Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules

A new article on the ArenaNet Blog outlines "The Golden Rules" of Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMORPG sequel, saying every aspect of the game has been touched and shaped by one or more of them. They go into detail on each of the following precepts:

• Make the world come alive
  • Cooperation is key
  • Play the game, not the UI
  • Take risks
  • Do it well or don’t do it at all
  • Respect the player

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 20:48 NKD

Axis wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 19:47:
Cooperation is key. Often unnecessary and annoying in GW2, but key (whatever 'key' means).

I found that one especially amusing, given that GW2, so far, is the MMO that most encourages you to just disregard other players and do whatever you want. The game mechanics don't require you to even speak to another human being. You just wander into the area where they happen to be and swing your weapon a few times. No, you don't need to tank anything, or heal anyone. Just zerg zerg zerg.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 20:44 Steele Johnson

At the end of the day, it's just the same ol' "fetch x kill x" game that we all love so much.  

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 19:47 Axis

Revised for honesty and integrity:

Gw2 is a passionless moneygrab (just like D3!) GW2 has NONE of the character building gameplay that was the entire basis of GW1. We just kept the story alive and that was good enough to make you suckers buy it. Here's our golden rules:

Make the world come alive. We filled it with faddy mmo elements people expect to see. Things like dynamic quests filled with tons of graphics and animations!

Cooperation is key. Often unnecessary and annoying in GW2, but key (whatever 'key' means).

Play the game, not the UI. Because the game has almost nothing to configure - especially in the character development department. We want you absorbed in the things people love for the couple weeks so you'll praise the game and we got your money (and hopefully the others you told)!

Take risks - you guys, not us. We went with the "play it safe" mode.

Do it well or don’t do it at all. But this cost us money, so we're doing it despite it not done well. So fluff off!

Respect the player. This just sounded good. You'll note in our forums we completely disregard all the complaints about our terrible decisions with gameplay.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 19:27 Cutter

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 19:14:
Waiting for GW2 to come out is killing me!! I plan on testing the Mesmer and Guardian in the last BWE..as I think the Mesmer is getting severely undervalued by the fanbase..and might be the least-played class, so I wanna see what the lack of attention is all about.

Looking forward to the other starting areas as well. So far in the BWE's I've been VERY pleased.

I've got a 20 Mez and they still need work. Too glassy not enough cannon, but an interesting class to be sure. Guardians need a huge amount of love and haven't been well recieved by most when you look through its forum.

One major problem with the game - IMO - is that they've gone too far away from the classic archetypes making a class like the guardian pretty unnecessary so far. I'd like to see - and reasons needed for - a dedicated tank and healer class. You should still be able to do most things without them but they'd be nice to be key in dungeons and stuff.

So far I'm enjoying the ranger and the sorc the best.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 19:15 Alamar

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 15:08:
Co-op is indeed key. It's amazing how much more fun and cool your fellwo players are when they don't have to fight for the same mobs and resources. I'm still blown away by how helpful and friendly the vast majority of people are simply by using this model. It boggles the mind no one has done it long before now. And yes, let's get some more beta action happening asap!

Different Dev mindset. Blizzard devs actually like the player base at each others throats.

How times change (or not)...

I see Cutter's comment, and I thought he was talking about WoW... I remember those times, even years after people were bitching about the community...

Sure, people had to go that extra step, and actually interact with someone for half a second (to 'ninja invite') on a quest/quest-mob/rare, etc... But that's what WoW was to me... The massive of 10s groups.

So ya, it's nice that A-net is expanding on that model, just like WoW (and their playerbase) had done previously... Back when spawns took an hour (or even 15m) to come back, you wouldn't want to take a chance on someone tagging it first, which actually seems like an ironic argument to me (as in, the longer it takes, the more likely people should be to share the credit)...

I truly hope GW2 adds as much good to the genre as WoW did, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

-Alamar

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 19:14 ColoradoHoudini

Waiting for GW2 to come out is killing me!! I plan on testing the Mesmer and Guardian in the last BWE..as I think the Mesmer is getting severely undervalued by the fanbase..and might be the least-played class, so I wanna see what the lack of attention is all about.

Looking forward to the other starting areas as well. So far in the BWE's I've been VERY pleased.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 16:38 NKD

I don't know why developers continue to be so stupid as to state their game design philosophy. Design goals change over time for a number of reasons. This is especially true for an MMO where development will be on going for years.

All this will do is give critics a laundry list of claims to throw in their face when they don't make good on them. It's happened to EA and Blizzard for years. They make some big talk about their high and mighty principles, then throw them out the window when they aren't convenient.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 16:34 Mikus_Aurelius

Zadig wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 13:20:
That sounds utterly meaningless.

I'm a total GW2 fanboy and I agree that this is just fluff. Good game or bad game, every developer has a writer on staff that can write some flowery prose about their design goals. You know who else talks about how much they love and respect their players? Blizzard and EA.

Maybe you already believe that the GW2 devs are on the right track, in which case articles like these are just patting themselves on the back. If you're skeptical though, this article should do absolutely nothing to dispel your doubts.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 16:01 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 15:08:
Co-op is indeed key. It's amazing how much more fun and cool your fellwo players are when they don't have to fight for the same mobs and resources. I'm still blown away by how helpful and friendly the vast majority of people are simply by using this model. It boggles the mind no one has done it long before now. And yes, let's get some more beta action happening asap!

Different Dev mindset. Blizzard devs actually like the player base at each others throats.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 15:08 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 14:47 loomy

they were developing to these ideas during gw1. so that blows away the theory that they created this list to fit the game. believe it or not, arenanet developers are the real deal  

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 13:56 Wowbagger_TIP

Zadig wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 13:20:
It probably means something to someone there, but the question is whether their interpretation of it will actually make a fun game or not. It's far too easy to rationalize things after the fact and make whatever you did fit the criteria, or at least make an argument that it does. Then it's just a difference in standards between you and whoever else is evaluating it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 13:30 Fion

if they hadn't posted their 'golden rules' when making GW2 I probably could have called most of them. It's quite obvious when you play the game and interact with Arena Net developers that there has been a core structure to everything they do, and if I do say so myself.. they've succeeded on all of those 'golden rules'.

Edit: I'm with ya El Pit. Simply knowing so far in advance the date of the next BWE is killing me. It's only the fourth *cries*.. 2 1/2 bloody weeks of waiting to go. Eeesh..

But it's summer, so get out and do something fun and interesting with friends and family.. it'll make those 2.5 weeks go by in a flash.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 13:20 Zadig

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 12:53 El Pit

Need... more... beta... tests... NOW!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo