Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vanguard F2P Details

The Vanguard July 2012 Producer's Letter shares the news that the MMORPG is "approaching the final stretch" of its switch to free-to-play. They are now revealing more about how this will work. Here's a bit:

Today, weve released our free-to-play feature matrix and FAQ (available here) including answers to some of your previous questions, along with information about the upcoming free-to-play transition. A huge thank you to the Vanguard community for your ongoing and helpful feedback (we really are listening so please keep sending us your thoughts!). Your feedback combined with our previous experience transitioning legacy games over to our Free to Play. Your Way model contributed to the development of what we think is the best free-to-play strategy for Vanguard and our players in that we will be providing the most compelling offer for both free and subscribing players.

Many of the matrix features may look familiar as they closely mirror Sony Online Entertainments other free-to-play games in that were offering more flexible options for every type of player, however, there are a few differences; most obvious being the number of membership tiers. Aside from our free-to-play offering, we determined it was in the best interest of our players to eliminate the Silver membership and instead provide primarily a Gold membership offering. In doing so, weve moved a few elements which would normally fall under a subscription category, and opened them up to the players for free.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 13, 2012, 19:34 Ant

I played its beta and it was OK. I wonder how it is now.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 5, 2012, 09:34 wtf_man

1AngryGamer wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:16:
GWell there is a novel fucking idea. You mean like...EVERQUEST BACK IN 19 FUCKING 99 before 2004 and MMO's got ruined by WoW?

Is that what you mean? WHOA HOW NOVEL.

It's nothing like Everquest's forced grouping. Not even close.
Since you obviously haven't played it... you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 18:58:
I agree. And if it's anything like the first game, I know I'll get bored pretty quickly. I thought the first Guild Wars was a horrible game.

Its nothing like the first game either. The first game is heavily instanced, this game is not... it's more like a regular MMO in a "persistant world" aspect.

If you guys are going to bash the game... at least do your homework first and read up on the gameplay (there are plenty of press previews out there), since you can't speak from experience.

13. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 5, 2012, 09:16 Angrius Maximis

Guild Wars 2 has been so played up by PVP dorks I cant wait to see it fall on its face.

Its not even all that revolutionary.

Bunch of morons. Its like the Torchlight 2 fans

"it encourages people to work together"

Well there is a novel fucking idea. You mean like...EVERQUEST BACK IN 19 FUCKING 99 before 2004 and MMO's got ruined by WoW?

Is that what you mean? WHOA HOW NOVEL.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2012, 09:24.

12. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 18:58 Steele Johnson

PHJF wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 11:12:
Honestly once guild wars 2 comes out why even bother with most of these older games?

People keep saying that but I've yet to see the evidence substantiating GW2 as the second coming of Christ. All I have to go on are videos and while some of the ideas presented are interesting (as in, "gee, this is something that obviously should have been implemented into MMOs a long fucking time ago"), it still mostly looks like standard MMORPG.

I agree. And if it's anything like the first game, I know I'll get bored pretty quickly. I thought the first Guild Wars was a horrible game.

11. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 15:16 saluk

Honestly once guild wars 2 comes out why even bother with most of these older games?

People keep saying that but I've yet to see the evidence substantiating GW2 as the second coming of Christ. All I have to go on are videos and while some of the ideas presented are interesting (as in, "gee, this is something that obviously should have been implemented into MMOs a long fucking time ago"), it still mostly looks like standard MMORPG.

I guess a little better than anything else in almost every respect just isn't quite good enough? Non "standard" mmos stopped being a viable dev choice for anyone but indies who can't finish or polish a product a long time ago. Of course in the case of Vanguard, you have a pretty standard mmo by a non-indie that is not finished or polished. There are nice ideas there but it never came together for me. I'd rather go forward, even if it's in small steps, than backward.

10. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 11:27 wtf_man

Well... it isn't a second coming.
It is a relatively large step in the right direction for the stale and oversaturated MMO genre, but you are right... at its core, it is still a standard MMORPG.

The huge factor for PvE is that it does encourage (not force) players to cooperate, without having to actually group up. This puts the 'M' back in MMO, IMO. The huge factor for PvP / WvW is that everyone is boosted to level cap, with only a slight advantage to those that are actually at level cap, so one doesn't have to PvE if they don't want to (one can actually level up on PvP / RvR only... even though their relative level is at cap))... and it is a modern version of DAoC RvR, which most agree is one of the best PvP systems out there for MMOs.

For MMO veterans... it is a bit refreshing. For MMO noobs it is probably the new benchmark to compare future MMOs against (Gameplay-wise... not WoW Population-wise).

If you play the game with the grounded expectations that I have laid out... you probably will enjoy it. If you expect the "second coming"... you won't.

9. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 11:12 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 11:05 Veterator

The way bard songs were in Vanguard was probably the single thing that stuck with me about that game. Everything else was mostly bad.

It crashed like clockwork for me. Depending on my resolution and texture settings the game would crash every X minutes. Zoning would make it happen more often.

Couple that with nice death penalties and it was a waste of time playing because I'd just die and lose the last hour or two of progression after I crashed like clockwork.

I highly doubt they've fixed much of the very poor performance that game had... being near water was like a slideshow.

The world was cool and interesting, but too many issues.

7. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 03:28 Acleacius

I sincerely hope this works it's one of my favorite games, BUT it's soe and there's no way I can think of it passes the $10 a month full access test. Not to mention they are preventing F2P from selling the Broker. They still kept trying to charge full price, even though full price obviously didn't work. Sure their previous model of $15 a month would work when they were one of the only mmogs available, now it's just delusional.
Selling items via the Broker system is limited to Gold members. Free players are also able to purchase items via the Broker system.
Free players can equip items that are designated as common. Gold members can equip items with any rarity designation.
You can't wear anything that isn't *common* or sell any loot on the Broker. It's also true what everyone says about graphics and animations. Except for the fact that it certainly looks better than WoW graphically and millions still play. In all fairness WoW is more of a social experience which is given it so much longevity, essentially it's the Facebook of mmogs.

There are some pretty amazing things about Vanguard. Iirc, there are more that 100 individually crafted, created and themed dungeons. They are free roam, not scripted or instanced based, only the Raids are instanced. Boats are pretty awesome and you get a mount at level 10, you will need it. Vast and huge world, with three major themes Desert, Forest and Asian.

It's probably more personal experience (since I was there at the start) but at least att even in the context of their dated graphics it's pretty visually stunning. The scope and magnitude, not to mention it's done with Art Assets (not layer upon layer of eye trickery like mapping) making it much more stylized. At least to me 5 years ago, it was gorgeous with an amazing sound track. It was light, never heavy or over whelming, making it perfect for exploring the huge world.

It was very innovative as well, think the flying mounts were cool in Wow? It was Vanguard as well as things like combat Heroic Opportunities and some of the most innovative Player Classes in any game.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 01:34 Illumin

Its a decent game just not good enough to pay for. Honestly once guild wars 2 comes out why even bother with most of these older games?  

5. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 01:15 smg77

Too bad that SOE is still around.  

4. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 3, 2012, 23:55 Zyrxil

There were a lot of things to like about Vanguard- the classes, the cities, the huge non-instanced landscapes, the crafting, the very and unique Diplomacy 'card game' that revealed a lot of extra story. Hwever all of that was tied to an absolutely atrocious engine. The game has just godawful animations, an insanely low view distance, terrible models and textures, completely unreasonable low framerates on high powered machines, and general lack of polish in absolutely everything. I loved it, but you couldn't pay me to go back if engine and graphics wise it's still even 25% the same.  

3. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 3, 2012, 23:26 Frijoles

I recall thinking it was "okay". Not worth the subscription cost, though. That was years ago. I'm surprised as well that they're still around and still working on this. I thought they had long since finished this.

I'd login and have a look, but.. well, GW2 and all. I can wait a couple more months.

2. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 3, 2012, 21:23 Bill Borre

I dunno. The people in EQ2 chat seemed to think highly of it. For free, I'll give it a shot.  

1. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 3, 2012, 21:04 Rattlehead

Wow this piece of garbage is still around? How did they keep people paying for this so long?  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo