Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Total War: Rome II Announced

The Creative Assembly officially announces Total War: Rome II, following the hint last week that such a revelation was coming. The strategy sequel is expected next year, and in a coordinated unveiling, there are various previews to accompany the news. There are first looks on IGN (where they also have a live trailer), Computer and Video Games, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and Shacknews. There are also video interviews on PC Gamer. Here are a pair of screenshots, and here's the announcement:

SEGA(R) of America, Inc. and SEGA(R) Europe, Ltd. today announced that The Creative Assembly, creator of the multi award-winning Total War(TM) series of PC strategy games, is currently developing Total War: Rome II(TM) for PC.

Encompassing one of the best-known periods in world history, Total War: Rome II will combine the most expansive turn-based campaign and the largest, most cinematic real-time battles yet seen in any game.

Total War: Rome II will sink players into the dangerous political machinations of Rome's senate, while asking them to struggle with family dilemmas and question the loyalty of 'friends' and allies. Leading the greatest army ever seen into battle will be just one challenge players will face at the head of the world's first superpower.

Will they help forge an empire? Restore the Republic? Or grasp the reins of power for themselves, and assume the hated title of tyrant? Who will they conquer? Who will they betray? Who will they sacrifice?

How far will they go for Rome?

"Our games have always encompassed a grand vision," said Mike Simpson, Creative Director. "But we're now pushing that vision at both ends of the spectrum. From the immense reach of the sandbox campaign right down to the human-level drama of a single warrior on the battlefield, we're aiming for an unprecedented level of detail and scale."

"In our 25th year of games development, it feels fitting to return to our most critically acclaimed era," continued Rob Bartholomew, Brand Director. "There's been a multi-generational leap in technology since the original game and we are ready to set another benchmark in gaming."

Total War: Rome II is due for release in 2013. For more information, and to view the Rome II announcement trailer, visit www.totalwar.com/romeII .

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 3, 2012, 00:27 MisterBenn

Yeah, this is amazing news, Rome was my favourite setting for Total War by a long shot. I really hope the open world capaign will still be there with the whole choice of nations to be... it was great to play as the backward nation of hillfaring spearmen and ignore all the world's politics as you concentrate on fucking up your hated neighbours from the next set of hills.

Strangely, the trailer reminded me of real actor trailers of the past like Command and Conquer! Oh and it was nice of the dog from Skyrim to make a cameo

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 22:45 MadBoris

Looks like a Must buy already...

Alot of good reading, several vids, several screenshots...

improved AI, awesome zoom, pushing realism and immersiveness, boats docking on shore in mission...bring it on...but don't you damn rush...

Thank goodness for another awesome dev holding out for a quality PC title, always one of the greats.

Sounds like they adopted the SupCom style full zoom feature, awesome innovation, should be used more often.

Another great total war game, not bastardized by some online only mechanic. Real AI, yeah.

I'll buy 2 if it's great, just because. Or you can have my permission to charge $75-$100.
We have to take care of our best PC devs that provide single player without being able to charge you monthly for it, while others are farming money instead of making awesome immersive PVE games and pushing boundaries.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2012, 22:56.

24. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 20:37 NegaDeath

LOVED the original Rome, When I saw those (hopefully) in-game screens I giggled like a little schoolgirl.  

23. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 18:42 Dmitri_M

Never liked the Roman setting much myself. Takes me back to boring Sunday afternoons watching public jungle tv, bland documentaries about Caesar filmed in the 1970s aired in the 1990s.

I played the original TW Shogun and only picked the series up again with Shogun 2. It's great that this mainstay of AAA PC strategy games is carrying on though, and is remaining PC.

22. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 18:39 Efflixi

If those are REAL in-game screenshots... i'm not going to be heard from for a month after this comes out.  

21. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 18:24 dj LiTh

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY[/url]

Replace the girl in the video with a box of RTW2....

I'm so happy, and sleepy

20. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 18:21 Burrito of Peace

Awwww....FUCK YEAH! I still play the shit out of R:TW because it is, in my opinion, the best of the entire TW series.  

19. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 18:00 tomigun

Yes Yes Yes!!!!  

18. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 14:20 eunichron

Mondo wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 13:58:
Jesus Christ, if I read one more of you guys say that about WW1 I'm going to lose it. That happened on the Western Front, and still wasn't the entire war. The Eastern front was open season. You should check out this game Toy Soldiers and see how fun WW1 can be.

I always liked the reporter's bit about dismembered bodies and guts hanging from the trees (I believe he compared it to a Christmas tree). Not bothering to bury the dead because they would just be exhumed by artillery barrages. Guys being ripped, literally, in half by machine gun fire. Entire battalions being annihilated in a single battle. I'd like to see more WWI games, but I really don't think anyone could get it right.

As for Rome II... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

17. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 13:58 Mondo

Jesus Christ, if I read one more of you guys say that about WW1 I'm going to lose it. That happened on the Western Front, and still wasn't the entire war. The Eastern front was open season. You should check out this game Toy Soldiers and see how fun WW1 can be.  

16. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 13:43 Doma

AH YEAH!

What I am curious about though is the moddability.

Every game since MTW:2 has been pretty closed when it comes to modding.

Hopefully, with the new engine, they realize that MTW:2 is still selling because of awesome mods and that it is actually in their best interest to support it.

15. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 12:40 eRe4s3r

Ah.. mhh I meant diplomacy AI  

14. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 12:09 bhcompy

RailWizard wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:18:
They said they finally solved the AI contradiction problem in Total War games... meaing the AI wants to be your best friend and also wants to murder you in your sleep. Well on more, it either hates you and it will make you feel hated, or it likes you, in which case it will not plot against you unless they have a strong incentive. If they do it right, the AI might very well for the first time feel "human"

But I am a bit stumped as to how they worded their features and PR.. does this mean we can only play as Rome because in Rome 1 we were not forced to play rome, and indeed the most fun was to be had with the non-roman factions, throwing heads at enemies and flaming pigs ftw!

Other than pathing issues, I don't know what the AI prob is/was. I remember murdering the fuck out of armies that were way bigger than mine. i.e. This was recent mind you.. Screenshot.

Originally, you had to beat the game with Rome IIRC. Which I never did, but I came close, yet later I noticed all of the factions opened up anyway. So yeah not sure wtf happened there.

In RTW, you played as a Roman family/faction, but in the Barbarian expansion you could play as one of the Barbarian nations.

Anyways, RTW is one of the best games ever, period, so hopefully this game lives up to it somehow.

13. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:56 RailWizard

Forgot to mention I hope they get whoever did the music to do it again, but just noticed the live trailer, and at the end you hear a familiar piece. Gave me a little shiver heh. Very glad they are paying homage to the old score as it was awesome.

Also couldn't help but be reminded of the HBO series with the live actors, which could add a whole bunch of new flavor to it.

Only piss off is it's a year away and we'll probably all be dead by then. lol

12. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:37 RailWizard

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:18:
They said they finally solved the AI contradiction problem in Total War games... meaing the AI wants to be your best friend and also wants to murder you in your sleep. Well on more, it either hates you and it will make you feel hated, or it likes you, in which case it will not plot against you unless they have a strong incentive. If they do it right, the AI might very well for the first time feel "human"

But I am a bit stumped as to how they worded their features and PR.. does this mean we can only play as Rome because in Rome 1 we were not forced to play rome, and indeed the most fun was to be had with the non-roman factions, throwing heads at enemies and flaming pigs ftw!

Other than pathing issues, I don't know what the AI prob is/was. I remember murdering the fuck out of armies that were way bigger than mine. i.e. This was recent mind you.. Screenshot.

Originally, you had to beat the game with Rome IIRC. Which I never did, but I came close, yet later I noticed all of the factions opened up anyway. So yeah not sure wtf happened there.

11. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:33 Illumin

I always thought WW1 was pretty cool. The first war with airplanes and tanks, and machine guns. Sure they weren't as awesome as WW2 gear but it was the first time any of that stuff had ever been seen on a battlefield. Pretty epic IMO.  

10. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:27 eRe4s3r

Yeah, who'd want to play 300 turns of endless trench warfare with 100m gains and losses a month. All you could do a round is choose what to shell, with what ammo, and when to storm (which will often end in so little gain a zoomed out total war map wouldn't even show any progression).

I am actually glad WW1 is passed over in gaming because as far as wars goes this one was not just boring as hell but a complete waste of human life. It was an absolutely retarded war, in every way. Except, maybe, on the sea.

9. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:18 eRe4s3r

8. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:16 RailWizard

Oh well. At the very least, this should get those retards on twcenter to SHUT UP about Victorian/WWI: Total War. It will NEVER happen. Who seriously would get amped about a game like that?

lol there is a very good reason there are no WW1 games, it was the most boring war ever. Summed up= trenches + mustard gas. woohoo.

7. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 11:14 RailWizard

Please do not fuck this up!  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo