Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 13, 2012, 13:06 Ant

VoodooV wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 13:23:
DOS is dead, use WinPE or SystemRescueCD if you need an alternative boot
DOS and other text OS rule!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 11:44 Ecthelion

Speaking of keyboard shortcuts, I could tell the other day at work that I got a "new gen" ISP tech on the phone. He was helping the client diagnose her internet connection (I was on the phone remotely, so the non-techie client had to be walked through the steps by the ISP guy), and he had her release/renew her IP, and he didn't tell her about the all-important Up-cursor key shortcut. Ever since DOSkey came out (thankfully it's been built into the command shell for years now), I've used the up and down cursor shortcuts. I guess the guy wasn't too much of a "new gen" tech though, because at least he didn't have her release and renew through the Network control GUI. It just boggles my mind that so many people don't know about the DOSkey shortcuts, when ipconfig practically screams out for them.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 07:40 Spektr

What's coming after Generation Z? Humanity 2.0?  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 23:57 RenownWolf

Techie714 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 16:21:
LOL! Nice! Yea I think most the folks at Blues are close in age at least Gen X. It's always nice to hear from a client that thinks you do good quality work. I'm of the mindset that cutting corners will just lead to more problems. Fix the issue & then go back & double check it to make sure it does not happen again.

I am a Gen Y (I dislike the whole gen system, but that is where I fall) and I could not imagine a system without console access. I don't work in tech support but sometimes help others with their pcs and even deal with my own.

It was sad to see at uni during my comp sci courses the people who had no idea how to use command line interfaces... the linux class was hilarious after doing the course on Windows based command prompt.

I've also heard the "I think you do a better job because you don't even need the mouse". I love hot keys, especially since I spent half my time using a laptop on the move. I hate touch pads so hot keys are far more efficient.

http://www.renownwolf.com

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 19:41 PropheT

There are way too many tools that are just faster and easier to use in command line than any GUI version has provided (ipconfig and netstat being two I use every single day). Net use gives feedback and sometimes even results that you wouldn't otherwise see with a normal network share mapping in Windows.

Maybe they mention it in the article (I should read it but didn't), but the command line doesn't need to go anywhere because while it might not be mandatory for using a system, it is mandatory for fixing it and supporting it. In my experience the newer people hitting the field who don't know how to use it for support are crippled in their ability to fix a lot of otherwise simple issues.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 19:20 Tom

You could save some keystrokes by typing "start ." instead.

Also useful: "cd | clip" and then paste into whatever bit of GUI that requires a path.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 18:29 Frijoles

I use it everyday. In fact, I always have at least one open, sometimes two or three. It's faster to move around than using the mouse (thanks to auto-complete). I use it to move to a folder, and then do "explorer ." if I need to use explorer.

The day they remove it is the day I stop using Windows.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 17:13 space captain

if you work on apple or linux machines, command line is requisite stuff

its not going away because a GUI with equivalent functionality would be retarded huge and confusing

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 16:21 Techie714

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 16:17:
Techie714 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 15:51:
LOL, It's like we all have the same jobs...I used it this morning too. Well it was technically a batch file to find out why a back-up didn't kick off this weekend. =)

There is a definite devision (as seen in previous post) as to old school tech support guys and new school tech support.

I once had a client that I handed off to a younger guy so I could focus on bigger clients, and something went wrong and I had to go on scene to help him out. I fixed it, he left, and I stayed and talked to the client for a while. She said that they missed me, and knew that I know what I am doing because "you don't use a mouse" when you fix computers. hehehehhe

I still carry a win98 boot disk in my toolbox.

LOL! Nice! Yea I think most the folks at Blues are close in age at least Gen X. It's always nice to hear from a client that thinks you do good quality work. I'm of the mindset that cutting corners will just lead to more problems. Fix the issue & then go back & double check it to make sure it does not happen again.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 16:17 xXBatmanXx

Techie714 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 15:51:
LOL, It's like we all have the same jobs...I used it this morning too. Well it was technically a batch file to find out why a back-up didn't kick off this weekend. =)

heheh I USED to. I still do some on the side, but I mostly jumped ot of the nightmare of network support. Not much has changed in the last 10 years when I did it everyday.....

There is a definite devision (as seen in previous post) as to old school tech support guys and new school tech support.

I once had a client that I handed off to a younger guy so I could focus on bigger clients, and something went wrong and I had to go on scene to help him out. I fixed it, he left, and I stayed and talked to the client for a while. She said that they missed me, and knew that I know what I am doing because "you don't use a mouse" when you fix computers. hehehehhe

I still carry a win98 boot disk in my toolbox.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 15:51 Techie714

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 13:23 VoodooV

DOS is dead, use WinPE or SystemRescueCD if you need an alternative boot  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 13:07 nin

Already used it at least 3 times this morning at work, so...no.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 13:01 xXBatmanXx

reisub wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 12:50:
I use it all the time for various things, so yeah, no. No problem with tools that make it redundant for most though.

#1 problem with people's computers:
I can't get on the internet

There is no quicker or better tool than command line to diagnose and solve the problem in literally seconds....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 12:50 reisub

I use it all the time for various things, so yeah, no. No problem with tools that make it redundant for most though.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 12:43 Silicon Avatar

I haven't used the command line in ages.

There's no particular reason to get rid of it though.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 11:49 xXBatmanXx

Has the Command Line Outstayed Its Welcome?

No. It is the best troubleshooting tool out there.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo