Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules

A new article on the ArenaNet Blog outlines "The Golden Rules" of Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMORPG sequel, saying every aspect of the game has been touched and shaped by one or more of them. They go into detail on each of the following precepts:

• Make the world come alive
  • Cooperation is key
  • Play the game, not the UI
  • Take risks
  • Do it well or don’t do it at all
  • Respect the player

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 6, 2012, 11:22 WarChilde

I find it interesting we have in the same thread people saying GW2 veers a bit too far from MMO conventions and people saying it is nothing but the same tired old MMO conventions.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 20:40 briktal

Fion wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 15:17:
briktal wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:22:
My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.

They have to make money somehow, and that's still better than say The Secret World, which has a monthly fee and still only gives two character slots, with extras costing you money. At least with GW2 there are in game ways to get gems, and almost everything you can buy at the store is also available in game in a variety of ways. Hell in BWE1 and 2 I 'bought' three extra character slots just by buying gems. It's very easy to make money if you know how to work the market (and you don't even have to be at an NPC to do it!) I also got a number of boosts, repair canisters, etc all from Mystic Chests and I didn't buy a single key for any of them, I got them via personal story rewards or drops in the world. Same for about two-dozen dyes.

Reading some of the below comments I can tell some folks either didn't actually play the game and are just saying they did (because of how factually wrong they are), or those people did some newbie zone stuff (1-15) in zones that were zerged and never got past level 10 or 15 and into the much more challenging content. To suggest that GW2 is just 'coast through the game it's so easy' couldn't be more wrong. If that were the case there wouldn't have been two dozen 'this game is too hard!' threads on the main forums during BWE1 and 2.

Yeah they have to make money somehow but could you imagine the shitstorm if a company like Blizzard did it?

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 20:30 Teddy

Axis wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 11:07:
Squirm I'm all for making our points, but you haven't made any specific ones at all. Just blind enthusiasm for a genre you are obviously fairly new to.

Funny, I have yet to see you make any specific points either.

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 15:17 Fion

briktal wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:22:
My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.

They have to make money somehow, and that's still better than say The Secret World, which has a monthly fee and still only gives two character slots, with extras costing you money. At least with GW2 there are in game ways to get gems, and almost everything you can buy at the store is also available in game in a variety of ways. Hell in BWE1 and 2 I 'bought' three extra character slots just by buying gems. It's very easy to make money if you know how to work the market (and you don't even have to be at an NPC to do it!) I also got a number of boosts, repair canisters, etc all from Mystic Chests and I didn't buy a single key for any of them, I got them via personal story rewards or drops in the world. Same for about two-dozen dyes.

Reading some of the below comments I can tell some folks either didn't actually play the game and are just saying they did (because of how factually wrong they are), or those people did some newbie zone stuff (1-15) in zones that were zerged and never got past level 10 or 15 and into the much more challenging content. To suggest that GW2 is just 'coast through the game it's so easy' couldn't be more wrong. If that were the case there wouldn't have been two dozen 'this game is too hard!' threads on the main forums during BWE1 and 2.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 11:07 Axis

Squirmer wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 07:44:
Axis wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 23:26:
^ Someone never played GW1 or realize a game sequel should improve upon (or in the very least equal) the gameplay of the original title.

I have played GW1 quite a lot. GW2 is certainly different but it makes great advances in the genre. They may not be advances that you like, but that's your problem. You're welcome to ignore the game if it's not appealing to you, but the fact remains your criticisms don't make sense.

GW2 is NOTHING like it's predecessor, and doesn't make great advances to anything. There's not a single aspect of it that hasn't been done before -- it's just a mash of all the faddy crap that has staled mmos.

Squirm I'm all for making our points, but you haven't made any specific ones at all. Just blind enthusiasm for a genre you are obviously fairly new to.

Yours truly,

Axis

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 09:22 briktal

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 07:53 Squirmer

Zetler wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 07:22:
Some people are calling GW2 the savoir of the MMO industry, well if this is the savoir then please let the genre die. For all it's pretentious "nextgen" trappings GW2 is just a over streamlined and soulless theme park. There are times when I'm playing this game where I had to go make coffee or take out the trash out and my quests still got done thanks to a zerg of nameless Charrs.

Its as if someone determined that WoW was too "hardcore" because it required a pulse and a person to be in front of the computer. So they engineer a MMO in which an antisocial drooling simpleton can complete the content. Why even bother with the game then? Why not just streamline it some more by following the load screen with a choice of level cap tier rewards for your class and a link to the cash shop??

Well you definitely haven't played the game, because I can't imagine that someone who has would say something this silly.

But on the off chance you are that silly ... First of all, they weren't your quests. If you were AFK, any events that started around you were just things that happened in the world, regardless of your presence. And if you were AFK, you didn't get rewarded for them.

Some of the events are quite easy to complete sometimes, but some are very difficult. One of the most common complaints after the beta weekends, in fact, was that the content was very hard. It's not consistent, because it's hard to be consistent with so many variables in public events, but overall the difficulty was much higher than most other MMOs. It's simply wrong to say you coast through the game, which also suggests you haven't actually played it.

You sound like a WoW (or some other MMO) player feeling threatened by GW2. I don't see why. There are many games out there that have the traditional trinity system, the traditional quest hub system, the traditional solo content system. There are plenty of games that will satisfy you. But it's not a bad thing that GW2 is doing things differently, and an awful lot of people seem to agree.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 07:44 Prez

I enjoyed Guild Wars well enough, despite it having some significant drawbacks, and I might evenbreak down and buy GW2, but this list sounds like the meaningless patronizing BS companies spew in an attempt to make customers think that they are the company that cares.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 07:44 Squirmer

Axis wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 23:26:
^ Someone never played GW1 or realize a game sequel should improve upon (or in the very least equal) the gameplay of the original title.

I have played GW1 quite a lot. GW2 is certainly different but it makes great advances in the genre. They may not be advances that you like, but that's your problem. You're welcome to ignore the game if it's not appealing to you, but the fact remains your criticisms don't make sense.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 07:22 Zetler

Some people are calling GW2 the savoir of the MMO industry, well if this is the savoir then please let the genre die. For all it's pretentious "nextgen" trappings GW2 is just a over streamlined and soulless theme park. There are times when I'm playing this game where I had to go make coffee or take out the trash out and my quests still got done thanks to a zerg of nameless Charrs.

Its as if someone determined that WoW was too "hardcore" because it required a pulse and a person to be in front of the computer. So they engineer a MMO in which an antisocial drooling simpleton can complete the content. Why even bother with the game then? Why not just streamline it some more by following the load screen with a choice of level cap tier rewards for your class and a link to the cash shop??

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 07:05 Jonjonz

Play the game, not the UI.

Watch your cool down animations much?

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 05:05 Acleacius

Isn't the team work, going to be necessary in the grouped instances? Afai can tell you guys are taking about the open world questing, not the instanced dungeons.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 04:41 Fion

NKD wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 01:21:

The problem I have with that is this: It eliminates reason for grief, drama, and competition, but it also eliminates reason for real cooperation. A bunch of people standing around doing their own thing while the game mechanics sort it out is not cooperation. Its just a bunch of people standing around. There's no real need for communication, leadership, or even much in the way of skill. My time in the beta was just basically watching a bunch of people run around attacking random mobs until the event ended. You could be a complete idiot and still get credit for it. There wasn't even an area-wide chat or anything.

First I'd say it sounds like your experience was BWE1 in low lvl areas were it was basically just 200 people zerging everything in the 1-15 zones.. and there was no 'zone' chat so nobody talked at all (seemingly). I can tell you from personal experience that that improved in BWE2 as the population thinned out a bit and people did talk and interact as there was a 'zone' chat.. and anything beyond lvl 15 actually does require some teamwork because even at that lvl, combat isn't what I'd call 'easy', especially against Champions. I was in a few 'teams' against champs that did wonderfully, came together with some cohesion, worked together and used good strategy and I can say I've scarcely ever felt that kind of connection in any game I've played.. and I've been playing games since pong.

To your main point, I would argue that everyone just doing their own thing and nobody actually talking isn't anything new. In WoW for example you can run dungeons with a pug and never speak a word beyond saying your ready to go. Hell you can even do that in a raid if everyone knows what they are doing. To add, in 'trinity' MMOGs people often aren't 'working together' any more than the folks work together and communicate when doing a big dynamic event in GW2. You have the DPS'ers doing their rotation and watching the DPS meter, the tank doing his job, the healer only hears a peep out of anyone when either they screw up or (more often) someone else does and they just shift the blame onto the healer. There is no real communication there, hell I'd go so far as to say these people aren't even really playing together in so far as their interaction with each other is minimal. They are playing the interface more than anything.. doing their rotation while watching their mods for the big 'hit' from the boss and making sure they aren't standing in the fire.

On your second part to think there are no roles at all in GW2 is wrong actually. There is no way to tank in the sense keeping a mob stuck on you instead of the guy next to you but that doesn't mean that having built in ways to take a few blows when up close and personal doesn't have the added benefit of giving another team mate a chance to back off the heat to use their heal etc. As well many of the professions have lots of utility built into them, ways to buff their team at crucial moments, to heal enough to give your heavy melee hitter a few seconds of extra soaking power before his own heal or protection utility to recharge.

Anyone who has run Ascalon Catacombs, especially explorable mode can tell you that just because there is no hard and fast trinity does not in the least mean that there is no team work or coordination involved. If anything, there's actually quite a bit more of it. Any party that consists of 'bunch of DPS guys zerging until shit dies', gets their ass handed to them.. and this is a lvl 30/35+ dungeon.

That's actually the beauty of the system. It has no classic 'trinity', but it's a very engaging, cooperative experience. Tactics, planning.. knowing your profession and how it interacts with others and the game itself are key.. even at lower levels (where as usually this stuff really doesn't matter for shit until end game).

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2012, 15:10.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 01:21 NKD

eunichron wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 23:39:
I love that I can walk up to an event and take part in it with no competition, and even walk away from it with a couple new people to talk to and run around with.

The problem I have with that is this: It eliminates reason for grief, drama, and competition, but it also eliminates reason for real cooperation. A bunch of people standing around doing their own thing while the game mechanics sort it out is not cooperation. Its just a bunch of people standing around. There's no real need for communication, leadership, or even much in the way of skill. My time in the beta was just basically watching a bunch of people run around attacking random mobs until the event ended. You could be a complete idiot and still get credit for it. There wasn't even an area-wide chat or anything. Which brings me to your next point...

Though, I am also with Cutter in that I think their staunch anti-"trinity" class design decision may be their Achilles heel. Even if they don't want to relegate players to a single class role choice, there are steps they could take for those players that want to play a tank or healer feel more valuable to the game. If they want class roles to be open ended, more player choice is not a bad thing.

This is the other problem. In a team, people have their roles and responsibilities. Successful teamwork requires a certain level of coordination. You can't just have a bunch of DPS guys zerging until shit dies just because some whiners on the forums don't like waiting a bit for support players. That's not teamwork. It's, once again, just a bunch of people standing around.

The desocialization of MMOs is a bane to the genre. You should have to be able to interact with other human beings on a conversational level and understand basic concepts of teamwork and role delegation before you can fully experience the game.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 00:38 Acleacius

Coop is king and it always will be, hail to the king, baby! W00tw00t  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 00:20 jdreyer

Hope this doesn't turn out to be anything like Brad Wardell's Gamer's Bill of Rights...  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 23:39 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 15:08:
Co-op is indeed key. It's amazing how much more fun and cool your fellwo players are when they don't have to fight for the same mobs and resources. I'm still blown away by how helpful and friendly the vast majority of people are simply by using this model. It boggles the mind no one has done it long before now. And yes, let's get some more beta action happening asap!

Different Dev mindset. Blizzard devs actually like the player base at each others throats.

The difference there is about 7.5 years of development and game cycles. It was that way in WoW because that is what was expected of an MMO. That's how it was in EQ, DaOC, and AC before WoW. I honestly think that without the player base explosion that WoW received near the end of TBC and during WotLK that these inherent design flaws would have never become apparent. Thankfully, that player base explosion happened and now we know what happens when players and developers start to realize that that kind of game design is not conducive to constructing and maintaining a community of players. From my experiences in the BWEs this is probably the best design decision that ANet made, and will hopefully carry over into future generation MMOs. I love that I can walk up to an event and take part in it with no competition, and even walk away from it with a couple new people to talk to and run around with.

Though, I am also with Cutter in that I think their staunch anti-"trinity" class design decision may be their Achilles heel. Even if they don't want to relegate players to a single class role choice, there are steps they could take for those players that want to play a tank or healer feel more valuable to the game. If they want class roles to be open ended, more player choice is not a bad thing.

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 23:26 Axis

Squirmer wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 22:42:
NKD wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:38:
All this will do is give critics a laundry list of claims to throw in their face when they don't make good on them.

But they are making good on them. We've played the game. We know.

I don't know what kind of problem you and Axis have, but it seems like either you haven't played the game at all, or you have some weird grudge against it. In any case your criticisms are nonsensical.

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 22:42 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:38:
All this will do is give critics a laundry list of claims to throw in their face when they don't make good on them.

But they are making good on them. We've played the game. We know.

I don't know what kind of problem you and Axis have, but it seems like either you haven't played the game at all, or you have some weird grudge against it. In any case your criticisms are nonsensical.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 21:17 NewMaxx

Alamar wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 19:15:
Back when spawns took an hour (or even 15m) to come back, you wouldn't want to take a chance on someone tagging it first, which actually seems like an ironic argument to me (as in, the longer it takes, the more likely people should be to share the credit)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

(very first sentence)

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo