Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Independence Day Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 5, 2012, 08:58 Mr. Tact

I'm a little bit surprised at iGoogle getting the axe. I thought it was supposed to be the centerpiece of the Google universe (even though I've never used it). Never heard of Mini. I had assumed Google Video had already been phased out after their purchase of YouTube. I'm guessing that's more of a "yeah, we are finally going to get around to killing it."  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 21:29 eRe4s3r

If google really drops iGoogle I might even drop gmail. Imo this is an incredible stupid decision. it's like google doesn't understand what people used iGoogle for. It was the perfect browser start page, calender synced across devices always visible with easy overview, gmail window, rss feeds... if they take that away, they take away our binding to google altogether. iGoogle was the first thing I see every morning for 6 years, they can not just end this service and think people will be happy.

Yes we still have the calender, and gmail and rss reader. But not on a single page, with simple but powerful included controls within that page, not with day-time dynamic backgrounds. .. I am still not even believing... It's like they train us to never touch anything from them because they might just randomly end the service. What's next, gmail? Youtube?

This one thing (iGoogle) makes me incredibly sour to google. Absolutely, bone headed and stupid decision.

Does anyone have an alternative to gmail that has a decent spam filter? Just for future considerations? And an alternative to the home page with calender that can sync with mobile devices?

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2012, 21:35.

7. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 20:08 Jivaro

Quboid wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:31:
It's my browser home page. A few news streams, my calendar and latest Facebook stuff; very handy.

Same. iGoogle has been pretty good for me for quite some time.

6. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 16:31 Quboid

It's my browser home page. A few news streams, my calendar and latest Facebook stuff; very handy.  

- Quboid

5. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 15:22 eRe4s3r

I use the iGoogle page religiously for quick checking my email account, there is nothing even remotely as easy to use than just activating the gmail tab in iGoogle which essentially runs a barebone gmail within iGoogle page, without having to manually load the thing.

Not sure what google smoked when they said there are apps that do this. No app can give you instant overview of your gmail account. The only apps I am aware off are basically cheap ass plugins that just give you notifications, but don't actually let you manage your gmail account without going into gmail.

4. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 12:55 Jim

Ratty wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 12:34:
I guess I use iGoogle. I just like a bunch of news feeds on my google start page. I think I started doing that a few years back then they started calling it iGoogle or something and now they're not. Big whoop de doo.

If iGoogle is what they called the customized start page, than I guess I have heard of it (and used it occasionally until Google+ was introduced).

Jim

3. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 12:34 Ratty

I guess I use iGoogle. I just like a bunch of news feeds on my google start page. I think I started doing that a few years back then they started calling it iGoogle or something and now they're not. Big whoop de doo.  

2. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 12:33 Sepharo

I really wish they would bring back Google Sets... Was just looking for something yesterday where that would've helped.  

1. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 11:55 Jim

Mini = never heard of it
Video = thought it was killed off years ago
iGoogle = never heard of it

Jim

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo