Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. State of AAA Jul 3, 2012, 02:53 jdreyer

Okay, this is just stupid:

Epic Games, based in the unlikely city of Raleigh, North Carolina, is rapidly emerging as the poster child for survival in a post-AAA game industry landscape.

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is called the "Research Triangle" and is a magnet for highly intelligent and educated people and has several prominent universities like Duke and UNC pumping out fresh talent. It's also lush and verdant with nice weather and a relaxed lifestyle. It's hardly unlikely, quite the opposite: it's an obvious and excellent place to base a software company.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. State of AAA Jul 3, 2012, 02:40 jdreyer

From the article:
Not only does the widening technological gap between consoles and PCs siphon profit and attention from AAA games developed for the consoles, but it puts the major publishers into a double disadvantage considering the staggering losses they generally attribute to developing strictly for the PC. Multiple sources speaking anonymously have pegged the PC game piracy rate at close to 90%, meaning only 10% of the people playing AAA games in the PC platform have actually paid for it. A new generation of console tech would cut that source of attrition off at the knees.

The thing is that most of that 90% wouldn't buy the game anyway, but some of them certainly would. I wonder what an objective assessment of that would be.

One way I like to think about it is comparing how I buy games now with Steam sales making them so cheap vs. how I bought them 10 years ago, when games were $50 and rarely dropped in price. Back then, I was much more selective and would play games much longer. I would buy games with mod and user created level potential like Quake and Unreal Tournament and Total Annihilation, so I could get free content, or build my own.

These days I buy games on a whim, which is easy when they are $5 or $10, and have many unplayed games. I think of pirates similarly, they pirate a lot of games, but probably only play a few of those religiously. If they had to pay full price for every game, they'd be a lot more selective, and not have nearly as many games in their libraries.

I enjoy AAA games at least as much as other types, so I hope they don't go away. I hope they can figure out a way to keep making them, even while providing paying customers with a good experience, and not overburdening with DRM.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 2, 2012, 21:07 nin

Man, I sure hope THQ can hold out long enough to ship (a quality) SR4...I sure am doubtful, though.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo