Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2012, 02:21 Jensen

The upgrade to Mountain Lion is free for the retina MBP, and I believe it's supposed to come out this month.

I haven't used the rMBP, and I assume you haven't either, so there isn't much point in arguing further about it because of a reported performance issue in one app that is due to be replaced this month.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2012, 02:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2012, 00:55 Kitkoan

Jensen wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 23:58:
Apple is usually pretty good about this... they'd rather not release a feature than release a half finished feature.

Calling it one of the worst screw-ups though? It's getting excellent reviews overall, even for an Apple product.

I'd rather view the web on a retina display that scrolls at 20fps than a non-retina at 50fps
(games on the other hand....)

Thats the issue here, it is a half finished feature that they haven't even mentioned when it will be finished. And it possibly will be finished when the next OS comes out, and unless I'm wrong you will have to pay for that. So not only waiting for a fix for a half-finished feature but possible needing to pay to fix it.

I see if a possible worst screw up of this year because Apple went through so much time and effort to hype this up and declare is was so amazing to release this half-baked project that shouldn't have been out the door yet. For something that was supposed to be so "amazing and revolutionary" it lacks massively and has no date when it will be fixed or addressed to make it decent in the real world. Most people use a laptop to surf the internet and this machine is hurting to do that. And to make it worse, it's under Apple "pro" series, aka Professional series. If its hurting to do the very basics, what professional work do you really think it's going to do take real power?

And I've seen the excellent reviews, they all have based it on the the screens resolution in one section but then in every other part always bring down the resolution to half the size and use that as their marker for testing. Whats the point of testing it at half size when what makes this a unique laptop is the bigger screen size? Why do the ones who give great reviews to this laptop never test it at full resolution and then judge what its like? At that screen size you might as well be reviewing the non-retina MBP.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2012, 01:00.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 23:58 Jensen

Apple is usually pretty good about this... they'd rather not release a feature than release a half finished feature.

Calling it one of the worst screw-ups though? It's getting excellent reviews overall, even for an Apple product.

I'd rather view the web on a retina display that scrolls at 20fps than a non-retina at 50fps
(games on the other hand....)

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 23:08 Kitkoan

Thats great... whenever that happens.

Like with all companies, the customer shouldn't be a beta-tester without being told up front. And it should have been addressed before it went out, again, other companies get flak for doing this exact thing "Yes, there is problem x, but we will issue a patch for it... some time in the future not sure when."

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 22:45 Jensen

From the review you linked:
... Iím doing something Iíve never done before in an Apple review. We rarely give out Editorís Choice awards at AnandTech, and Iím quite possibly the stingiest purveyor of them. I feel that being overly generous with awards diminishes their value. In this case, all of the effort Apple has put into bringing a Retina Display to the MacBook Pro is deserving of one.

Apple thinks that these displays are so great that they are willing to make compromises they normally wouldn't make. They made the new iPad thicker and heavier with worse battery life than the old one. The change in the display for the MBPr is even more important because the display was also upgraded from a TN to an IPS.

The scrolling issue should be fixable with better software. The MBPr only has 65% more pixels than the much less powerful iPad, which usually has very smooth scrolling.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 20:49 Kitkoan

While I'm guessing I'm going to see a lot of hate after I say this but I'm going ahead anyways.

A tech screw up that could have been on the list I feel is the Macbook Pro with Retina. Its one of those products that sounds great on paper but now that people are starting to use it and spec it, it's starting to sound like a screw up more then anything.

Reviews like this one are stating that the systems are having problems with viewing websites like facebook and are having an average frame rate of 20, with the new OS upgrade bumping it up to 20-30 FPS. This just came out and it's already having issues with keeping up with website scrolling? And on top it won't be upgraded for a year.

Its one of those tech ideas that sounded great, but didn't work out as well as planned.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo