninformed, or blindly hopeful people would buy it regardless.

Yours truly,

Axis

55. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 11:03 Kajetan

They were clearly dicking around the entire time. Just during the beta we saw that GIGANTIC paradigm shift in the skills/rune system, the kind of thing that should NEVER be happening so late in development.
But why? I know, never underestimate the Power of Stupid, but why? Was there a specific reason for this change other than "Guys, we were bored this morning, so we changed everything. Do you like it?"?

54. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 10:47 RollinThundr

Like I've said for years, proper project management at Blizzard is, and has been a joke for a long time.

53. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 10:32 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

52. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 10:04 Verno

Yeah it makes you wonder. Looking back on Diablo 3 I was most disappointed with the following:

- poorly paced length and map randomization
- quality of loot
- Lower number of sets, uniques, etc.
- Inferno
- Power/skill progression being reversed
- Balance nerfing to accommodate the Auction Houses
- Online infrastructure providing zero tangible benefit to players, bots and cheats still heavily rampant.
- Many features of Diablo 2 removed without providing an equivalent

They've been actively working on the game since what...2006? Granted those were early concept/dev builds but it's still frustrating that despite all that time they didn't even manage to ship with feature parity to Diablo 2 or put the game through a proper public beta test.

51. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 09:39 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:29:
The game just needed actual play testing, less MMO influence and more time in the tank.
One does wonder, what Blizzard has done all these years? Was the dev team not competent enough? Or were there ordered changes from the company board, who just had this neat idea to maximize profits. Changes, which didnt fit into the original gameplay design so that everything has to be torn apart and hastily thrown together to meet certain release deadlines?

50. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 09:29 Verno

Yeah the loot is really boring in general. I can still remember a solid 10-15 memorable items from Diablo 2 and that's not going into runewords and other cool stuff. I can barely remember a few items from Diablo 3 and even then it's only because of how much I sold them to people for, not because I actually wanted to collect it.

Way too much emphasis on getting to level 60 and grinding loots. Diablo 2 worked because you got cool stuff at any level. Diablo 3 also has this weird progression system where you actually get weaker and lose more skill options as you level up which is just bizarre. Most ARPGs are all about collecting stuff and becoming powerful, not starting powerful then getting weaker as you collect things.

The game just needed actual play testing, less MMO influence and more time in the tank.

49. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 5, 2012, 08:45 Omni

I like Diablo 3 and play it a lot but I am looking more forward to Grim Dawn and Path of Exile now than I did before.

I wise blizzard would fix the balance issues (if it is a issue) with the loot. The other I got 2 set items that were so useless that they are really not worth being set items and same goes for legenary's.
2h axe ilvl 61 legenary with 300 dps that doesnt make any sense to me at all.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo